• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Question about drumsticks

Started by Corpse, December 09, 2004, 05:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corpse

Something like 2 weeks ago I strted feeling pain in my right forearm while playing. the pain stops when I stop playing.
I know I should take a break BUt somehow the longest break I could take was 2 days... ::) somehow I all the time find mysef playing...  ::)
Anyway I usually use 5B drumsticks and I have the chepest ones out there right now, but today I decided to play a bit with my Zildjian Drumsticks (Travis Barker model) and for some strange reason The pain was allmost gone....Could It have been because of the sticks???? ???

AutoCrat

I had a similar problem, I tried some sticks that were too long for me, and it caused shoulder pain, reverted back to my old smaller cheaper sticks, and the pain is gone...

MOUSE

Sure, ergonomics of sticks. The balance point, weight, thickness, lenth and your grip are all inportant to relaxing and not causing body stress. You will play heaps better with the right combo.

I found due to having short arms i was over reaching (even with drums close in). Longer sticks (and a little thinner) solved the stress problem i had and i play much better.
It's so good that there are plenty of models to choose from these days.

Chip Donaho

Try lighter sticks and maybe you've got a "death grip" with that hand? Stretch.....Then play relaxed, that may also help. I have small hands, and if I play with thicker sticks my forearm pumps up. That's why I've used 7A for years. They just fit "me" better....   ;)

Corpse

I've just switched to 5A  from 5B....the situation seems to improve....

Vintage Ludwig

I usually use 5b pro mark, but sometimes I'll get a little burn or pain and thats when I drop down to 5a.  Theyre a little lighter, and that takes care of the problem.  

RobertWiiand

I think you should check your wrist, I hade an injury that worked kinda of like yours, when I played it hurt but when I didn't play I didn't feel anything... So I kept playing for about a week and after that I couldn't play for like thrre months so I would say... take it easy and if you EVER feel any kind of pain in your body while playing, check it up ASAP!!

Chill!

MOUSE

Changing from 5B to A you may feel a loss in power feel if you are a rocker. My experience when moving to an A  was to use extra length sticks to compensate. I use Vater Power 5A, Vater XD 5A, and Promark Intruder, and all are great.

Changing to a narrower stick helped improve my drumming finesse, feel, and speed.