Topic: DW collector or SONOR Designer?  (Read 18226 times)

xdrummer2000

DW collector or SONOR Designer?
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2004, 04:17 PM »
DW Collectors v.s. Sonor Designer

Neither. They sound great but are too expensive. If I were you, I'd go for something like a Yamaha Absolute, A Tama Starclassic, or a Pearl Masters. All of these have birch or maple options. Maple is maple, and birch is birch. The only difference may be in shell thickness. In other words, If I bought a starclassic or a masters, then I would save, literally, $2000+. DW Collectors, Pork Pie Custom, Pearl Masterworks, and all those other top end kits cost around $6000. You can get a kit with excellent features, construction, and sound, for about half of that if you buy something a bit cheaper. This would leave you enough to upgrade your heads, cymbals, and other stuff. So, look into other maple kits(or birch if that's what you want) that are cheaper, and then get one of those, after trying them out and comparing them of course. Hope this helps.

justdave01

Re:DW collector or SONOR Designer?
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2004, 04:27 PM »
I've got a Craviotto snare and I love it. Not counting on being able to get shells with the same time and effort that went into the snare. As far as "customs". There are a good many companies offering "customs"and  most just take a Keller shell, which I'm not that fond of, and assemble with there idea of good lugs, etc. Don't really want to fork out that kinda dough and not have someone standing behind it either.  Good points about the SONOR repair parts. I don't speak German either. From what I understand, the high ends don't really have many problems though. Even on the older sets. As for the classics, I don't want to gig on a set of '71 Ludwigs, or Slingerlands. That puts me back to the two toughest(over egineered), nicest sounding drum Kits out there, DW and SONOR. Not necessarily in that order. Really don't care for Pearl (even the Masters), And I really don't want a drum made by a Motorcycle company. I do like the American made thing that DW has going. Keep 'em coming please. These have all been great points for me to think about. Happy New Year.

justdave01

« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2004, 04:30 PM »
Let me also say, and I hope this comes across humbly, I'm not concerned about cash so if you had your dream kit, of the two which would it be. Not worried about cash but still want the quality that "I believe" I payed for. Thanks again crew.

xdrummer2000

« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2004, 04:52 PM »
I've got a Craviotto snare and I love it. Not counting on being able to get shells with the same time and effort that went into the snare. As far as "customs". There are a good many companies offering "customs"and  most just take a Keller shell, which I'm not that fond of, and assemble with there idea of good lugs, etc. Don't really want to fork out that kinda dough and not have someone standing behind it either.  Good points about the SONOR repair parts. I don't speak German either. From what I understand, the high ends don't really have many problems though. Even on the older sets. As for the classics, I don't want to gig on a set of '71 Ludwigs, or Slingerlands. That puts me back to the two toughest(over egineered), nicest sounding drum Kits out there, DW and SONOR. Not necessarily in that order. Really don't care for Pearl (even the Masters), And I really don't want a drum made by a Motorcycle company. I do like the American made thing that DW has going. Keep 'em coming please. These have all been great points for me to think about. Happy New Year.

Pearl has a series higher in quality than masters. It is called the masterworks series. The masterworks is the best definition of a custom kit. Pearl doesn't buy keller shells for this series. Instead, they select a wood that you want, or a combination of woods that you want, and a shell, with a thickness, amount of plies, and your favorite finish, which you can make yourself or take from their selection of finishes, and then create a custom kit, with custom shells, with a custom finish, and with painstaking detail, done my master builders and wood craftsmen. But they are as expensive as they are good. A 5-piece kit from them in that series would cost around $6000, close to a DW or Pork Pie Kit.

sirdrumalot

« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2004, 10:08 PM »
It is called the masterworks series. The masterworks is the best definition of a custom kit.

Yes they are custom kits but  if you really want to look at some companies that only make custom drums, you're looking at Ayotte, Modern drum shop, Fibes etc.

Offline Chris Whitten

• Honorary VIP
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2005, 03:55 AM »
Well there are only 4 here at this time and ones in Puerto Rico- ooops,
I'd hardly call that "littered"- nobody is buying them either

Just to clarify.....
I only said 'Ebay is littered with DW and Sonor'
I didn't mention 'Designer'.

Offline Chris Whitten

• Honorary VIP
« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2005, 04:11 AM »
Good points about the SONOR repair parts. I don't speak German either.
Sonor are an international company that has a long term relationship with a US distributor. I notice no one is suggesting avoiding Tama or Yamaha because they don't speak Japanese.
In reality, if you absolutely had to call Germany, I can almost guarantee that 99% of the people in Customer Service would speak perfect English.
If money is no object and you want to be patriotic, what about buying Noble & Cooley?
They have some Horizon Series shells sitting at the factory that would make a sensational sounding kit and would be instantly 'rare'.
Also, Ronn Dunnett builds kits ocassionally and Peter Stanbridge makes stunning hand crafted kits. Personally I get a kick out of communicating with the guy that's building my kit. As opposed to the guy in his 20's, working on commission and sending my wishes off to a factory by email. YMMV.
New kits from DW and Sonor depreciate by more than 25% the moment you unpack the box.
If you want something expensive, collectable and a kit to bring out the green eyed monster in the drumming community, choose vintage.
Otherwise, I can't help but think, if you are stuck on DW and Sonor, why don't you check them both out in person and buy the set that ticks all your boxes.
 ;)

NPYYZ

« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2005, 08:31 AM »
If I had the choice of the two kits you mentioned, I'd take the Sonor. A better sounding , looking ,and better made kit in my opinion.

joeblove

« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2005, 01:35 PM »
i'm normally one for the philosophy of 'all top end drums are pretty much the same' and 'trust your ears', but seeing as the link Mr Acrolite posted as his idea of heaven featured a white sparkle Designer in the background, i'd take it as a sign and go with the Designer.  German made ie. solid.  Great tone and great looking.  The world and its mother plays dw.

xdrummer2000

« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2005, 02:44 PM »
Yes they are custom kits but  if you really want to look at some companies that only make custom drums, you're looking at Ayotte, Modern drum shop, Fibes etc.

Actually, last night I was looking at custom kits, and MRP seems to be the most custom company there is.

sirdrumalot

« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2005, 02:58 PM »
They're all custom companies, I can't see that one might be more "custom" than the other.

Offline Chris Whitten

• Honorary VIP
« Reply #31 on: January 01, 2005, 03:34 PM »
Let's face it, 'custom' is a term thrown around to describe the many small 'boutique' drum manufacturers.
It doesn't really matter whether they offer any customer input, although nearly all of them do.

groovin

« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2005, 05:36 PM »
Does anyone know what that vintage kit is that Steve Smith plays on his dvd?Im guessing Ludwig!

Offline Stewart Manley

• Cafe VIP
  • quondam 'moosetication'
« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2005, 04:24 AM »
Does anyone know what that vintage kit is that Steve Smith plays on his dvd? Im guessing Ludwig!

bzzzzt, wrong answer, thank you for playing.

It's actually described in detail on the DVD. However, to save you the effort of looking:

For the "History of the U.S. Beat" we rented the following 1940s Radio King drumset and equipment from Carroll Sound in NYC:

• Bass Drum - 22" x 14" with calfskin heads
• Mounted Tom - 13" x 9"
• Floor Tom - 16" x 16" floor tom
• 1930s "puffy" beater ball and a vintage muffling system, which I occasionally used on the batter side head of the bass drum.

The rest of the equipment for the History of the US Beat is from my own collection. The bass drum pedal is an old DW single pedal. The snare drum is a 1928 Ludwig Black Beauty with Remo Diplomat heads, top and bottom. The woodblock and mount I got from Marty Mahoney, a friend of mine who has a drumshop in Las Vegas. The small cowbell is a new Zildjian cowbell that is exactly like the older classic "jazz" cowbells.

Showtime

« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2005, 10:25 AM »
It comes down to sound. A sonor drum and a dw even made with the same materials do not sound the same. Sonor is known for a full, deep  big sound. DW more lively and more attack. Don't jump down my throat on this. I know we can debate this all day. However, I believe most drummers forget that drums are designed to produce a certain sound. There are way to many variables. So you should play them side to side with the same heads etc.

There is no question that you have to play these kits side by side. I will tell you that the sonor kick drum is going to blow you away. IMHO, I belive sonor kits in general sound better than many other drums in lower tunings. Maybe thats the reason that most Jazz drummers don't play Sonor?

The designers allow you "to fine tune the drums resonance" with  an adjustment knob. hmmm, I don't know about that. A friend of mine has a a designer kit and I didn't hear any difference at all. Yes, I bet it could be picked up in the studio but I don't thnk its a selling point.

Sonor is hard to deal with. Compared to other companies, yes that maybe true. At the same time, how often does a drummer need to talk with the factory? Reputable drum shops stand behind what they sell you no matter what the Factory's take on an issue is.

If you like well engineered (some say over engineered) then you can't go wrong with the designer series. They are built like tanks to say the least. There is nothing like them and they are truly unique.

What kit will blow people away sitting on a stage? No question Sonor. There is a certain "thing" about Sonor. They are over all rare compared to others. You can play with 12 bands in one night and be the only one playing sonor.

Check out www.indoorstorm.com. You can hear many custom kits as well as the desiger series as well. No, I wouldn't make a buying descision based on this but you will enjoy it.

I would also reccomend that you go to sonormuseum.com and find the link that gives you a half hour tour of the sonor factory. The designer series are talked about in the video as well.

I hope this helps.

Paicey

« Reply #35 on: January 02, 2005, 11:10 AM »
Ive just got this thing for Sonor and dont know why. I like DW alot also. When i saw Will Calhoun playing a set of blue sparkle designers on a tribute to Larrie Londin video i was just floored! at how beautiful they were and they sounded SO good, kinda like Showtime stated. Between the two?, Sonor, not only for my own sence of prestige but sound also.

Offline edbradley83

• Copper Member
  • I love the Drummer Cafe!
« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2005, 12:02 PM »
Hi, this is actually my first post but thought it might be worth chipping in.

Although I have very little experience with either kit, i do remember one of the drum teachers at school had a designer kit.  He mentioned that it was incredibly heavy to move about, and said that with hindsight he probably would not have got it for this very reason.  I also remember him saying that he had just got a new tom which was surprisingly expensive.  That might just have been UK prices though....

felix

« Reply #37 on: January 02, 2005, 01:40 PM »
It comes down to sound. A sonor drum and a dw even made with the same materials do not sound the same. Sonor is known for a full, deep  big sound. DW more lively and more attack. Don't jump down my throat on this. I know we can debate this all day. However, I believe most drummers forget that drums are designed to produce a certain sound. There are way to many variables. So you should play them side to side with the same heads etc.

There is no question that you have to play these kits side by side. I will tell you that the sonor kick drum is going to blow you away. IMHO, I belive sonor kits in general sound better than many other drums in lower tunings. Maybe thats the reason that most Jazz drummers don't play Sonor?

You got that right.  You just have to sit down and play them to get what it's all about.  

Jack DeJohnette used to play them, don't know if he does now or not and the first time I saw Vaughn Freeman- his drummer played a designer 4 piece.

groovin

« Reply #38 on: January 02, 2005, 02:27 PM »
Why is it every time i see a major act on T.V. they seem to all be playing D.W.?Rarely do i see Sonor.I also like Sonor.

Offline Dave Heim

• Honorary VIP
  • August 26, 1955 - November 16, 2012
    • daveheimdrums
    • daveheim
    • Dave Heim
« Reply #39 on: January 02, 2005, 02:29 PM »
Why is it every time i see a major act on T.V. they seem to all be playing D.W.?

They're quality drums.  And popular.  Their customer service is very good.  And they're innovative.  <==  this is not to say the same isn't true of many other companies, but DW has consistently done all these thing for a long time.
Working with: Second Time Around, James Curley, Scraps of Brass, The American Wind Band, and other notable Chicago musicians.

Teaching through Quinlan & Fabish Music Stores.

Drummer Cafe RSS Feeds Drummer Cafe on Twitter Drummer Cafe on Facebook Drummer Cafe on Google+ Drummer Cafe on YouTube Drummer Cafe on Pinterest Drummer Cafe on Instagram