• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Don't make my mistake.

Started by BloodMagician, August 31, 2002, 02:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BloodMagician

Today at practice, I was fidgeting with my drumset ergonomics. I wasn't satisfied with how clean my double bassing was, so I decided to take the advice of Paul Bostaph, and sit lower. Well...I sat too low. I was in pain the rest of my day from the awkward position. Left knee, back, and left elbow are in serious pain right now.

Moral is....don't sit too low. Keep your knees well below the waist.

DirtBomb

I already made that mistake a year ago.  I was using an old CB drum throne that i had for a few years and it broke on me so i could only sit on the lowest setting and i didn't have the money to go get a new one.

After dealing with that for a whole week i had to go out and buy myself something else.

You wouldn't think it would cause so much discomfort!

Andrew

Totally. I have two kits (two bands, two rehearsal spaces). The "B" kit's throne is nearly identical to the "A" kit's throne except that it's really firm. I can only sit on it for about 20 minutes before my lower back starts howling.

felix

Definitely get a roc n sock throne...best money you will ever spend

Louis Russell

Take it from someone who has spent most of his life on his butt.  If your butt is not confy you can not work well and to top it off, it hurts a lot.

guitarizt

I use a cheap throne.  So far it works fine.  Knock on wood....

Louis Russell

Quote from: guitarizt on September 03, 2002, 06:16 PM
I use a cheap throne.  So far it works fine.  Knock on wood....

When you are young everything works fine but when you get older everything either hurts or does not work.  Protect yourself while you are young.

guitarizt

Protection comes with a price.  I think I'll wait until I start aching.  I have some years ahead of me yet.

Stefanos

My g/f got me a nice tama throne (motorcycle-style w/ bacrest) that is just AWSOME! It's an old model that she found at a music store, so it's not on tama's website. You can sit really high if you want to. It feels very comfortable and it wasn't very expensive. Nice investment, IMO.

felix

I sat in one of those tama thrones...not bad at all.

Stefanos

Quote from: felix on September 13, 2002, 07:09 AM
I sat in one of those tama thrones...not bad at all.
Yeah, especially if it's a gift from your girlfriend! How romantic! LOL

Ratamatatt

Felix,

Do you have the rock-n-sock with the back?  If so, how has it held up?

Ratamatatt

BloodMagician

Wow, I can't believe my old thread still lives.

Funkadrummer

Quote from: felix on September 02, 2002, 03:46 PM
Definitely get a roc n sock throne...best money you will ever spend

I have one spent 100-130 on it and i love it i am also going to buy a back rest with it

agogobil

Quote from: guitarizt on September 04, 2002, 07:12 PM
Protection comes with a price.  I think I'll wait until I start aching.  I have some years ahead of me yet.

"if I'd-a known then what I know now" ... nah, go ahead ... just kidding ... you'll be just fine ... hehe ...

"Be careful of reading health books.  You may die of a misprint." - Mark Twain

Louis Russell

I think I'll wait until I start aching.  
I used to say that and believe me it will come sooner than you want.  Protection may come with a price but later on you will think it would have been well worth it.  If nothing else, protect your ears.

nullify_drummer

i dont have any problems outta my "imortal steel chair" its been around forever and is probally older than dirt. i dont care what it looks like cuz its under my butt and nobody sees it. but i dont have a throan cuz i have a tendancy to always fall off(i dont know why) even on the wide ones i fall off but i'm happy with my chair and it does the job and bar fights.

drumhero

yeah, but if you protectyourself now, you'll get a LOT more ache free years ahead of you.  ive sat a nitro roc-n-soc, and im going to get one as soon as i get the cash.