• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Reuther Drums

Started by ShadowDrummer, March 14, 2005, 03:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ShadowDrummer

I got a 7 piece Reuther drum kit for $50.They look and sound awsome.But are they a good company?They kind of look like there vintage but im not sure.So im wondering if they could be worth some money.So can someone please give me some info? thanks

Stewart Manley

The five seconds it took to type "Reuther drums" into a Google search field gave me the following article by Harry Cangany:

http://www.drumcenter.com/fea1001.html

In which he says:

"A lot of interested parties have started collecting European drums- especially those from the United Kingdom like Premier, Ajax, Carlton and other fine brands. Still others seek early 60s-70s Japanese drums that were imported into the States.

We suspect Pearl and Hoshino (Tama) made Apollo, Whitehall, Dixie, Reuther, Werco, Zim-Gar and a host of other companies. The drums and hardware were similar, just the badges were different. North American distributors had them badged with their own in-house names."

So it looks like they are one of the many so-called "stencil" kits. As to their collectability and/or value, I can't comment.

ShadowDrummer

so what do u mean by stencil kits?

Stewart Manley

Inexpensive stock shells and hardware, made in bulk by people like Pearl and Hoshino in the Far East, and supplied to all sorts of manufacturers (as listed in my first reply) to be badged and sold as their own.

ShadowDrummer

oh ok so they probally aren't worth that much then.Thanks for the info.

Stewart Manley

Financially, perhaps not (but don't take that as a knowledgable reply - it isn't). Could they be decent drums? Absolutely. Several hereabouts have "stencil" kits (like 563 with his Whitehalls). As long as you pay attention to the basics (state of the bearing edges, state of the hardware, heads, etc) I'll bet it'll make a decent enough kit. Unless you care deeply about the brand or inherent value of your gear, you're on a winner. For $50 you have a set you already think sounds "awesome" - what's not to like?

Joe

Quote from: ShadowDrummer on March 14, 2005, 04:11 PM
oh ok so they probally aren't worth that much then.Thanks for the info.

Actually, probably so, depending on the type of stencil kit you have.  

But, let us refer to Geo. Lawrence's  http://georgesdrumshop.com/shop/drumguru_museum.php?osCsid=12c84f5e424898c79e0b3d3e937993e4]Unofficial 60's Japanese Drums Virtual Museum  for his view on the matter:

QuotePrices

A personal crusade of mine is to keep the prices down on these drums. There simply is no reason to ask "collector " or "vintage" prices. Ebay has brought a lot of these out of storage so the supply is good. Don't pay too much and you won't have to sell for too much! They were cheap beginner drums to begin with and are nowhere as good as a modern beginner drum or set. They have no value as fine instruments, only as oddities. These are the prices that I am seeing these instruments go for on EBAy and in stores. Let's try to make it easy for each other to collect and enjoy these drums by not trying to make an exorbitant profit on them, OK?

That said, below you'll see his assessments of value.  We're not exactly talking Black Beauties here, but I found it a pleasant surprise.

felix

George Lawrence is in Akron now.  I have to get down there.  

Stewart Manley

Quote from: Joe on March 14, 2005, 05:55 PM... refer to Geo. Lawrence's  http://georgesdrumshop.com/shop/drumguru_museum.php?osCsid=12c84f5e424898c79e0b3d3e937993e4]Unofficial 60's Japanese Drums Virtual Museum

Interesting link. I notice that Reuther is not amongst those in the list of stencil kits on that page.

I imagine that this might be a useful place to start for further research on Reuther. There's a "contact me" link below the list of brands.

Jim Martin (cavanman)

Actually the Unofficial 60's Japanese Drums Virtual Museum  list includes the brand of my first real snare drum - Toreador.

Today, even though I own a bunch of 'snobby' brand names  ;) I still remember the feeling of joy getting that snare for Christmas when I was in 7th grade. That is a memory I won't forget.   :)

Pretty cool to revisit that.

Jim

ShadowDrummer

well, all that matters is that they sound good.I dont really care about the value,i was just curious because i never heard of the brand before.