• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Need drum head help

Started by JayB, April 07, 2005, 04:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayB

I know a lot of you are getting tired of me posting so much lately, but after using Remo heads for so long it's hard to know what to expect from companies such as Evans or Aquarian.  Remo's quality contro probleml is making me weary of buying online, and I'd also like to consider other companies.  I like a classic type of drum sound--think Radiohead's album "The Bends," more particularly, the song "High and Dry."  Everything in that song I dig.  I really like that bass tone, it's a sound I can't get mainly because the drum sounds like it's a 24" or even bigger.  It's huge sounding.  :D  Just plain beautiful!  I like drums that are warm, wide open, and big sounding.  Which heads should I look for with Evans or Aquarian (or perhaps other companies) to achieve this type of sound?  If it's even possible, because every drum set I've heard with Aquarian or Evans heads sounded very much modern i.e. a "dead" sounding thud without much depth.  I need to know what to spend all my hard earned cash on, so any help would be much appreciated!     ;D

xdrummer2000

The only difference between the companies that I noticed is that the coating on the aquarians is the most durable, and that the coating on the evans is good. I don't prefer the remo coating, as it seems rather fragile to me. Also, aquarian uses a denser, smoother type of mylar.

If you want a bigger sound, try the superkick/regulator combo on the bass drum, the hi-energy/classic clear snare side combo on the snare drum, and for the toms, I would use the double thins, as they are two ply, and since one ply is thin, they resonate a bit better. Hope this helps. Good Luck. :) 8)

Floyd42

Take a look at this page:
http://www.aquariandrumheads.com/drumhead_tips/default.asp#comparison]Aquarian Drumheads Comparison Chart .

Very helpful !  ;)