• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

"Sleep" Machines: Maybe not the greatest idea for drummers...

Started by smoggrocks, April 25, 2005, 01:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smoggrocks

been having a little insomnia in recent weeks, most likely due to some late nights at the office, mid-afternoon java jaunts, and the change of seasons.

i was always intrigued by those little 'envirosounds' relaxation gizmos -- funky whozeewhatsits with programmed nature sounds like rain, the ocean, springtime, etc.

so i picked one up for myself at the discovery store coz it had chimes programmed in, and i like that sound.

i set it up last night to send me away with the sound of chimes, and wake me up to the sound of chirping birds.

unfortunately, i started getting hip to the chime pattern, and before long started counting out when the 'random' chimes would kick in, and how long to the next set of 'dribbly' sounding chimes. it was hardly relaxing.

i switched to the ocean, only to have the same thing happen. annoyed, i finally turned it off and tossed and turned till about 4 a.m., when i finally dozed off. needless to say, you could fit a nice weekend wardrobe in my eyebags today.

i'm thinking maybe there's a difference between the $20 version i got and the $90 versions i've seen in the sharper image catalog. like, maybe the more expensive ones have longer loops, so the sounds truly sound free-form? [a side of me thinks the difference may be limited to sound quality.]

i guess for now it's back to counting sheep. ;D

Stewart Manley

egk

try going for a run before bedtime.it'll get you in shape and at the same time exhaust you so you'll go to sleep faster.

Stewart Manley

Quote from: egk on April 25, 2005, 01:46 PMtry going for a run before bedtime.it'll get you in shape and at the same time exhaust you so you'll go to sleep faster.

The problem with that is it tires you physically but not mentally. You need both.

Rusty Beckett

I've tried the "white noise" things to help me sleep.  Anything with any type of rhythm is not relaxing for the same reasons smoggrocks mentioned.  

When I can't sleep I don't try to make myself go to sleep.  I get a glass of warm milk and a boring book.  Usually after 1/2 an hour or so I find I can't keep my eyes open, turn out the light and fall asleep.  What I hate is waking about 2:30 or 3 in the morning and not being able to get back to sleep until just before the alarm goes off.  Then I can't keep my eyes open.

There have been a lot of studies on sleep patterns and problems and what to do so you can sleep.  Do some Internet searching on the subject.

Several years ago I worked a 12 hour shift from 7 PM to 7 AM - 4 on, 3 off - 3 on 4 off.  I managed that for 3 years.  BUT - I wouldn't do it again, I was a mess.  My kids used to laugh at me because I would fall asleep just about every time I sat down to read to them or watch TV.

Jon E

Quotei guess for now it's back to counting sheep.

Yes, but in what time signature???  ;D ;)

jokerjkny

Quote from: egk on April 25, 2005, 01:46 PM
try going for a run before bedtime.it'll get you in shape and at the same time exhaust you so you'll go to sleep faster.

Ooo, dunno about that.  

that'd make the heartrate go up, not to mention the adrenaline coursing thru the veins, and that's not something to helpful for sleeping.

smoggy,

try some of these suggestions i got from the little packet that came with my bed from 1800Mattress...

http://www.mattress.com/sleepwell/restful.php

the ones that have worked for me are:

- chamomile tea
- room temp should be 60-70 degrees F.

mudpuppy

Chip Donaho

Quote from: mudpuppy on April 30, 2005, 07:08 AM
One bourbon, one scotch and one beer! ;)
mp
If that don't work try 2 of each....Goodnight!     ;D  

oxford

http://www.toolsforwellness.com/63041.html

I use one of these and have for years. Or get a small all plastic fan. Soft air blowing will do the trick.

SteveR

I got a Bed Bath and Beyond gift certificate for Christmas this year for $20.  Having NO IDEA what to spend it on, I got on their website and found this:

This thing works great for me.  The only problem is that it has a light that I didn't know about until I put it together and filled it with water.  I took it back apart and took the light out and now it works like a charm.

If that doesn't work, you can always take a shot of Nyquil.  

8)

smoggrocks

thanks for all the tippies. steve r., i have one of those waterfall thingies too. great for daytime environment, but they make me want to tinkle at night! ;D

i found another good solution: not moving. the temptation is always high to fidget when you're not able to fall asleep, but that just revs you up more. i found that by staying completely still, i nodded out before i knew it. it's kinda hard to do, though!

jokerjkny

i was talking to a friend of mine, and he does this before sleeping...

simply point with your finger, starting from the top of your head, slowing working your way down, relax each part that your finger touches.  helps you calm down, and really let your muscles go, which keep you wound tight before bed.  works like a charm for me.

Stewart Manley

I do it the other way around, but without the pointing. Concentrate on relaxing each part of the body, from the tippy-toes on up, in very small sections. If you do it properly, you're asleep before you reach ... parts that most relaxation techniques don't reach. Ahem.

Bullshark

I use a fan - best white noise available and a cool breeze to boot.  Now I have to carry my fan with me when I go out of town, I have gotten so used to it - but it works!

7lazy8

I agree with the fan thing.  It's always worked for me in these situations.   No rhythm and the white noise blocks out the noise from my surrounding environment.
But beware of the occilation. It's easy to find a rhythmic action from that.

Jon E

When I was a small boy, a friend of mine (I'll just call him "MJ") turned me on to sleeping in a Hyperbaric chamber.

It's fun! :o :-\

DaveGink

I've got a clock radio with a built in digital "sound-soother" next to my bed... I prefer the rain sound. needless to say I found the pattern in that right away. Although it actually seems to help me get to sleep. Sort of like counting sheep I guess. :)

eggcook

when i can't sleep i get up and go into another room then pray .for some reason i feel like i unload my brain then i sleep soundly.

Marcos

Reading a good book puts me out. Usually I'll have some quiet classical, new age or space music playing in the background. I've become so addicted to this routine that I do not think I would be able to sleep otherwise. The only drawback is that on occasion I get a rude awakening from the book falling on my face after I've dozed off. One time when it happened, I could not stop my wife from laughing hysterically. When she finally did she said she was watching to see how long it would take before my hands would release. I don't think it's funny, do you?