• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

"Intuitive" drummers

Started by smoggrocks, December 12, 2005, 04:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DWdrmr

I'll further abuse this post..the other night, when we got to the end of LZ's "Ocean" ( we don't use the outro)...I started a  7/8 thing and the bass player joined in..totally spontanious..lasted for as long as the song, at least...it just felt right. This was a rehearsal. I think this sort of thing happens when you're comfortable playing with each other. It was pretty cool...

ken4musiq

I think many classical programs (especially at the University level) at the very least fail to encourage students to cultivate their instincts, and at the very worst, often quash students' ability to call upon their instincts.  I know that I was fortunate to find several teachers while I was in grad' school who went against the grain, and who helped me to better tune into my instincts, and not only for jazz playing.>>

I think that there is a huge problem with the academic approach to music education. Most academic institutions are a very bad place for young players to be. I worked at a Community College for two years until I was let go.  I was working very hard to cultivate students' instincts and relate the curriculum to students' needs. Ninety-five percent of my students were passing with a 'c' or better.  They let me go and kept the teachers who were failing half the class but still pushing the standard cannonical repertoire. Academia is so out of touch with contemporary culture that it has relegated itself to oblivian.  There is a joke that academics use that "academia is so political because the stakes are so low." In actuality, the stakes are very high for most students.

PJSdrum

This has been a very interesting thread with some thoughtful comments on all sides of the discussion. Some great examples of intuitive drummers listed. I'd like to throw Airto Moreira into the discussion. He's incredible at creating musical moments wether he's playing all his percussion instruments or on the set.