• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Rute sticks

Started by Robyn, March 12, 2006, 11:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robyn

I talked w/ a visiting drummer at church today who was playing a lot w/ these VF rute sticks--really slick!! I liked the sound and it seems that they'd be very versatile. Has anyone played w/ these? What do you think of them, and what types of music do you use them with? What sizes do you use for what particular sounds?

robyn

Jim Martin (cavanman)

I've been using Hot Rods (similar to Rutes) for awhile. I decided to try the VF Rutes after someone here at DC casually mentioned they could do cross-stick with the Rutes (Wood handle end). I used them Friday night on a song that goes for a kind of psuedo-African-pop feel mostly doinig "rim-shotty" tom figures.

Hot Rods, Rutes and any bundled dowel stick are often used as a way of playing softer but with more presence than either wire brushes or plastic bristle Blastick style implements. Very popular in churches. I know as I play quite a few of them. :)

When I use this type of implement, I'm often going for more of a color difference, even if I'm primarily using them for a reductions in sound. There are some cool things you can do with them that can't be done with sticks - and vice versa.

I enjoyed using them maybe just a bit more than Hot Rods. Nice hefty feel with good balance. Unlike the Hot Rods, the Rutes have movable bands so you can change the spread of the dowels. Another younger player I spoke with said he didn't use them anymore because the bands started slipping on him. I could see that happening but then I'd just use thicker rubber bands as I do with my Blasticks.

It's nice to have diffent types of colors either way. :)

HTH

Jim

Robyn

Thanks Jim--appreciate the input :)

robyn

Todd Norris

I have hot rods and I love them for the reasons Cavanman said.  I like to just tinker around with them too.  They inspire me to come up with new ideas that I might not have tried otherwise.

bilkay

I've used both Lightning Rods and Rutes and like them both.  However, you can make your own with dowels from a crafts store (or WalMart) and electrical tape for about $2.50 per pair.

Chris -

I use the 202 and Jazz Rutes.  They're great because my kit isn't miked, and they work well with acoustic guitars.

I also use them when playing a Djembe or my Cajon.

Pipus

I have a pair of Rutes, and really like the adjustibility of the plastic sleeves. Tried the cross-stick with them with no actual success (as far as the sound I hear for in a cross-stick), but the solid handle, make them feel more like regular sticks, than the Hot-Rods.

Pipus