• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

EMAD vs EQ1, 3, 4?

Started by jb78, March 13, 2006, 09:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jb78

I'm confused by Evans' line of muffled bass heads.  It seems that the EMAD offers the option of removing some of the muffling (ie., the muffling is external).  Other than that, what are the differences between the single ply kick batters?  Why wouldn't I just get the EMAD?  Thanks.

Pipus

EMAD= 1 ply 10mil head; intercheangable external dampeners
EQ1= 1 ply 10mil head; fixed overtone ring + removable muffling ring + dry vents
EQ4= 1 ply 10mil head; variable width fixed overtone ring
EQ2= 2 ply 16.5mil (total) head; fixed overtone ring + removable muffling ring + dry vents
EQ3= 2 ply 13mil (total) head; fixed overtone ring + removable muffling ring

IIRC the width of the fixed overtone ring in the EQ1, EQ2, and EQ3 heads is the same for the 3, 1" of 1.5" (haven't meassure them). The 3 heads have a additional removable muffle ring about 2.5" to 3".

IMHO, the main diferrence between the EMAD and the EQ heads (asides from the ply dif, with the EQ2 and EQ3) is the amount of control of the user over the amount of built in dampening of the head, and how easy it is to do it (with the EMAD can be done from the throne, with the EQ1, EQ2 and EQ3, either you take out the head, or you put your arm inside the BD).

Pipus

jb78

Thanks!  It sounds like I want to avoid the EQ1 because of the vents.  Does anyone have an opinion on what's better b/w the EMAD and the EQ4?  

I like the Aquarian SK1, but want to try Evans as well.

Chris Whitten

Hi,
As a general rock studio drummer, my favourite Evans bass drum head is the EQ3. I find it to be the most versatile....and good sounding of course
The other EQ variants are useful for different purposes too.
I haven't got on very well with the Emad. I prefer a mildly damped batter head, with a more flexible route to further damping by using one or two cushions (like those offered by Evans or DW).
I've had great results using an SKI on one of my bass drums, but if you're looking for an alternative to that I'd recommend looking into at least a couple of the Evans EQ systems.

NPYYZ

I've been using the EQ3's on my kick drums for years. I have them on 20", 22" and 26" kick drums and they sound great on all. I use them right out of the box with no extra muffling.  I tune the batter and reso heads up just until there are no wrinkles in them.  I used the clear Evans patch that comes with the head where the beater hits, and I use the plastic side of my pearl beaters. Great kick sound. When mic'd up I get the punch and boom from the front mic and I get the attack from the batter side mic.

Stewart Manley

I too have an EQ3 batter. I use a lightweight (non-allergenic!) regular domestic pillow (in a black slip case, naturally) secured by two velcro straps inside. I can move the position of the pillow in the straps and change the way it contacts (or doesn't) either batter or resonant heads. Remo Falam Slam patch, and plastic beater heads. I like the combination, but I freely confess to not a lot of basis for comparison.

Pipus

My actual BD came with the EQ3 system, but I modified the reso head, cut half of the muffle ring to open up the sound a bit. No additional muffling other than that. My church's BD has an EQ2 batter with a Pearl resonant, no additional muffling required. I preffer the EQ3.

Pipus

JrummerJ

I used the Emad and didn't care for it that much.  Seemed a little quiet.

My new starclassic performers came with the EQ4 batter head, which I also didn't like.....until I replaced the front reso head with an EQ3 reso (ported).  I am now a fan of the EQ4, but I do want to give the EQ3 batter a try.

J

jb78

As a follow-up:  If you use a 2-ply head (like the EQ3 or the SKII), why do you do so?  Is it for durability, sound or both?  I'm definitely a 1-ply kind of drummer for my snare and toms and always assumed the same for the kick; should I revise my thinking on the kick?

Pipus

Quote from: jb78 on March 15, 2006, 04:34 PM
As a follow-up:  If you use a 2-ply head (like the EQ3 or the SKII), why do you do so?  Is it for durability, sound or both?  I'm definitely a 1-ply kind of drummer for my snare and toms and always assumed the same for the kick; should I revise my thinking on the kick?

The use of a 2-ply head can be for sound, or durability, or both. A 2-ply head will sound deeper, and drier than a 1-ply head. It will last longer, but BD heads don't break as easily as tom or snare heads, anyways.

I use 1-ply heads, no muffling, on my toms and snares, but my BD has an EQ3, for the sound. Don't think you have to revise anything at all, as long as you get the sound that you like. Maybe just try a 2-ply head, if you don't like the sound, just put back the old 1-ply, and keep on drumming.

Pipus

Chris Whitten

Quote from: Pipus on March 15, 2006, 07:25 PM
A 2-ply head will sound deeper, and drier than a 1-ply head.
I agree, although Bob Gatzen (designer of most Evans heads) says that isn't strictly correct and the single ply heads can be tuned to achieve lower pitch and tone.
I think the 2 ply thing is an aural illusion, the lack of higher frequencies and slight damping making us feel it is phatter.
Having said that, I want to experiment with a basic, coated, bass drum head, but for now a 2 ply is instant gratification for me.  8)