• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

How to keep the bass drum from moving away from you!

Started by GaryfromMemphis, March 20, 2006, 09:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GaryfromMemphis

How do you guys keep your bass pedal from moving away from you? Is it my technique or does everyone have this challenge. I"ve adjust the legs for the thing, put a rug under it with a rubber bottom on it. I've added tape to the underside of the rug. I've taped the rug to the floor. I've screwed the little rubber feet out so there's nothing but rubber hitting tile. Nothing works so far. It just keeps inching away from me. Maybe it's my socks. They do smell funny sometimes. And I am on a tile floor . I'm about to lower one of the sections of tube I think on my Edrum rack so that the sucker can't possibly go anywhere then. Right now it can slide underneath the lowest bar but I think I'll lower it a few inches and then put a piece of soft foam on the bar for the bass drum to rest against. Then I guess the whole rack will move away from me!!  ;D  I don't think I'll get false triggers doing that with the foam. I haven't drummed for awhile and about to get back into it again but this has always been a pet peeve with me.

Jay Northrop

Since your on a slippery surface being a tile floor thats it right there. I've played shows where I was on a wooden floor and once the bass drum moved...the second the song was over I pulled out the spikes,lol. Best bet is get carpet under the whole kit.And maybe even invest in the bass drum stopper. Its a little mount that clips to the bottom front of your reso hoop and has both spikes and rubber.

Chip Donaho

I had the same problem. I went to a local discount store and bought a piece of "thick" rubber backed carpet. Cost me $20 for a blemished piece that was 10x16 size. I can put the tips down on my bass and still don't scratch the flooring. Before I had that carpet, I bought a length of "dog chain" and a couple clasps from a harware store. I made it the length where I could hook it on a bass lug, around my stool, and back to another lug on the other side. It had to pull me with it.....But the thick rubber backed outdoor carpet works great. It was big enough to cut in half and go under 2 sets....Any carpet installer may have a leftover piece he'll sell cheap also.   ;)   But then again, it's a good size piece to roll up and haul. Which isn't a problem for me, as I drive a van. I get to to the gig, carry in a 5x8 roll, and claim my turf....   ;D

Dave Heim

Get a thin piece of rug or one of those gray floor mat with the rubber backing or something similar so the tips of your bass drum spurs have something to dig into.  The thinner it is, the easier it will be to roll up and transport.  If you can get one sized for your whole set, great.  But it really only needs to be big enough for the bass drum, throne and high-hat.  I use a 4x6 floor mat - works fine.  Picked it up at Home Depot (The Drummer's Other Store!).

Some pedals (DW pedals, for example) have a strip of male Velcro attached to the underneath.  Once down on the rug they also grip the rig and don't allow the bass drum to go anywhere.

minddrummer

Quote from: ARCHxANGEL on March 20, 2006, 10:09 PM
Since your on a slippery surface being a tile floor thats it right there. I've played shows where I was on a wooden floor and once the bass drum moved...the second the song was over I pulled out the spikes,lol. Best bet is get carpet under the whole kit.And maybe even invest in the bass drum stopper. Its a little mount that clips to the bottom front of your reso hoop and has both spikes and rubber.

It's called bass drum anchor and Gibraltar make one - look for it

http://www.gibraltarhardware.com/index.cfm?fa=partsmain&curcat=2&bnd=11&cid=103&sid=453&pid=1531

lilblakdak

If you cant afford to buy any carpet right now,. take a piece of rope and tie your kick to  your throne.

sptucker

Kaces Crash Pad:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/home/navigation?q=kaces+crash+pad]http://www.musiciansfriend.com/home/navigation?q=kaces+crash+pad

Has a piece of wood integrated into the front edge.  BD goes up against this.   Throne (with you you on it) also sits on pad.  BD doesn't move.  

OR

Put some big velcro strips on the underside of your BD pedal and use a rug that the velcro sticks to.  Again, BD doesn't move...

I've used both methods with great success...

GaryfromMemphis

I'll take your advice and look for that stopper but if I pull the spikes out on my tile floor 1.) not sure they would dig in and 2.) if they did my wife would shoot me in the face and laugh while doing it.  :o

GaryfromMemphis

That's funny. I weigh 190lbs plus so that might work for me too. Thanks for the reply. Glad to see it's not just me and the way I stomp the sucker. I've tried to apply pressure downward more but that doesn't seem to help. Thanks again.

GaryfromMemphis

I tried a bathroom mat with rubber on the bottom but on the tile floor it kept sliding so I taped it in place and it still manage to "run away" from me. Will look for better carpet backing though. Thanks for the response! ;D

GaryfromMemphis

Heah thanks! Looks painful :o but I"ll try it!

GaryfromMemphis

Everyone has had great ideas. Thanks. I am using an electronic bass drum with the TD-12 kit from Roland so it's small but still has the same problem. Thanks for all the help guys. I like this forum and will consult your wisdom often!!  ;)

Jon E

The key is you have to have a rug under the WHOLE kit.  Or a rug at least big enough to get under the bass drum AND your throne.  Simply putting a rug under the BD isn't going to do much (obviously!).

If you make the "sacrifice" and get a decent (yet still inexpensive) rug, it will be the BEST investment you make in your drumming career.

(I always say the best things I have ever bought for my music career have nothing to do with music--my truck, my dolly, my rug, etc.)

BTW, I always use the spikes on my bD spurs.  I haven't used the rubber tips in 25 years.

Lastly, it COULD be your technique to some degree too.  Go for the rug solution first though.

Dave Heim

Quote from: GaryfromMemphis on March 21, 2006, 05:45 AM
I'll take your advice and look for that stopper but if I pull the spikes out on my tile floor 1.) not sure they would dig in and 2.) if they did my wife would shoot me in the face and laugh while doing it.  :o

On a tile floor you might want to consider going with the rubber tips.  If you get the carpet, use the spike ends.

Dave Heim

Quote from: Jon E on March 21, 2006, 06:57 AM
The key is you have to have a rug under the WHOLE kit.  Or a rug at least big enough to get under the bass drum AND your throne.  Simply putting a rug under the BD isn't going to do much (obviously!).

If you make the "sacrifice" and get a decent (yet still inexpensive) rug, it will be the BEST investment you make in your drumming career.

(I always say the best things I have ever bought for my music career have nothing to do with music--my truck, my dolly, my rug, etc.)

BTW, I always use the spikes on my bD spurs.  I haven't used the rubber tips in 25 years.

Lastly, it COULD be your technique to some degree too.  Go for the rug solution first though.

Yes.  A severe case of gorilla foot can cause bass drum creep even with a rug and spikes.