• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Speed King

Started by JDrummys, March 16, 2006, 03:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JDrummys

I have tried using Lithium grease around the sides of the heelplate, but it doesn't seem to help- Is there anything else I can do?..I'm not positive it's even coming from the heelplate but I hear that's where most SKs squeak.

Dave Heim

Quote from: JDrummys on March 16, 2006, 03:24 PM
I have tried using Lithium grease around the sides of the heelplate, but it doesn't seem to help- Is there anything else I can do?..I'm not positive it's even coming from the heelplate but I hear that's where most SKs squeak.

Try greasing up the spot where the footboard's toeplate connects to the metal linkage strap.

chillman4130

My solution:

Do what Bonzo did and make some of rock history's greatest recordings with that squeak audible.

;)

Adam's Dad

Quote from: DaveFromChicago on March 16, 2006, 03:26 PM
Try greasing up the spot where the footboard's toeplate connects to the metal linkage strap.

That's usually the spot but you must oil/grease the under side of the "J" shaped linkage.  The squeak occurs when the linkage rubs against the spring steel.

Dave Heim

Quote from: Adam's Dad on March 16, 2006, 07:46 PM
That's usually the spot but you must oil/grease the under side of the "J" shaped linkage.  The squeak occurs when the linkage rubs against the spring steel.

Yes.  Thanks.  Sorry I wasn't clear on that.  

rocksnob

I used one for 15 years and dearly loved the "Squeak King". I believe direct -drive is the way to go, however, it's a shame not many manufacturers sell direct drive pedals anymore(besides ludwig and yamaha.) Anyway, for an example, listen carefully to the Doors' 'Changeling' for that classic squeak.

TheBeachBoy

The squeak is its CHARACTER!  I've torn my WFL SpeedKing apart because it was binding and extremely sluggish (over fifty years of junk built up inside, I'm sure).  I rebuilt it with white grease, and the bugger still squeaks.  To paraphrase REO Speedwagon: Can't Fight That Squeakin'!

I still love it though.

JDrummys

Dave from Chicago was absolutely right...Squeek gone!....Now I can really hear the character of my bass drum, instead of that distraction.

Dave Heim

Quote from: JDrummys on March 20, 2006, 08:54 AM
Dave from Chicago was absolutely right...Squeek gone!....Now I can really hear the character of my bass drum, instead of that distraction.

I'm glad that worked for you.  Credit also to Adam's Dad for clarifying the exact trouble spot, which I failed to mention.  And also to the little old ladies at Ludwig who assemble the Speed Kings!  They showed me the source of the squeak in the first place!  :)

Mark Schlipper

It can also be the springs the risers.   Pull 'em out, clean and grease 'em too if need be.

Vintage Ludwig

I dont know why it is, but a lil squeek from the 'ol speedo doesnt really bug me!  Not like a lug buzz on a floor tom, or snare buzz cuz I like my wires somewhat loose, or a buzz from an L-arm for my ride that buzzes.  But the minor squeek from a Speed King just doesnt bug me-

Dave Heim

Quote from: quicksfoot on March 20, 2006, 09:26 PM
I dont know why it is, but a lil squeek from the 'ol speedo doesnt really bug me!  Not like a lug buzz on a floor tom, or snare buzz cuz I like my wires somewhat loose, or a buzz from an L-arm for my ride that buzzes.  But the minor squeek from a Speed King just doesnt bug me-

In my 'Speed King only' days it was not usually a problem with most tunes.  On ballads, though, it was a little more noticable and more annoying.  I sometimes found myself mooching a little valve oil from the horn section to resolve the squeak between numbers.

twosticks

I know you hear a bass pedal squeak on Stevie Wonder's "Superstitious" especially at the beginning. Pretty sure it had to be Speed King. Stevie had to know it was there. I remember hearing on Kasey Kasem's "American top 40" during the 70's that he could tell the difference between a penny, dime and quarter being dropped.
 But I don't know if it makes that much difference, because I've pointed the squeak out to my wife and others and they all say that they can't hear it. I guess it's just a drummer's thing....