• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Ouch!

Started by abc123, May 07, 2006, 04:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

abc123

Hey I've been playiin for a while and recentlyafter watching Don Famularo's cyber lessons on vic firth .com i decided to switch my grip from american grip to german grip.

Since then which was only a few weeks ago i've been getting a pain in the side of my arm after doing singles for a little while.

is this normal>??
or am i doing my technique wrong or something

i had pain in my arms as well with the american grip cuz im still learning how to get more comfortable with singles but it was more in the tricep area so i wasnt nearly as worried.

santiago

I'm not sure what you mean by American vs. German grips, but, with some practice, you can change your grips during playing. Gripping my sticks in a matched position (both sticks are straight out from my hands, with the fingers wrapped one way and the thumbs wrapped the opposite side) is good for driving beats, but I switch to the traditional grip (left hand has the stick at about a 90 degree angle, with the thumb over to control) when I need to be more precise in my sticking.
 This may also help in keeping your hands and wrist more comfortable, as you aren't confined to a single position all the time.