• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Zildjian K Ride?

Started by shwing789, May 28, 2006, 11:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shwing789

Hey, quick question here.

I currently have an A Series 21'' Sweet Ride for my setup. Although i love this cymbal to death, mainly because I use it as a crash too, I want to go a little heavier, say a 22'' K Zildjian Ride. Does anybody have this ride? I want to know if its a heavier ride with good stick defenition (not too washy), yet it could still be crashed on. Im kind of tired of that jazz ''washy'' feel. I was also thinking about the 22'' Zildjian Heavy K Ride, but i doubt that would be a smart choice to crash on, yet i love that strong ride feeling. Any Ideas?

Thanks

- Alex

TamaDrummer

I have a 20" K Custom Ride, and that is pretty darned heavy.  It has very nice stick definition, and a good amount of wash without being overly washy.  I crash it all the time, depending on what I need for a song.  

I might be recording a jam session with a friend of mine this week.  If I do, I'll make sure to use it in there somewhere and post a soundfile for you.

chillman4130

I have a 22" K heavy ride, and I used to have a 20" K Custom ride. Believe it or not, the 22" is more crashable. I think the reason why is because the Custom is unlathed, which gives it a clangy crash. The lathed 22 is smoother when crashed.

I'm not saying it makes a great crash, but it is possible and i have a few song parts where I crash it and it works great.

One thing about my 22" K Heavy: when I got it I was dissappointed with its definition. I expected it to be pingier.
BUT when I saw a video of my band, and heard how the ride sounded from the audience's perspective, it was amazing. It cuts over anything and is still so musical, as all the K's are famous for being.

I have also played the 21" sweet ride you are talking about, and I can definitely say the 22" K Heavy has more definition than the sweet ride.
I really like my 22" K heavy, and I think it would be a great step from a 21" sweet ride. Feel free to ask me anymore questions you might have.

Todd Norris

I had similar experiences with my 21" K Heavy.  It has great definition and it really cuts.  However, I didn't consider it "crashable".  I guess it depends on what crashable means to you.  

TPC

i had a 22 heavy k some tears back.  the ride sound was nice, well-separated, low-pitched, and it had a great buttery feel.  however, if i crashed it, it would make a hum that would rattle your fillings loose.  definitely not crashable, imo.  not the most verstile ride in the world, either.

i'm not really up on all the latest zildjian lines (k super double secret custom extra dry), but a plain old 22" A medium sounds like the sound you've described.  boring yes, but a very nice, not too washy ride that does a lot of things well.

dannydrumperc

I have a few "new" K ride cymbals (new series - K on bottom side) and I really like them all. These are what I have:
  • 21" K Heavy - Previewsly from Drum4JC. Very nice and loud ping yet warm sounding. It doesn' has the greatest bell sound, but can do the job. Not a crash cymbal, but it surely can add some extra power when a single crash isn't enough.
  • 20" K Ride - Excellet; thats the only word I have for it. My favourite cymbal. Nice ping, very warm, great bell, and a very dark and dry crash. You can see a pic of it on the homepage at my website. I got it signed by Horacio "El Negro" Hernandez (one of my favourites drummers). Medium weight.
  • 18" K Crash Ride - The perfect mate for the 20" ride. Excellent as secondary/left side ride cymbal. Very washy but it still has some stick definition due to its weight (med. thin). Very nice bell too. A good choice for a single cymbal setup. Currently my favourite crash cymbal. I should be recieving the 20" version of this cymbal this week. I plan too use it as my main ride on a band I'm playing currently.
I've tried the Sweet Ride at stores and really liked it - considering I'm not fond on Avedis cymbals. If planning to go K, I would suggest the K ride. The 22" should be darker than your Sweet Ride, but the 20" is (IMHO) the most versatile.

dannydrumperc

Quote from: dannydrumperc on May 30, 2006, 08:26 AM
  • 18" K Crash Ride - The perfect mate for the 20" ride. Excellent as secondary/left side ride cymbal. Very washy but it still has some stick definition due to its weight (med. thin). Very nice bell too. A good choice for a single cymbal setup. Currently my favourite crash cymbal. I should be recieving the 20" version of this cymbal this week. I plan too use it as my main ride on a band I'm playing currently
Picked-up the 20" cymbal this morning. Will review it ASAP.

dannydrumperc

Quote from: dannydrumperc on May 31, 2006, 07:37 AM
Picked-up the 20" cymbal this morning. Will review it ASAP.
  • 20" K Crash Ride - very similar in texture to its 18" sibling, just lower pitched. Has something special, a vintage-like sound; like old Ks. Very dark and trashy crash. The ping is quite subtle but audible. Weak bell sound (at least for rock). Ideal cymbal for a jazz trio.
Will try a beaded chain on it tonight. Something tells me I'll like it 8).

shwing789

Thanks alot for the input guys. I think im going to go with the 22'' K Ride.

Oh, Danny, i find it quite ironic that you and I have the same last name. Roldan isnt a common last name the last time I checked. haha