• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

K Custom Hybrid Ride - anyone?

Started by 0007, August 24, 2006, 05:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Has anyone tried/bought one of those new K Custom Hybrid ride cymbals?  Musician's Friend doesn't have any reviews as of now, and the local shops haven't gotten them in yet.

I'm curious to know about their crash-ability AND their stick definition.  It seems they would be good for both, but I'd like to know what you think if you've tried them...especially in mic'd situations.

One of my bands plays hard rock/prog/alternative music.  With them, I have the ride sitting above the rack tom, so I have a tendency to crash it since it's right in the wheelhouse.  When I ride, I usually ping closer to the bell as opposed to the edge, so this ride *seems* custom-made for that.

Thanks.

-Keith

Christopher

Yes. The local giganto music warehouse place had three when I was last in.

They sounded heavenly.

I had to stop playing them and walk away...

If I come home with another ride cymbal, the wife will... well, I don't even want to think about what the wife will do.

http://www.umich.edu/~urecord/0102/Mar04_02/22.htm]The Angry Wife, engraving by Israhel van Meckenem

;)

James Walker

Sorry, I couldn't resist.  ;)

(Apologies to the original artist.)

dizz

Robyn

;D  funny! I'm always interested in opinions about rides. I think I'll always be looking for something better...

robyn

dizz

I saw a 20" or 22" Sabian Vault today at the music store.  I was really impressed with it's ride - bell - and crash sound.  On top of that it really looks nice too.  The problem I had was the price.

400 freaking dollars!!

But it had the charactaristics you mention in the inital post.  Check em out unless its out of your budget.

Chris -

I owned 1, and traded it in.  I perfer the other Custom lines.  There is a lot of wash with the Hybrid, which is something I wasn't looking for.

As Mr. A says - listen to a couple of different rides and see if it butters your bread.  :)

Dave Kropf

I have the Hybrid hats and love them many muchly. 

SmoothOperator

Just two weeks ago I went into my local drum shop for the sole purpose of buying the 20" K custom hybrid ride.  I had been in days earlier checking it out.  While discussing it with one of the guys working there that day, he had me try the 20" K ride.    Well I'm glad he did.  The straight up K ride had a much brighter ting, crash, and bell.  Plus it's so nice to play.  Reacts perfectly to sticking.
I think it was just the beauty of the hybrid that lured me in.  But I'm telling you, they've been making the K ride for a long time without ever changing it, and there's reason for that!

Thanks, SmoothOperator.  The original K's aren't getting as much hype right now, compared to the hybrids.  I've been reading so much about them lately, and since my local shop doesn't have them, I had to ask.  I'll bet they've got the straight up K ride.  Still, gotta wait until I can compare them all together.

I did try their K Custom flat top ride.  Sweetness.  Those K's are hard to beat, I tell you.  I love my Paragon ride, but it had to stay at home when I played a blues gig this weekend.

btw, Christopher and JW -- loved the images.  I relate to them too, unfortunately...

Shoot, got sidetracked -- back to my original question...has anyone heard/played them mic'd up?  Especially in a loud, hard rock context...

formula428

Not a fan of the rides, but man those K Custom Hybrid Crashes (larger ones, 17" +) sound AMAZING.  Oddly enough, they match my 18 A Thin Crash...???

memfodrumma

I have a k custom  hybrid ride. Nice sound, Strong bell, smooth shoulder, crashes ok, very forgiving when overplayed.

swede

I got the 19" K hybrid crash, because I wanted a crash that could be ridden on. I have not mic'd it yet, but I would suspect you may want less wash if you're trying to cut through the mix of amps. I do like how when you play the lathed part it's washy, and when you play the polished part it's pingy. I was looking for versatility and so far it seems to fit my bill. I buy my cymbals @ a local shop that will let me try for a couple days and return to trade for different sound if needed. That way you can make sure you like it with the mix of your whole kit.