• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Hi-hat with congas

Started by chilledbongo, December 06, 2006, 08:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chilledbongo

In the belief that no appendage should go unused, I'm considering adding a hi-hat to my conga set-up. I already play a gajate foot pedal with my right foot, and the hi-hat would go on the left, just like a regular trap set-up. I usually sit while playing. Since I sometimes use rutes or sticks with congas and a very cool hand splash/ride cymbal by sabian, im thinking the hi-hat would add to the overall sound effect.
I've never seen any conga player use a hi-hat, though im sure some do.
My questions: which hi-hat cymbals would be most versatile and complementary? and which hi-hat hardware would be ideal, keeping in mind that i don't necessarily need the heaviest duty? 8)

Bart Elliott

I use a Remote HiHat or stand HiHat from time to time in my set-up. Just last week I used this set-up for a performance, but also had Chajcha Shakers and Ghungaroos around my left leg. This allowed me to just play the Shakers with my left leg, or just play HiHat, or play both Shakers and HiHat.

If you decide to add HiHat into the set-up, you can always close the HiHat permanently when you want to do something else with your left foot.

You can also get another Gajate bracket, and mount a Tambourine, etc; even use an X-Hat which would be permanetly closed so no foot is needed.

Bob Bartley

I would think that any mid priced HH stand would work just fine. As far as cymbals, I have the new Zildjian K Custom Hybrids 13". They have very nice chink sound to them. You would have to go hear some different ones and get what sounds best to you.

Another thing I have done is put sleigh bells on the HH. Get a long paddle drill bit that is slightly smaller the the dia of the HH rod. Drill a hole up into the wood core, not the handle. Take off cymbals, add some thick cymbal felt to the base, slide the rod in the hole you drilled and adjust the height so the bells hit the felt at the bottom. Works great!

Bart Elliott

Quote from: Bongobob on December 06, 2006, 09:25 AM
I would think that any mid priced HH stand would work just fine. As far as cymbals, I have the new Zildjian K Custom Hybrids 13". They have very nice chink sound to them. You would have to go hear some different ones and get what sounds best to you.

Yes, any HiHat stand can work ... as long as it works with your set-up. This is why I use a Remote HiHat sometimes, because my set-up doesn't allow for the HiHats to be positioned where my foot needs to be in order to operate them, let alone be able to reach them to play with my hands or stick. This is why a Remote HiHat is nice. You can position the HiHats where they work best in your set-up, while being able to position the foot pedal where it needs to be. With a standard HiHat stand, you are stuck; wherever the foot pedal is, the HiHats are directly above.

chilledbongo

yeah, the remote does sound like a great idea, just in case, though i would like to keep the hh cymbals close enough to play by stick. nice idea on the bells, too, and of course, tambourine
re hh cymbals: there is the typical overload out there. ive tried many and find it hard to decide, but definitely dont want junk. zildjian new beats used to be standard, but now, who knows? what might go great with congas? 8)

Bart Elliott

Quote from: chilledbongo on December 06, 2006, 10:57 AM
yeah, the remote does sound like a great idea, just in case, though i would like to keep the hh cymbals close enough to play by stick. nice idea on the bells, too, and of course, tambourine
re hh cymbals: there is the typical overload out there. ive tried many and find it hard to decide, but definitely dont want junk. zildjian new beats used to be standard, but now, who knows? what might go great with congas? 8)

Just because it's on a remote doesn't mean it can't be close. The idea is that you mount the Remote HiHat exactly where you need or want it ... then you have a cable running to the foot pedal which you place where you want it. The only limitations is the length of your cable ... assuming you've got a place to mount the Remote HiHat. With my Conga/Perc set-up, my Remote HiHat is mounted to it's own stand, so I can place it right in front of me or wherever I want ... then the foot pedal goes where I want it, which is normally by my other Gajate brackets and pedals. With this option the HiHat doesn't have to be to your left, right where your left foot is.

Perhaps I need to take some photos and post them.  8)

Bob Pettit

Quote from: Bart Elliott on December 06, 2006, 11:01 AM.....my other Gajate brackets and pedals. With this option the HiHat doesn't have to be to your left, right where your left foot is.

Perhaps I need to take some photos and post them.  8)

Would be nice to see some photos Bart.  :D

How many pedals do you use?

dannydrumperc

Quote from: chilledbongo on December 06, 2006, 08:51 AM... a very cool hand splash/ride cymbal by sabian, im thinking the hi-hat would add to the overall sound effect...

...My questions: which hi-hat cymbals would be most versatile and complementary? and which hi-hat hardware would be ideal, keeping in mind that i don't necessarily need the heaviest duty? 8)

I assume your cymbal is the 13" splash/crash many guys at the congaboard forum rave about, from Sabian's "El Sabor" line, right? If I'm right, then try to find your hats from that same line - they should match nicely. Also, Sabian has some mini-hats (10" &/or 12") on their AA line. Those are very nice sounding cymbals and should work great with a percussion setup.

BTW, the guys are right about remote/cable hihats. That's a very good idea to try because it gives you endless positioning posibilities for the cymbals without sacrificing a comfortable positioning of the pedal. Be sure to get plenty of cable.