• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Zildjian Earth Plate Dimensions?

Started by SimonORorke, November 17, 2006, 05:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SimonORorke

I'm thinking about ordering one or the other Zildjian Earth Plate (High or Low).  It's years since I've seen one here in New Zealand.  It would need to fit into a restricted space in a percussion rig.  So it would help to know the dimensions.  So, can anyone please tell me the width and height of either the High or Low Zildjian Earth Plate?

Any comments about what they sound like or how they can be played would be of interest too.

SimonORorke

Thanks.  I've seen some of that info before.  I don't see anything there that looks like it is going to tell me the dimensions.

Dave Heim

Quote from: SimonORorke on November 30, 2006, 06:16 PM
Thanks.  I've seen some of that info before.  I don't see anything there that looks like it is going to tell me the dimensions.

Well, if these Zildjian products were laid out together and photographed (hard to say if they all were or not - probably not), the Earth Plates seem to be about the same size and a little smaller than a Burma Bell.  The Burma Bell, the gold dude in the bottom center of the photo, measures about 8" across the bottom.  The Zil Bells shown on the left of the photo are 6" and 9", so they look a tad small compared to the Burma Bell - but they're close.  So, the photo might be fairly accurate as to size.

You could also try contacting Zildjian's customer service department:

Avedis Zildjian Company
International Headquarters
22 Longwater Drive
Norwell, MA 02061
USA

SimonORorke

Thanks, Dave.  Actually, the moment has passed.  I've found something else to fit into the gap in my percussion rig.  So I'm no longer considering getting an Earth Plate, for now at least.

If anyone's interested, I'm getting a "Gongchime Plate".  It has been custom-made for me by Ed Mann to fit the available space, cut from a UFIP Bionic bronze cymbal.  There is some information about it, including a picture and a sound sample, at  http://www.edmann.info/GongchimePlate02.html]http://www.edmann.info/GongchimePlate02.html .

I expect to be receiving the Gongchime Plate on Monday.  It should be much more versatile than an Earth Plate, though of course that is not a fair comparison.