• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

I'm New Here ... (introduce yourself)

Started by Bart Elliott, January 01, 2007, 09:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bart Elliott

If you are new to our drum & percussion community forum here at the Drummer Cafe, and would like to introduce yourself ... this is the thread to do it in!

As the founder of the Drummer Cafe, I would like to personally welcome you and all of our new forum members! Tell us how you found out about the Drummer Cafe!

Be sure to familiarize yourself with the  http://www.drummercafe.com/forum/index.php?action=ezportal;sa=page;p=1]forum rules .

JJ

Hey Guys,
     Let me introduce myself.  My name is Jennifer and I live in the great city of Dallas TX. 
I am a 38 year-old mother of three whom I school during the day and teach martial arts at night.
     My husband is a guitar/vocals guy with a studio in our home.  I just started playing drums about six months ago to help out the guys with some basic tracks and working out songs.
     What started out as a way to help immediately turned into a passion.  Hitting things that don't move is a new concept.
     I am thrilled to find this site with concrete information.  EVERY drummer I asked basic questions just looked at their feet and mumbled something about personal preference. 
     I am looking forward to learning as much as I can from you guys.  No mumbling!  Just kidding.  I figure it has to be a drummer thing.
Jennifer

psdrummer

my name's Matthew, I'm 17, and I've played drums for about 11 years. I've been in a band with my brother and a friend for about 3 years. We mostly just play to jam, and enjoy the music...it may not be the funnest to listen to. We play alot of different stuff, inlcuding more oldschool rock, as well as modern rock stuff, and quieter acoustic stuff. We really enjoy just jamming on a song idea for 20 minutes or so, although we've condensed some stuff into shorter songs with vocals.

jnyman

I'm john, and I'm a drummer... oops, force of habit.

yo i'm new here but not new to drums. i play 'em, write about 'em, adore 'em & curse 'em.

pretty normal for here, right?

i'm an L.A. native but now i live in Alaska.

SDPU

Hello All,

I've been floating around in the background on a daily basis since September of last year, which is about the same time I started learning the drums. I have always wanted to play the drums and it feels great to be on the road to enlightenment.

I posted a few messages for the first time the other day. There has been no real need to ask anything so far as I've found most answers to my questions in the wealth of information contained in these forums (and the remainder on the Vic Firth site).

I'm currently working my way through Mark Wessels's A Fresh Start to the Snare Drum and Carmine Appice's Ultimate Realistic Rock. I practice on a RealFeel pad at home and rent a kit (Yamaha Oak Custom) for a few hours a week.

I'm 29 years old (never too late to start!) and currently work as a technical translator (Japanese to English) in Yokohama, Japan. I live in an old Japanese house and have a fibre optic internet connection - but no running hot water. Love that. I like taking photos too.

Greetings and I'll see you around.

SDPU

Z

Hello, I've been browsing these forums for quite some time. I had an account, but I completely forgot everything about it. I came back to these forums and tried to search for something, but alas you need to be logged in to do that. My old account was pretty much busted (the password recovering didn't work for me), so I "re-birthed" myself here in a new account.

Anyway about me, I'm currently a high school junior in the northern Virginia area. I've been playing drums since middle school, and been in school jazz bands since 8th grade. I have a very light touch and wouldn't mind playing below 6 in. off the head all the time. Unfortunately for me, my drum instructor says otherwise.  ;D My current set consists of a Ludwig hammered bronze snare... and thats it. One day I might raise enough funds (and make up my mind) to get me a nice bass and cymbals to go along with it. Till then I practice on my Gibraltar pad set.

memfodrumma

Quote from: Z on February 12, 2007, 06:22 PM
Hello, I've been browsing these forums for quite some time. I had an account, but I completely forgot everything about it. I came back to these forums and tried to search for something, but alas you need to be logged in to do that. My old account was pretty much busted (the password recovering didn't work for me), so I "re-birthed" myself here in a new account.

Anyway about me, I'm currently a high school junior in the northern Virginia area. I've been playing drums since middle school, and been in school jazz bands since 8th grade. I have a very light touch and wouldn't mind playing below 6 in. off the head all the time. Unfortunately for me, my drum instructor says otherwise.  ;D My current set consists of a Ludwig hammered bronze snare... and thats it. One day I might raise enough funds (and make up my mind) to get me a nice bass and cymbals to go along with it. Till then I practice on my Gibraltar pad set.

Well hopefully you can get a summer job to raise enough money for a set of good drums, cymbals, and cases. I have also found that begging the relatives works real good at your age........... Awesome snare, BTW

TheChristianDrummer

Hey fellow drummers, my name is Matt. I found out about the forum through the Psalm Drummers web site and thought it would great to start connecting with other drummers all over the world. Would love to network with other Christian drummers too to get their experiences of drumming in church and stuff.

Hugo Gouveia

A tardy hello.
I'm an American AND Portuguese living in Lisbon, Portugal. I took classes for 7 months a few years ago while living in Pittsburgh and now own what might as well be called a practice pad set and will more or less weekly play at a rented cheap studio.
18 years old, and although I do not act like it, every day that passes by without me trying to improve my drumming makes me sort of panic. I'm going to college and although extensively inexperienced compared to many a gentleman I am very passionate about percussion. I am trying to restart lessons, in order to achieve better technique and expand out of basic styles. As you might see, I'm looking to get a semi-pro kit, and hope to find soon where to use it on a practice basis.

I have a 5 man band with my best friends (tentatively/heroically called [the] Rubber Duckies), but things have not been productive at all, mainly due to our student lives. And stuff.

I hope to learn. I have learned a lot recently already from this cafe.

joejordan65

Hello Everyone,

My name is Joe Jordan.

I live in East Providence, RI.

I had been playing professionally 3-5 nights a week since the age of 15.

I am now 41 and semi-retired.

I was a member of MTV Basement Tapes finalists "Hostage" in the late 80's.

I also played with "Bittersweet" which was a touring original hard rock act in the early 90"s.

I have lived in MA, RI, FL, NY and CA during my pursuit of the elusive record deal.

My last pro gig was with the top NE alternative cover band "What Matters" from 1992-2002.

Mt last audition was with the top rated Ozzy tribute band "Believer".

http://www.believerusa.com/

I was also a drum instructor at "Rick's Music World" to 30-40 students.

I love all styles of music especially 80's metal, Alternative Rock and Jazz Fusion.

My drum solo from "Bittersweet" is posted on You Tube along with my other bands videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jE7oPzHobzY&mode=related&search=

Search for joejordan65 to go to my videos page.

I look forward to conversing with all of you on the forums.

Thank you,

Joe Jordan

ls1jay

Hey guys...

New guy here! I just thought I'd say hi. I've been playing for 30 yrs and have pretty much played it all (music wise). I guess at heart, I'm more of a hard rock/metal drummer in reality. I'm hoping this is a more mature forum than the one I just left. I won't say which one, but it was one of those... well, this brand is best... and your set up has to be like this... and so forth... Anyone know what I mean? Seemed like a bunch of spoiled kids with high dollar kits and 80% couldn't play good enough to justify their kits!

Anyway, enough of that. I'll post a couple links to pics of my kit just in case anyone is interested: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v80/JayinFlorida/DSCF5686.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v80/JayinFlorida/DSCF5687.jpg

If anyone would like to know the specs... just ask.  :)

Matt Self (Gaddabout)

Welcome Joe and Jay!

Joe, I vaguely remember some friends in high school liking your band. Or at least, I recall the band name sketched into their notebooks, right next to Ozzy, Metallica, and other bands of the day.

I was, of course, the only drummer in my high school who had a picture of Steve Gadd sitting behind his Yammies stuck in the slot of my Trapper Keeper, but I was the oddball single pedal player and the only drummer with short hair.

Rhyvven

QuoteMy last pro gig was with the top NE alternative cover band "What Matters" from 1992-2002.
QuoteI was also a drum instructor at "Rick's Music World" to 30-40 students.

Joe,

Greetings and welcome "home"....

I know of the above quite well. Grew up in Rehoboth, currently reside in Pawtucket. "What Matters" has been a staple of the RI scene....For-eva...

Rick's in Seekonk I assume.....

Glad to see a "familiar" face in these parts. Welcome once again.

joejordan65

Hello!

It's nice to know that someone remembers us "Old Timers"!

We probably know many of the same people.

Rhode Island is such a tight knit community.

Yes, I worked at the "Ricks Music World" under the great Doug Kelley, for a couple of years in the early 90's.

It always amazes me how time passes so quickly!

What are you up to these days?

Joe Jordan

china

Hi! I joined today, and I like it here. I'm also a member at the Pearl forums. I have been playing for 4 years and a member of my High School Drumline!!! Also a member of the school's symphonic wind ensemble (class AA) and percussion ensemble(class A). Our percussion ensemble recieved a 1 at contest (best score) and we are traveling to a national competition at the end of the month.
Although I played cymbals this year on drumline, as a result of missing tryouts and the first week of band, I am extremely motivated to make snare next year and continue on my quest to become a snare player at the university i hope to attend.
Guess that's it!!

Matt Self (Gaddabout)

hey wonko,

welcome. we prefer to rawk here. not so much hard drumming. some of us like to get fohnky. again, not so much hard drumming.

bring your A game and let er loose. glad to have you on board, rook!

The Gaddster

scrubs

Hey, I'm Chris. I've been fumbling around with drums for about 15mos. I am a songwriter with a small home studio and started playing drums to add some live percussion to my recordings. I think I found this site searching for info on the Remo Suede heads, which seem to be popular among some members here. So far, I've just been searching the archives -- seems like some friendly, knowledgeable folks around here.

My meager setup:
Gretsch Blackhawk EX Fusion in White Diamond & Gibraltar Hardware
Remo Suede, Renaissance, and Fiberskyn heads
Zildjian 13" K Custom Dark Hats, 16" K Custom Session Crash, 18" A Custom Fast Crash, 20" K Custom Dry Ride
Wuhan 12" China
Vic Firth SD4 Combo sticks, amongst others
Pearl Roadster D-2000 throne
accessory Ludwig 13" Piccolo Snare with Evans Strata 700 head/Hazy 300 SS

Kathrine Almlie

Hi folks..my name is Kat.  I've drummed my entire life.  I eat, sleep, breathe, and talk about drums and drumming most of the time.  I've been dubbed a "drum geek" and I'm not going to argue with that.  I don't have a huge collection of drums, but I have enough equipment to get the job done. I teach when I have a spare moment.  I've worked for a custom drum builder before so, I have knowledge of the building process etc.  I am just happy to be accepted by the drumming community as a female performer, singer and drummer.  It's been a long road and I've never given up.  I've been influenced by every drummer I've ever heard, but my all time favorite drummer is Bun E. Carlos.  Everyone has a fav.!  ;) ~Rock on~ Kat

diddle

Hi Kat.  Welcome to The Cafe!!  You should feel right at home here as many of us share your pasion for drums.  What experiences did you gain from working at the custom drum building shop?  I'm always interested in that subject.  Did you get a chance to hear the differences between various cuts of bearing edges?

Kathrine Almlie

I found the drummercafe forum through your Illustrious leader on Myspace!  He invited me to be a friend and I immediatley hopped on the forum as soon as I found it!  ~ Kat