• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

I'm New Here ... (introduce yourself)

Started by Bart Elliott, January 01, 2007, 09:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt Ionvkch

thanks. good stuff. I'm looking for a teacher of either latin, fusion, funk, or most preferably all three :P

I took lessons with Lanny Turner of Gary. He really gave me the octane I needed at the time but then one day pretty much said "well, that's about all I can teach ya".. haha, oh well. I knew there was almost an infinite amount more stuff we could have worked on. Loved chopping through this Horacio Hernandez book, doing all the left foot clave stuff, etc. I just haven't read drum music in so long that it all more or less looks like hieroglyphics now.

CrashMonkey

Hello Drummer Cafe people. Let me introduce myself. My name is Mike and I live in a Northwest suburb of Minneapolis, Minnesota. I have played drums since the 6th grade which was, I'll just say a long time ago. I have recorded and performed in many Minneapolis based bands including 80's heavy rockers Scream Parade and some popular club bands like Decade and Arena. I am currently in an original rock project which has been putting together a demo and working towards getting a live show together. We are also possibly looking to add a 5th member if the right person comes along.

I am also an avid off road motorcycle racer. I have been involved in racing for more than 25 years and still can't get enough.

Drumming and racing seem to go together for me and allways have.

Some drummers who have paved my path over the years include: Mike Portnoy, Neil Peart, Peter Criss, Alex Van Halen, Lars Ulrich, Charlie Benante, Nicko McBrain, Steve Smith, Deen Castranovo, and local great Adrian Liberty.

Jason Runyon

New member here, kind of.  I used to be a member years ago and have been busy with work, kids, etc so I hadn't posted in ages.  I guess my profile was inactive too long so I just re-registered. 

Anyway, I've been playing drums for about 24 years, never full time as a career.  I've been in a few bands, but mainly play with my buddies that I have known for years as well as my father in law, who has converted his garage into our practice area complete with A/C, heat and refrigerator!  So, it is truly our man-cave, our home away from home, and our place to relax and make music. 

I have 2 kits:  Tama Starclassic Performer in red sparkle fade, and my old pearl exports, which are converted into an electronic kit for practice/jamming at home.  Snares: Pearl FF piccolo with Brass and maple shell, Starclassic Birch, Pork Pie Big Brass, Pearl Dennis Chambers Signature, and DW Collectors Solid Maple Shell. 

So, glad to be back and looking forward to some good conversations on the forum.

J

Chip Donaho

Hey Mike, You've known me involved with motorcycles for many years. You are now amongst some of the best drummers around. Good to see you here....  8)

David Endres

Hey everyone!  I'm Dave, and I'm almost 21 years old.  I was really into drumming throughout high school... I was the marching and concert band and always dreamed of drumming for a corps someday.  Unfortunately, after my senior year, I kind of let it go.  I've been trying to get back on my game lately, and I figured this would be a great place to go to learn.

Here's a recent video of me, if you're interested... nothing introduces a drummer better than seeing him play. :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRuLeXFJcag#]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRuLeXFJcag#

I look forward to learning from you, helping with whatever I can, and having discussions with other talented percussionists.

- Dave

donelk

Dave Heim

Brett Conroy

I can't believe I am just now finding Drummer Cafe! 

I'm Brett and I've been playing drums/percussion for about 15 years now.  Playing in a quite a few bands here and there, and I've done a bit of studio work.  Nothing big name or anything but still good experience.  I'm currently working on a getting a Blues/Funk project together and I really can't wait for things to get started with it here in the next few weeks.  Although I consider myself a pretty versatile drummer, as I play Rock, Blues, Funk, Jazz, Latin, and everything in between.  My latest groove that I've been woodshedding is the Songo, as I am playing "On Fire" by Michele Camillio with the OU Jazz Percussion Ensemble, and the drumset part is very songo oriented.

I attend Ohio University and I have been involved in their Percussion Ensemble and Jazz Percussion Ensemble, and was one of the members who performed at PASIC 2009 with the OU Percussion Ensemble.

I can't wait to look around more and get to know everyone!

NY Frank

You just found the best drum forum on the planet.  Welcome.

Chip Donaho

Another experienced drummer to chat with. I agree with NY Frank, welcome aboard Brett.  ;)

Bart Elliott

Quote from: Brett Conroy on December 19, 2010, 12:00 AM

Brett, welcome to the Drummer Cafe! I'm glad you found us and I'm looking forward to getting to know you. Again, welcome.

Hannah Ford

Quote from: Brett Conroy on December 19, 2010, 12:00 AM

I'm Brett and I've been playing drums/percussion for about 15 years now.  Playing in a quite a few bands here and there, and I've done a bit of studio work.  Nothing big name or anything but still good experience.  I'm currently working on a getting a Blues/Funk project together and I really can't wait for things to get started with it here in the next few weeks.  Although I consider myself a pretty versatile drummer, as I play Rock, Blues, Funk, Jazz, Latin, and everything in between.  My latest groove that I've been woodshedding is the Songo, as I am playing "On Fire" by Michele Camillio with the OU Jazz Percussion Ensemble, and the drumset part is very songo oriented.

I attend Ohio University and I have been involved in their Percussion Ensemble and Jazz Percussion Ensemble, and was one of the members who performed at PASIC 2009 with the OU Percussion Ensemble.

I can't wait to look around more and get to know everyone!

Welcome Brett,

You've picked an incredible family to share with.

Congrats!!

Peace Love & Drums...

Hannah

Brett Conroy

Wow, I like the welcoming!  Thanks everyone!

Lonnie L. Jones

Hello folks!  I've been lurking in he shadows for a few months and thoroughly dig this scene.  I've been playing for 41 years and have seen it all; the highs and lows of touring, personalities, teaching, playing local gigs, the drugs, alcohol and knives in backs so to speak... I've played '60s Rock, Country, Blues, Broadway musicals, (not ON Broadway) R & B, Big Band & Swing, New Age, Celtic... 

I've been inspired, jaded, depressed and rejuvenated many times and I'm still here! 

Glad to meet you all.

~Lonnie L. Jones
Nova Scotia
Canada

NY Frank

Brett Conroy

I new here too, but Welcome nonetheless! :)

Lonnie L. Jones

Thanks folks!  It's an honour to be here.

Kim Lauzé

Hi there :)

I'm brand new in here, so I'll quickly introduce myself. I was looking for a pool of musicians, people with whom I could share my drumming passion, that unfortunately I started to late if u ask me!

Been drumming for less than I year, started out learning by myself some Metallica songs... yeah, it's not quite the easiest but at that time, I didn't know ^^

And couple months ago, just thought it was time for me to take some lessons and get the technicals stuff, have someone show me and help me to progress.

I'm more of a metal/rock player but euh... well let's say that metal is little too heavy for me still, which makes me a rock music drummer that aspires to be a metal drummer eventually lol. I just got into the double bass pedal this week, working simple double bdrum beats to get my legs working ... they are soooo retarded, at least it's getting better.

Maybe u guys have exercises that could help me ? So I work part time and drum full time until I get back in school in september ;)

I think I'm going nuts with it... well doesn't matter! I'm glad to be part of your drum community, hoping to get to know other drummers and exchange about it :)

Chip Donaho

Hi Kim....Well, there's a lot more to playing drums than just learning to kick double bass pedals.
Matter of fact, many of us can use a single pedal as fast plus sound better than many drummers.  Many can play metal, jazz, rock, country, blues, etc., and don't even feel the need for a double pedal. Lessons are a must to help beginners learn a lot more than just pedal control.  ;)  Welcome to drumming.  8)

Kim Lauzé

Quote from: Chip Donaho on February 07, 2011, 08:07 PM
Hi Kim....Well, there's a lot more to playing drums than just learning to kick double bass pedals.
Matter of fact, many of us can use a single pedal as fast plus sound better than many drummers.  Many can play metal, jazz, rock, country, blues, etc., and don't even feel the need for a double pedal. Lessons are a must to help beginners learn a lot more than just pedal control.  ;)  Welcome to drumming.  8)

Hell yeah, you're right but.... it's just a personnal challenge to be able to use it well. There is little things I wish to learn for my very own pleasure, no showing off matter ^^ in fact, I couldn't... I'm still very shy about playing in front of others  ;D

My drum teacher is not showing how to use, just trying to learn it by myself, as an on-the-side goal. He's actually a great Jazz player, not my style but he rocks  8)

Thanks for the welcoming!