• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

I'm New Here ... (introduce yourself)

Started by Bart Elliott, January 01, 2007, 09:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aviv Cohen

Hi everyone,
My name is Aviv Cohen and I've been playing drums for the past 14 years, while doing it professionally for the past 9.
I am originally from Tel Aviv, Israel but relocated to Los Angeles, CA about 2 years ago.
I grew up playing a lot of Rock and Pop music but as the years went by I've gotten deep into Reggae, Funk, RnB and Hip Hop as well.
And that's it in a nutshell I guess.
Aviv.

Walter Beyer

Hey all, 1st post.

After a 10 year hiatus from the local scene, I'm going back in feet first.
I sold my Yammy stage customs outfitted with a rack & Z's & A's and thought I'd never play again.

Fast forward a recent friendship has rekindled my desire to play & write again... I've always kept a book of words, (songs) since the sale. Well, my Sister in law started dating a guitar player, and well, I got pumped!!!!
I'm 35, played till I was 25 from age 10 or so, now, at 35 I have a new kit and new outlook. I'm stoked, the wife is stoked. Glad to be here!!

Walter

Alfred Brendel

Hello all! I've just started taking drum lessons and am loving it! I found this lively forum and hope to learn and have fun!

Brendon Youmans

Hi everyone :D my names Brendon. I'm 23 years old, been playing for 11 years now. I play in a post hardcore band called Diver City. Glad to be part of an awesome forum like this and look forward to meeting everyone here:)

Bart Elliott

Welcome to all of our new Drummer Cafe community forum members!

Steve Blandford

Hi, im Steve (aka harleytech51) and im new here so just thought id best introduce myself.I live in Cambridgeshire United Kingdom in a small village.Ive been playing drums for around 45yrs at all levels up to semi-pro which i did for the last four years prior to the band breaking up. My last band played a mixture of original and covers in the country rock/blues vein..Im now playing for my own pleasure, working out all the things ive heard over the years but never gotten to do...lol...Have downsized my kit in a big way too..lol..Currently im looking for similar aged and like minded musicians in my area where im hoping to put together a small pub rock/blues band for just the odd gig or so..I look forward to making new friends through the forum and hope to share some knowledge and tips from/with everyone here...Kind regards to you all.

Alex Smith

Hi fellow drummers. I play rock drums in a classic rock, blues influenced band in New York. Besides playing drums, I'm also learning to sing back up and lead vocals while playing. I enjoy the challenge and the ability to express myself tonally as well as rhythmically.

Shaun Hopkins

New here, and glad to finally be back drumming, and not on CB's! I've been coming to DC sporadically for years, same as I've been drumming. Cheers.

Bart Elliott

Welcome Steve, Alex and Shaun ... good to have you be a part of the Drummer Cafe community!

Luke Elwick

Hey guys, I guess it's my turn to introduce myself here...
I've been a member for a while, I actually thought I'd introduced myself before but I lost my username and password for here so couldn't check till now... Well, here goes:

Hi, I'm Luke, I'm from Manchester in England and I'm 35 years old.
I've been a drummer for the best part of 30 years (I had to stop playing kit when I couldn't find anywhere to store it for rehearsals for about 3 years, not a good feeling...).

I've owned three different kits in my life:
* An orange Premier Club jazz 4-piece
* A teal Tama Granstar 7-piece
* My current Mapex Meridian Birch 6-piece.

22" x 18" (x2) bass drums
12"x 8", 13" x 9" rack toms
14" x 14", 16" x 16" ground toms
14" x 5.5" Meridian snare, 14" x 5.5 Black Panther snare

I play in a rock and heavy metal covers band called Fretsaw
( http://www.youtube.com/fretsawband]Youtube Channel ,  http://www.facebook.com/fretsawband]Facebook Page )
but I also enjoy playing stuff like The Crusaders and L L Cool J (yes, really).

Scott Martinson

Greetings DrummerCafe,  Not only am I new to this community, I am new to drumming altogether.  I've been playing guitar for just about 30 of my 38 years but always had a secret love of drums and drumming.  Just about a month ago, for my mid-life crisis, I decided to take up lessons and I can't be happier with my decision.  I've had 3 lessons so far and at my last one got to play my first beat and that changed everything.  It was so much fun, even though it was very simple, and now I just can't get enough playing.

Anyway, I'm hopeful to use this community to learn, see some awesome drummers and drumsets and share a few laughs.  I'm glad to be here and I'll see you all around, --Scott

Bart Elliott

Welcome to the drumming community, Scott!

Paul Smith

Hello Drummer Cafe!

My name is Paul. I am a drummer(ok I try to play the drums) from Kent, OH. I've been playing for about ten years now. I like many styles of drumming. I can listen to the double bass extravaganza type playing all the way to blues shuffles.

I have a couple sets right now. I have a DW workshop series and a Mapex, uh.... let's go see, just bought it used... ah, it's an M series ( anyone have one of these? It's one of the older sets). Sabian HH cymbals, love my HH duo crash and fusion hats. The ride is good but I'd like one of their artisan rides. Just picked up the Iron Cobra Double pedals with that Mapex set. Wow, are they fast and smooth! I was really surprised at the difference between them and my DW7000 single pedal that I've been pounding away on for the last several years.

Well, that's a little about me. Looking forward to getting to know you all and learning more about the drums and drumming!

Paul

Chip Donaho

Hi Paul,
I have two older Mapex sets and an older DW set. As far as I'm concerned the Mapex sets are just as good as the DW set. One of my Mapex sets is made of cherrywood and the other is a maple set. My DW set is also made of maple. I do have to admit the DW set has a much nicer finish to it. But the sound is great with either set. Welcome to Drummer Cafe, it's the best drum site around.  ;)

Steve Allen

Hello, all,

Not really new, I joined many years ago, but got away from it. Now, as I am retired and intend to put emphasis on playing again, felt the need to be a part of this forum. Best on the web for my money, Thanks, Bart et. al.

MOUSE

Poppin in for a look, been busy forming a band last two which has been a comedy of errors, but finally got a steady line up, did two gigs recently which went really well, and secured pencilled bookings for next year from them. Vocalist decides is too busy in day job to commit and leaves, then bass player and guitarist follow in same breath??? Was it the colour of my shirt?

So back i'm to scratch, and so have time to re-visit drummer web sites, until i can find some other muso's. Still doing an excellent job here Bart  8)

Jason Horsler

jason horsler here. not exactly new but stopped posting so long ago due to commitments that my user account expired or something. any way great to be back to barts family and chatting drums.
i'm in chessington london. a full time drum teacher and i also run the hook recording studio.
j

Lenny

Well, after drifting away from the drums 25 years ago, I found myself holding a pair of sticks last March. In those 25 years I managed to learn to play(well, I call it playing) guitar. I have a small collection of electric and acoustic's. But in the back of my mind I always knew the road of life would lead me back to them. And it has. First came the sticks and pad last March. I was never very good and didn't take but a few lessons. I just loved to play my rag tag POS thrown together set. And when I say POS I mean it. Beat up drums held together with duck tape. The one thing I did have were some good cymbals. Back to the story. I practiced when I could and that meant the dreaded rudiments that I never learned back then. And then a defining moment. I work on Long Island in the summer and in Florida during the winter. I have a condo in Florida so a real acoustic kit was out of the question. But an electric one..........Roland, Yamaha, Alesis.......I was close to making a call when I found myself at the Gretsch website one day. I saw their limited edition Renown 57 kits. But when I looked online at the prices I couldn't justify spending $1500-2000 on a set I couldn't play in my condo. This was back in June or July. I didn't buy anything but kept my eye on the Renown's at ebay. Fast foward to September and all of a sudden the price started dropping. And dropping..........and dropping. I didn't think I could pull the trigger.......but I did. 5 piece Gretsch Renown 57 in Motor City Red! For $800 shipping included. To be continued tomorrow.........Thanks all for looking in.

Jon E

Welcome aboard !  This is great place to hang out.

I dig the Gretchen 57.  The red s killer!

Lenny

The Gretsch Renown 57 kit in red.. I had to set it up in a small space between the dining room and living room. I originally set it up just for a few people to see. I have already bought cases for them. But I found out about drum silencers. Now I'm thinking about leaving it up all season! Still working on my cymbal set up. The hi hats are Paiste Signature 14" Dark Crisp. These were bought back in the late 80's or maybe very early 1990's and never used. Paiste 3000 20" ride. Brand new Paiste 2002 15" crash and a Paiste Rude 20" crash/ride. I will probably replace the two 20" cymbals. The ride sound ok, but I want a little more ping and a little less wash. The Rude I got cheap and it's just too heavy  as a crash. I thought I could upload a picture. I guess I can't. Oh well.......