• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

I'm New Here ... (introduce yourself)

Started by Bart Elliott, January 01, 2007, 09:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dream2Badrummer

Bart, can I ask you a question? Where you the one who had the idea to make this forum?  If so, great idea.

Mongrel

This is actually my second time around (... I have the shirts to prove it!)...I got sidetracked with other things and well, let's just say I "expired"  ;)

Anyway, my real name is "Anthony"; Mongrel is an old online-gaming nickname that, well...just 'is'...

Started playing about two months after my 14th birthday and a month after my parents divorced.  Spent 5 years playing trumpet as a frustrated drummer prior to that.  Bought a bunch of odd-ball pieces off of a kid down the street for $30 bucks and used an old potato chip can as a bass drum.  In June of '77 I talked my father into buying me a real kit, which I still have (Rogers red-onyx 'mongrel' Cleveland, Dayton, Fullerton kit...).  Played hard until about 1985, until 'personal issues' (read: drugs & alchohol..) ruined my rockstar plans.  Put the kit into storage in Feb. 1987 when I went clean and met my wife.  Became a Christian, got married and didn't play again until about 1993 or so.  Started playing regularly in Dec. 1999 when I purchased a Tama Starclassic Performer kit with a small bit of money left to me after my mom's death.

Nowadays I bang on an electric kit in a church praise band on Sunday mornings and while I wait to be discovered...well...that's the dream anyway...

I've had about three 'formal' lessons, I suck at math and play by heart.  Can't count a measure off in my head on a good day, but I get by.  Lots of help early on from drummers who either didn't have a kit and used mine, or had no place to practice and used my house-and I'm grateful for all of them.  Someday I'll get around to sending a tape off to Bart so he can give it to me straight  ;D

Anyway-Drummer Cafe is still a great place and I'm glad to be back!

Almost forgot:  5'6", one hundred and too many pounds, Wife, three kids, one granddaughter....

(let me know if this is too much information and I'll edit it down to one sentence... :-[...)

Bart Elliott

Quote from: Dream2Badrummer on May 02, 2007, 09:15 AM
Bart, can I ask you a question? Where you the one who had the idea to make this forum?  If so, great idea.

Yes and Yes. I was part of another drum forum back in 2000 that was dying. James Walker and Felix were part of that same forum. I got the idea to start my own forum and incorporate some of the values that I thought needed to be present in an online community ... and the Drummer Cafe was born ... December, 2001. Needless to say its grown a lot since then and the vision is a lot bigger now.

Matt Self (Gaddabout)

Quote from: Bart Elliott on May 03, 2007, 08:33 AM
Yes and Yes. I was part of another forum back in 2000 that was dying. James Walker and Felix were part of that same forum. I got the idea to start my own forum and incorporate some of the values that I thought needed to be present in an online community ... and the Drummer Cafe was born ... December, 2001. Needless to say its grown a lot since then and the vision is a lot bigger now.

Hey, I was part of the great migration, too! ;)

MVanDoren1

Mongrel... I, too, let my inactivity for a bit expire my previous "membership" or whatever you'd call it, personal reasons, but have been very glad to be back... welcome back

Bmangia

Hello everyone

my name is Brendan and i'm a drum addict. I'm 21 years old. I've been drumming since I was 12 or something like that. I honestly don't remember an exact age. My avatar is lame. I own a pearl masters studio kit, racked. I'm not a fan of using the same brand cymbals all around, even though people tell me I should. Right now I use a mix of zildjians, sabian B8's, wuhan turkish chinas, and pearls. I like the way they sound... i'll probably put my full specs in sig.

oh and I'm from manchester connecticut. I'm currently not in a band. I was in a band for  like 6-7 months but I left due to the lack of creativity and commitment of other members.

No one knows who I am. I wasn't exactly an "active" member in my school. I got kicked out and went to boarding school in california. That was cool. Some really rich kid brought in a $5000 electric set... I used it 10x more than he did. Pretty much every day for like, 2 years or so. That kid hated me. But I really didn't care.

anyways... i'm always looking for people to meet, hopefully this site with give me some kind of exposure.

and thats about it.

Rusty Beckett

Welcome Brendan - I had to laugh at the DA (Drummer's Anonymous) type introduction - you're in good company as I venture to say most, if not all, of us are drum addicts . . .

Dave H.

Dave Huffman here, found this place the other night I thought I would give it a try.
I play Ludwig & GMS drums & use Zildjian cymbals . Have the GMS set for sale & they will be at the chicago show. I am playing a mid 80's ludwig kit with a large 14" X 28" bass drum, 12" X 14 rack tom & a 16" X 16" floor tom.
I love talking drums both old & new. Glad to find this place.
                                           Dave Huffman

Paicey

Welcome aboard Dave. Great board here if your stuck on equiptment choices, need info on building a custom snare-drum or anything that involves the greatest art in the universe....DRUMMING!! 8). 28'' bass drum?, it takes a hell of a man to control a 28. Sounds like you and Abe Laboriel Jr. may be starting the latest fad. The largest BD ive owned was a 26 and im now down to a 22 for ease of miking and fitting in my 96 Kia sportage.

Dave H.

It's weird but the 14" X 28" is a real easy drum to get a good soud from for me. It can be real soft or roar like a lion. Love that drum. My problem drum is the 12" X 14" rack tom. I just found a 9" X 13" shell that I will have painted to match the custom red - silver duco a friend in Indy. Painted for me. I may use the 14" as a floor tom or cut it down to a 7" X 14 snare drum.
I pretty much have always played American made drums Except I do have a nice 80's Tama Rock Star I am going to use for trading material. I helped a buddy out that needed some$$$.
Drums sure are fun!
                                                      Dave Huffman :)

NY Frank

I don't think I introduced myself yet.  If I did already, my apologies.  [I tried to search and couldn't find myself.  :)  ]

I have been trying to find a drum forum *home*, and I introduced myself elsewhere, but I don't think here.

Anyway, I'm returning to drumming after many, many years.  I studied drums for several years as a kid, and gigged in my teens and twenties.  It went on the shelf when I got out of the house, got married, had kids, etc.   

In my 30's, I *discovered* bass, and currently, I gig out on bass.

Recently, the urge has been too great to deny any longer, and I had to return to drums.  I now have a small, compact kit in my house for the first time in many years.

I'm actually having more fun returning to work on rudiments than I do playing rhythms and playing along to songs.    For now. 

It's great to be back.

felix

Quote from: Gaddabout on May 03, 2007, 10:53 AM
Hey, I was part of the great migration, too! ;)

Yes, but we had that terrible fight and the three of us ignored responding to your threads- so you left, remember?   ;D

Oh and welcome Noobs.  Please contribute alot here ok?  I will be your friend until you bag on my playing  ;D  Brownie points are awarded for putting your stamp on my threads (even though they usually aren't very good).  ;D

he he he  Have fun guys.

Matt Self (Gaddabout)

Quote from: felix on May 07, 2007, 08:04 PM
Yes, but we had that terrible fight and the three of us ignored responding to your threads- so you left, remember?   ;D

LOL

I think you're thinking of JB. And being ignored has never stopped me from posting here. I've had many great conversations with myself!

;D

Peppe

Ok, I'm a little late, but....

I'm Peter Olofsson, living in Umeå, north Sweden. I've been drumming since 1983, and I play some bass, keyboards and guitar as well. Not "as well", but......

Soon I'm graduating as an electronics engineer at the university of Umeå, so I might have to move frome here later, who knows.... Anyway, I currently make a living playing gigs with my cover band in Umeå, and sometimes in the mountains, also (after-ski gigs).

The Drummer Café is a great place to hang out  :)

Drum Slave Jack

Quote from: Peppe on May 12, 2007, 09:12 PM
sometimes in the mountains, also (after-ski gigs).
How does that work? Please forgive my ingorance but I do not have a huge experiance of mountains or anything to do with them seeing as I live in central Urban England :) Are they staged in ski huts or something?
Welcome To The Drummer Cafe!
Jack

Chris Whitten

Hi Peter,
I visited Umea a couple of years ago......in Winter.
It was a lovely place!  :)

Peppe

All the after-ski gigs I've done so far has been in hotel bars, but last year in Riksgränsen (on the Norwegian border) the weather was so good, we played outdoors. If you've seen "Copper Mountain" (Jim Carrey's debut, horrible movie ;D ) you have an idea what it looks like. Very beautiful  :)

We also play in a place called Borgafjäll. Unfortunately, we didn't play there on New Year's Eve 2005. Unfortunately because, later I learned that Robert Plant showed up in the audience that night, and asked to sing some songs with the band!!  :o  I can only imagine the adrenaline rush they must have felt.... The reason he was there was because he was dating the daughter of the owner of the hotel (Lisa Lövbrand, who has a solo record out now). You certanly don't expect to see Robert Plant in a place like Borgafjäll ;)

Chris, I assume you were visiting the Toontrack studio, or do you have other connections to UmeÃ¥? In fact, Toontrack is only 200 meters from where I grew up. I don't know the people at Toontrack, but I've played with the percussionist (Mikael Emsing) many times. He's in the video that you posted here some time ago.  :)

Chris Whitten

Quote from: Peppe on May 23, 2007, 06:38 AM
Chris, I assume you were visiting the Toontrack studio

Yes.

QuoteI don't know the people at Toontrack

They are a very nice crowd.
Incidentally, they're doing some pretty spectacular things with drum sampling and e-kits.

winter

Hey guys, another newbie here.  I just got my kit a year ago and love it.  I've been playing music for 12 years now, but I'm just brand new to drums.  Seems like there is a ton of knowledge here in this forum, and I'm lookin forward to adding to it with what I've got.

Cheers

Hannah Ford

Quote from: winter on June 04, 2007, 03:09 AM
Hey guys, another newbie here.  I just got my kit a year ago and love it.  I've been playing music for 12 years now, but I'm just brand new to drums.  Seems like there is a ton of knowledge here in this forum, and I'm lookin forward to adding to it with what I've got.

Cheers

This could be the first time I've EVER welcomed Winter!

Welcome to the DC!!  It's a great forum with values and a lot of knowledgable people willing to share good info.  I'm confident you'll like it here as much as the rest of us do.

Hannah