• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

I'm New Here ... (introduce yourself)

Started by Bart Elliott, January 01, 2007, 09:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Todd Norris

Quote from: HannahFordDrums on June 04, 2007, 07:20 AM
This could be the first time I've EVER welcomed Winter!

HA!  See Chrisso's Winter thread in Misc. section... 

OH, and welcome aboard folks!

TamaDrummer87

Im 20 years old, and own a Tama set, getting double bass and remo heads soon. Glad to be here, and on the bottom are links of me playing. Tell me what you guys think. Benn playing for a while, and yes sometimes I play too fast, but its good in the rock band im in. Glad to be here.

Necrophagous

i am Sabal from Nepal
my idols are Mike Portnoy, Virgil Donati and Doc(Vader)
i am a 100% self taught and i am just a novice.

ranchit4

Hi all,

i'm Randy. but just by name, not by nature.... i'm from Malaysia, and am guessing there's not many ppl from this region on this forum.......

i am pretty much a beginner/novice. am getting my first kit soon, and its a great forum!!

rc

Dream2Badrummer

Quote from: Bart Elliott on May 03, 2007, 08:33 AM
Yes and Yes. I was part of another drum forum back in 2000 that was dying. James Walker and Felix were part of that same forum. I got the idea to start my own forum and incorporate some of the values that I thought needed to be present in an online community ... and the Drummer Cafe was born ... December, 2001. Needless to say its grown a lot since then and the vision is a lot bigger now.

WOW!!! The forum has really changed!!  I love the changes!

MVanDoren1

Hi Randy, Hi Nec- welcome to the drummer cafe and hope your stay here is rewarding enough to keep you coming back. 

NY Frank

Welcome all recent newcomers. 

I'm new here myself - only been here a few months.

Cmon on - the water's fine.

[You found the Right drum forum.]

trigermortise

hello the camp. Trigermortise here, been kicking around here reading the articals for some time and finallly broke down and ordered the vip package. hope you have room for one more old drummer. been playing since 64. everything from show tunes to heavy metal. sometimes in the same day. any way, hello to all. looking forward to chating though i do get loooooong winded and sidetracted very easily. as for how i found this sight i have no idea. but glad i did.

James Doyle

Greetings all,

I'm fairly new to this forum and wanted to say hello to everyone out there.  I live in southern Colorado where I teach music (percussion, world music, music literature)  at Adams State College.  My career has included the USAF Band of the Golden West, numerous orchestras in the south and on the west coast, and various bands/groups in a variety of "styles" along the way.  My current projects include an Irish group, my own jazz trio, a marimba/flute duo, accompanist to a belly dance troupe, and in a couple weeks, I'm off to the Middle East/Horn of Africa with the rock band from the Air National Guard Band of the Gulf Coast. 

This forum has great stuff, great member responses, and a variety info for everyone to continue learning! 

Thanks DrummerCafe!!

James

jimmyt

hi guys, just introducing myself as a new member!
i've been reading posts for a while so thought it was time to jump on in.
cheers
jim

eardrum

Great to have you on board Jim.  Hope you enjoy the show :)

dimmy

Hey guys,
Name's Darren, and I'm 22. Just graduated from the University of Colorado, and maybe my first big regret of life is that my degree was not in music. Anyway, since I'm in the process of moving around, finding a job, getting settled, all that nonsense, I currently don't have any solid gigs, but hopefully in a month or so that'll change. I love playing all kinds of music, fave artists include everything from Coltrane to Marley to Tool.

Favorite drummers I'm digging right now include (short sample, obviously): Jeff Ballard (I've already decided my first dog I get in a month or so is going to be named Ballard, in tribute), Brian Blade, Elvin, Danny Carey, Chad Sexton (tight, tight, tight rudiment based drumming in a mainstream setting, love Chad) etc. So all gigs I've had before only satisfied my music thirst in only one sense, I prefer to have multiple projects going on at once. (Although sometimes my ambition overreaches my abilities!)

Anyway really random introduction, but glad to be here and look forward to being able to say words like "pataflafla" and know people understand what I'm talking about, and aren't thinking I've gone nuts.

Larry Lawless

Quote from: dimmy on July 19, 2007, 06:29 PM
Hey guys,
Name's Darren, and I'm 22. Just graduated from the University of Colorado

Hi, Darren, welcome to the forum. Bart and I were up in your neck of the woods just last summer doing a recording with Doug Walter, who teaches percussion at Ski U. Boulder is a very cool town.

QuoteChad Sexton (tight, tight, tight rudiment based drumming in a mainstream setting, love Chad)

You probably know this, but Chad got his chops marching snare in drum and bugle corps. I was the Percussion Caption Head of the Railmen in Omaha, Nebraska, when Chad was in the snare line. He went from us to a DCI finalist corps, the Sky Ryders.

- Larry

dimmy

Quote from: L Lawless on July 20, 2007, 07:01 AM
Hi, Darren, welcome to the forum. Bart and I were up in your neck of the woods just last summer doing a recording with Doug Walter, who teaches percussion at Ski U. Boulder is a very cool town.

You probably know this, but Chad got his chops marching snare in drum and bugle corps. I was the Percussion Caption Head of the Railmen in Omaha, Nebraska, when Chad was in the snare line. He went from us to a DCI finalist corps, the Sky Ryders.

- Larry

That's so sick. What was he like when he was marching for you guys? Was he just a normal old snare drummer (well compared to the others in the line, you can hardly call those guys "normal"), or did he stand out in any way?

Btw, given your experience I'm sure I'll be bouncing many ideas off you / asking for your advice in the future!!!

Larry Lawless

Quote from: dimmy on July 22, 2007, 08:36 PM
That's so sick. What was he like when he was marching for you guys? Was he just a normal old snare drummer (well compared to the others in the line, you can hardly call those guys "normal"), or did he stand out in any way?

Btw, given your experience I'm sure I'll be bouncing many ideas off you / asking for your advice in the future!!!

Chad was just a very nice high school kid. I was fortunate to have several of his talent level in the line. All the snares left for Sky. Some are now band directors in the Omaha area. Chad called me once when 311 was playing in DFW, but I wasn't able to go to the show.

JDubb

I never really posted here, but it seems like a cool place...
Glad to be here!!

Ross

tl;dr worthy

After a bit over 3 decades of drawing breath, only the first seven were without drums. Since then they have always been a part of my life. When other interests or activities were the focus of my attention, they were still lurking. For a period of not having a Set to play, the steering wheel of the car or my knees and chest took its place.

I shared a set with my older brother for several years. I remember a, well brotherly ;) , conversation. I had been on for a bit and He felt that it was his turn. All we had were some head phones to jam with and when he interrupted me he said "You don't know how to play that song, maybe you should learn it first. It's my turn." As I was getting up, I said to him with a smirk "I played it close enough for you to recognize it didn't I" and left the basement while dodging a 5B.

Nevertheless, I was always impressed with the accuracy with which he could match songs, fills, etc. Walking into the house within a few seconds, I knew what song he was playing. That just never was my style. I like butchering songs to make them the way they make me feel.

From what I have read so far on this forum, I am on the other side of the curve and will not have much to add. I will lurk, but in this situation, I feel it is more read, think, absorb- repeat and contribute when I can.

Ross

moviemarkdvd

Hi, I guess I'll introduce myself since I've been lurking here for a bit.  My name is Mark and I am a bit past the 4 decade point.  I grew up in MA and now lay my hat in the Inland Empire of SoCal.  I've always loved a variety of music.  I first started playing drums back in high school. I bought a 4-piece piece of crap from a guy I worked with.  Took a few lessons here and there.  I was never one for structured practice, I just loved banging away to to the radio or tapes.  By the time I turned 18, in true Kieth Moon style my set layed in busted-up splintered ruins.  Anger issues maybe?  Now after a 23 year break I'm jumping back in with a new Pearl set and an appreciation for taking it slower and learning the basics first.  These boards seem pretty cool with good info and I'm sure I'll be asking for advice a lot, and hopefullyill be able to add my 2 cents at some point.

MVanDoren1

Welcome Mark-
Glad to have you aboard.  Spend a while here and you'll find more than  a few who've, for one reason or another, taken a break from drums and come back to it with a renewed fervor.  Glad to hear of your newly aquired purchase and don't hesitate to jump in with ideas or questions, if we all had none of those this cafe wouldn't exist.

JeepnDrummer

Quote from: TheDudeAbides on April 19, 2007, 05:20 PM
...and live in southern Utah.
Alright!  Another Utahn here.  :)

Quote from: TheDudeAbides on April 19, 2007, 05:20 PMSome of my favorite drummers are ... Billy Ward ...
You're in luck.  Billy posts here every now and again.

BTW, welcome everyone!