• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

I'm New Here ... (introduce yourself)

Started by Bart Elliott, January 01, 2007, 09:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marcel Flateau

hi guys n gals im Marcel i work for p.a.hire London loz Vegas studio i am firstly a semi pro drummer and have been playing now for over 40 yrs i am now 53 yrs old and still play in an old rock n roll band also a rock covers band.
i have just acquired a Ludwig accent cs custom kit snare is dated 06/04/08 and i want to re furbish it any help on parts wud be great im in uk
  8)

Brandon Goodwin

Hi there,

My name is Brandon and I live in Montreal,  Canada. I see a few Montreal-ites here, which is pretty cool. I am the drummer & bandleader for a 7-piece Hard Bop group called B's Bees. We've played at the Montreal International Jazz Festival, and currently have a residency at a local jazz club where we play 2-3 times per month.

Check us out here:
http://www.bs-bees.com]www.bs-bees.com

We'll be releasing our first album this coming March.

Tim van de Ven

Quote from: Brandon Goodwin on December 19, 2014, 01:27 PM
Hi there,

My name is Brandon and I live in Montreal,  Canada. I see a few Montreal-ites here, which is pretty cool. I am the drummer & bandleader for a 7-piece Hard Bop group called B's Bees. We've played at the Montreal International Jazz Festival, and currently have a residency at a local jazz club where we play 2-3 times per month.

Check us out here:
http://www.bs-bees.com]www.bs-bees.com

We'll be releasing our first album this coming March.

Brandon is a killer player; check him out.

John Pinck

G'day,

My name's John, and I'm drumming just outside of Ottawa Canada in Aylmer Quebec.  I've got about 20 years experience behind kit, mostly playing in volume sensitive situations (small churches and coffee bars).  I've probably clocked more time with brushes or lightning rods in my hands than actual sticks.  I usually find myself in the folk/jazz/blues genre, but occasionally get a call to fill in rock/blues gigs.

Here's a rough sample of the types of things I'm doing these days.  And by rough, I mean it was recording on an iPhone by a passer-by while we were having an outdoor jam.  You drum geeks will probably get a kick out of the fact that I'm playing a K Constantinople attached to a Samsonite suitcase using a vice-grip wrench ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxR0GVrrImc#ws]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxR0GVrrImc#ws

Cheers,

John

Brandon Goodwin

Quote from: Tim van de Ven on December 21, 2014, 12:59 AM
Brandon is a killer player; check him out.

Thanks Tim :-). You're also a great drummer. And a much bowler than I am!

Andrey

Hey Guys,
     My name is Andrey. I am 20. I like drums  :) Here is my personal blog  http://barkingdrum.com/category/blog/]http://barkingdrum.com/category/blog/  where I am writing about drums and how drumming can change human's life.

I've played drums for about 8 years. And now I am looking forward to learn more!

Best wishes,

Andrey

Chip Donaho

I always enjoy meeting new people. This is one of the best drummer sites around.   8)

Ruddy De Leon

Hey-hey!
I am a Los Angeles based drummer. Currently, a little out of practice on the kit...idiophones are what I am perfecting, currently.

I studied for a year at the Musician's Institute in Hollywood, California. Great place! Good info. and friendly folks. Though, you must be prepared for the rapid pace and various class assignments. Grasping how to read drum notation was a bit tricky for this 1st timer!

If you have the cash, I recommend the experience. There's nothing like bonding with percussive bretherin in a class setting taught by top professionals in the biz! It's also great place to network and meet musician's of varying instruments. It's also cool, because you get to find yourself as an artist. You're not limited to what you normally listen to, the music scene there is so grand, you may go in a rocker but come out a aspiring country artist or world music master!

Plus: drums, drums, drums 24/7! It's heavenly! You'll never forget the simultaneous sound of various drummers attempting to master their craft. It's like the majestic roaring from a pack of lions. Nice!  =-)

Currently, I live in an apt. complex and don't have the freedom to play as I'd like.
As a way to keep the musician in me satisfied, I have made a few purchases in the hand percussion dept.
I have collected a few idiophones. I have others, smaller versions of some, this is what I use:
*Meinl Nino mini-conga
*LP Rock Shaker
*Trophy 8" triangle
*Meinl Nino Jingle Sticks
*Tycoon Percussion guiro
&
*Meinl Percussion 8.25" Claves.

I also have what I believe is an Indian Tumbaknaer Drum. Been with me a while, before I considered myself a percussionist, it's a little damaged. Still has a lovely sound, though.

Out of the idophones I have, I find teh guiro is the hardest to understand.
Jingle sticks are a sort of tamborine with a handle. They are very cool, don't see them used often in mainstream music. Though, they work really well in many radio-friendly tunes.

I have a variety of egg shakers, also. Since I've gotten the rock shaker, though, it's my 'go to' for shakin'. I used to be quite good, not so much anymore.

This is due to what I believe are electro-magnets surrounding me and a group of Mexican gangsters that are quite irresponsible with how they use them! I seem to have trouble getting the local authority to take me seriously. Hopefully, this will change soon.

Aside from the musicianship, I also write. I like writing poetry and have recently began creating my own conga exercise charts.
At some point, I also plan on getting started on charts for other idiophones.

And I looooove cats! Animals, in general, really.

That is me in a nutshell. Hope to learn some insightful stuff from ye in the future. I have browsed this forum before and find it quite cool, I usually frequent pop culture forums. Nice to find a place for the keepers of time!

Check out the 1st conga exercise chart that I created. It's meant to inspire creativity.
The time signature and lack of a 'true' pattern is meant to help you develop how to create your own drum solos. The time and lack of pattern is also meant to aide you 'break free' and move your hands in alternating strokes for creating the best beats and solos.

Of course, don't rush and start at a slower tempo to have your hands, wrists and other essential body parts develop all the right muscles that will help you be the fastest and strongest player you can be!

The exercise is derived from a text book: "Encyclopedia Of Reading Rhythms" by Gary Hess. Recommended!
Let me know what you think! I like the feedback.  =-)
Happy day, to ye! 

Tony Trout

Hi, gang! 

My name is Tony Trout and I, also, just joined the forum today.  I found ya'll while just surfing the internet for other drum forums and I'm so happy that I did!  I've been playing all kinds of instruments for years but I started out playing drums in my old home church - then I switched to electric guitar, acoustic guitar, slide guitar, lap steel, piano/keyboards, drums & I'm also a singer. 

My favorite music styles are from the 1950s/1960s/1970s.  I'm not so enthralled by today's music that's on the radio, unfortunately. 

I'm a huge...HUGE fan of the legendary drummer who worked with Elvis Presley from 1969-1977...and that drummer would be:  Ronnie Tutt!  I'll be getting an autographed photo of Ronnie next month after he gets off of the road with Neil Diamond.  I didn't know until several years ago that Ronnie has worked for Neil for thirty-five years (since 1980!) but I have often wondered what he did for work during the time after Elvis's death in 1977 and getting hired by Neil in '80? 

Here lately I've been seeing drummers who are big fans of Ronnie that have actually put together their own (what they refer to as) Ronnie Tutt Tribute drum kits based upon the blue sparkle drum set that Ronnie used with Elvis from 1970 - 1974 before Ronnie switched to the larger black Ludwig kit.  I'm disabled with Cerebral Palsy and Hydrocephalus and I'm not able to work a regular real job - but I do play music and I love using the drum sets that are on my two keyboards to play along with my Elvis Presley live concert and studio CDs!

I would absolutely LOVE IT if I knew how to do about getting the drum sizes/drums and cymbals and stands and be able to start setting up my own RT "Tribute" drum kit......but, I don't know where to start and I know absolutely nothing about tuning a drum set.  :-(

Another problem is that I don't have even the smallest of space as far as buildings go to be able to set up that type of double-bass drum setup unless I can get someone here close to me to do that for me....:-(

The above is NOT written to sound or read like a pity party posting- it's just facts.  I truly DO want to put together a Ronnie Tutt Tribute drum kit like I've seen a couple of other friends of mine (Brad Swiger & Udo Masshoff) do.

I just don't know where to really start!!

Anyone have any ideas for me?  The whole reason behind wanting a set is that I'm hoping that, by starting back playing drums, it would help me health-wise and help me stay limber since I am afflicted with Cerebral Palsy & Hydrocephalus.....

Any suggestions from anyone???

Thanks for letting me join this great forum!!

Thanks/God Bless,
Tony Trout

Tina Grey

Hey there!

I'm Valentina (15) and I joined yesterday, and I like it here, tho I still don't know anyone.
I'm new at drums and my kit includes only my sticks (if they're even a part of a kit XD) but it was love at first sight. Drumming is just amazing and I think you guys are probs the first people to whom I don't have to say 'you have no idea what does it feel when you're sitting there'. :)
Anyway, I live in a small poor country in Europe and I speak English, Spanish, Serbian, and I'm learning French.
Anyway, I'm a quick learner and I hope I will get to my current goal in 6 months. I also play violin and piano tho.

Bart Elliott

Hello Valentina ... and welcome! I'm pleased to know that you are enjoying drums and music.

Quote from: Tina Grey on August 07, 2015, 02:17 AM
Hey there!

I'm Valentina (15) and I joined yesterday, and I like it here, tho I still don't know anyone.
I'm new at drums and my kit includes only my sticks (if they're even a part of a kit XD) but it was love at first sight. Drumming is just amazing and I think you guys are probs the first people to whom I don't have to say 'you have no idea what does it feel when you're sitting there'. :)
Anyway, I live in a small poor country in Europe and I speak English, Spanish, Serbian, and I'm learning French.
Anyway, I'm a quick learner and I hope I will get to my current goal in 6 months. I also play violin and piano tho.

Carson Lowther

Hey guys, my name is Carson and I'm from Salinas CA, I play in a band called 808: Disturbing the Peace and have been playing for about 2 years. Our bass player went to the Berklee College of Music for a semester but he just recently moved back because "he wasn't being challenged enough" there so 808 is back together and we just recorded a 4 song demo and are getting back into the show scene as we speak! I played a PDP Double Drive 8 piece kit but I think I'm gonna go back to my Ludwig for ease of literally everything, Aquarian heads all around, Axis A21 Laser pedals, ProMark sticks, and I am endorsed by Soultone Cymbals. Looking forward to being a part of the community!

Dirk Johannes Swanepoel

Hi, My name is Dirk as you can see. I'm a South African in a small town drumming for (lost count) been teaching for about 5 Years. I like artistic solos and solid grooving. It will be nice if this is a legit forum with seasoned players to discuss different approaches to success.

Regards

Andrei Vitaly

Hi,

My name is Andrei Greg Vitaly and I've been a drummer for most of my life and wouldn't trade it for the world. I love feeling the beat and getting my hands on those sticks.

Right now I started playing in a new band and also started a new website to share my passion. If you want you can check it out at  http://www.drumsdude.com]http://www.drumsdude.com  and I would love to get some of your feedback on it.

You can contact me via pm on the forum or even using the contact form on the website.

Take care and happy drumming to you all.

Dreamwave8

Hi all. I'm new here and a percussive arts aficionado  :P as you all are as well. I found this forum by accident and glad to be here. I hope to gain more knowledge and others' insights into our exciting world. There's always more to learn.

drumandpace

Hey there,

I'm Yannick and I've started to play the drums at the age of 8 (makes it 19 years now). I'm very much looking forward to contributing and being part of this great community. Thanks to Bart and all others who've helped create all the amazing content here.

My passion besides drumming is writing and I've recently started to combine both on my drum gear review blog over at http://www.kickstartyourdrumming.com.

You're most welcome to drop by, give it a read, and contact me here or over there!

See you in the threads!

Cynthia Myra

Hi Everyone.

This side is http://davidksmusicschool.com/. I live in San Jose and I'm 18 years old. I have just started learning drums.

Hope to get help from here whenever I face any problem.

Enjoy!!!!!!

Alan Walsh

Hi All!

My name is Alan, I've been playing drums for around 13 years. Started off playing rock/metal, then lots of other styles, and I'm now venturing much more towards electronic and deep house music. That opens up a lot of cool opportunities for triggers, sampling, etc.

In fact, playing electronic percussion sample pads was my entry into electronic music production. So I'm now working on my own electronic solo project with a big live drum focus, which I'm going to be touring around Europe with this year!

I also have a site dedicated to electronic drumming called http://www.electronicdrumadvisor.com/ which has guides and articles in the electronic drumming space!

Alan

James Walker

Greetings, everyone,

Jim Walker here.  I've been away from the DC forum for a number of years, but I was a participant for some time before that - two or three of you may remember me from then, and I also see some familiar faces from elsewhere in the online realms.  I'm looking forward to catching up a bit, and seeing how things have evolved since I slipped out the side door way back when.  ;)

Bart Elliott

Quote from: James Walker on March 28, 2017, 08:52 AM
Jim Walker here.  I've been away from the DC forum for a number of years, but I was a participant for some time before that - two or three of you may remember me from then, and I also see some familiar faces from elsewhere in the online realms.  I'm looking forward to catching up a bit, and seeing how things have evolved since I slipped out the side door way back when.  ;)

Welcome back James!
I've associated all of your old forum posts to your new account.