• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Let's See or Hear You Play!

Started by Bart Elliott, January 01, 2008, 10:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mattjazz

Quote from: Chris Whitten on February 28, 2008, 04:18 PM
You only ever post solos, great and all that, but it's perhaps 5% of what drumming is about.

Well Chris, I'm not so sure that's entirely true. Respectfully, after all when my solo was over during part 3, I didn't just walk off and have the guitar player finish the piece. Now I'm not trying to be snitty, but again with respect, I'm wondering where a comment like that comes from. It's confusing sometimes. When I was posting speed stuff on a pad, it was all you ever do is that, why not show something on a set. So OK, you post set work, then it's all you ever do is solos, although stuff like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EKCFFeSipU

and this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kAqaR3hjhI

is on the same cover page of the youtube channel.

I also post DJ mixes:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=4dOi_4Gebnc

I've also put up vibes stuff on other video sharing sites. Maybe I can find some of that and post. I mean I'm cool with whatever.

I post solos mostly, because that's what's viewed on youtube 99% of the time, and over time, has constituted the lion's share of posts in this thread as well. Moreover, since I'm primarily known as a technician type, more people seem to want to know the various ways you handle your left hand, trad grip, hi-hat possibilities, etc. If I were Steve Gadd (which I'm not even close to being), or most appropriately here you, with a large body of work, then certainly you might see something else. Otherwise, why?

Seriously and with the cool level head, is my response a fair one? Please also know that I know who you are and admire what you have done for drumming. You are the drummer who's played with Paul McCartney right? Therefore I know your comments are sincere, as I hope you can take from mine as well. I'm pleased you stopped by to listen.

felix

Mattjazz, with all due respect, previously all you ever did here was post your gobbledy gook videos (my opinion, you probably would hate my solos if you heard them yourself- no big deal). 

You really don't help other people out here / aren't an active member here- that's ok in my opinion also.  But when you come back with a post like you just did- that's just ego man, whether you know it yet or not.  You come off to me as having a  big ego- in your playing and posting and then put in a line about humility?  I don't buy it.  That's ok though 'cause that's where you are at right now.  Really, it's ok and who you are as a player, that is actually cool.

So if Chrisso ain't digging your stuff, so be it.  This place is about opinions.   He does not have to post anything about his playing either- the man knows what drumming is about and has probably played drums for about 2 of your lifetimes.

Good luck.

mattjazz

Felix, I'm sorry you feel that way. You make a good point. You're right, I don't post enough here, making impressions look any number of ways. That's my problem to correct and no one else's.

Have a good day.

NY Frank

Hmm, I typically don't read this thread nor listen to the clips.
Somehow, this time around, the drama caught my eye :)  so I had to
read back a few posts and then check out some clips.

Interesting.       :)

Mister Acrolite

Matt, I think the biggest problem is that one never gets the sense that you feel you have anything to LEARN from being here. You've lectured us on speed, drum corps, what jazz is and who stole it from whom, and have shown us umpteen videos of you soloing. But I don't remember you asking any questions, or starting any discussions that indicated a thirst for knowledge. Instead, I only see your eagerness to show us what you've got.

You're still in your teens, right? You have here at the Cafe a whole bunch of people who have been playing drums professionally longer than you've been alive. In cases like mine, MUCH longer than you've been alive.

You're a talented drummer. You've got good hands, okay feet, and some knowledge. Guess what? There's more to drums. LOTS more. And a ton of it is accessible to you right here, if you ever stop to listen. Or ask questions. Or maybe just read some posts and absorb some knowledge.

Believe me, I respect talent, and do NOT think that only older drummers know what's going on. Tony Williams played some of his greatest stuff in his teens - stuff most of us (myself included) STILL can't touch.

That was Tony. You're not Tony. Not even close. Neither am I, all these years later. But my point is, I'll cut some slack to a teenager with Tony's skills. A guy like that can get in my face. But you can't - you haven't earned the right, and your playing is not enough to earn that right. And I suspect I'm not alone in feeling that way.

You've clearly spent some time studying the great drummers. Here's a tip: study not only their playing, but their behavior. I've never heard Steve Gadd or Vinnie Colaiuta say  ANYTHING cocky or disrespectful. EVER. And those are guys that certainly could back it up with their playing. In fact, other than a VERY few artists, I think you'll see that sort of thing just isn't done. Why? Guys that good don't NEED to be cocky - their playing speaks for itself.

You play well. For a teenager, you play VERY well. But you're not in a league of your own, so stop acting like you are, and you'll get along with people a LOT better.

My two cents. I wish you well. It's clear that you're passionate, and I respect that. But you need to emulate the grace of the pros, not just their playing. Buddy Rich might have been arrogant, but he was Buddy Freaking Rich. You're not. Nor am I.

That's why every time I log in at the Cafe, I do so looking forward to what I might LEARN. Not just what I might teach somebody else.

Give that attitude a try, and you might have a better time here.

Mr. A.

Louis Russell

Quote from: Mister Acrolite on March 05, 2008, 08:31 PMThat's why every time I log in at the Cafe, I do so looking forward to what I might LEARN. Not just what I might teach somebody else.

I have been playing since 1964.  Like Keith, I look forward to spending time at the Drummer Cafe.  The main reasons I hang out at the Cafe is to enjoy myself.  I enjoy learning about our craft and there are few times I fail to learn something when I spend time with my friends at the Drummer Cafe.  I also enjoy sharing what little knowledge I have gathered in my life with musicians who are hungry for knowledge. 

Matt Self (Gaddabout)

First, I like Matt. I like his playing, I like that he's smart, and articulate, and is in fact interested in what others have to say. When I think of young players I meet online the last 10 years who will have a good chance of gracing the cover of Modern Drummer som day, Matt's one of those guys. Not that that's his agenda, I'm just saying.

That said, Matt, I have to agree with Keith here based on the totality of your interaction on this board. Maybe you agree with me or maybe you don't, but I think you've matured quite a bit the past 3 years and it's probably not fair to judge you based on something you posted, say, 2 years ago. But this board has been around awhile and reputations tend to die hard. Your initial reception here was ... not smoothly received. You had some strong comments to make in defense of WFD. Admittedly, many of us just won't have it no matter what the context, and I still think you are an exception to the WFD rule -- you have good musical chops, not just great single strokes (or whatever). But the point is you crashed here with an opinion that was not very popular, and you left with a small chip on your shoulder about it. You really needed to engage people here more before coming back with your clips. That's just board dynamics. You haven't given people much of a chance to get to know you outside of your clips, and relationship is tantamount to trust. I know there's more to you than all of this, but no one but me around here has had much of a chance to see it.

FWIW, I've exchanged some e-mails with Matt and some posts on another board, and I think he's a really good guy. He's worth interacting with and giving him a chance to see if your perceptions are worth holding on to. If I lived anywhere near him, we'd probably be good friends.

Chris, dude, I know you've got a good point to make, but this thread sort of begs solos and showy doesn't it? The spirit of the comment struck me as having a little bitter edge to it, and not constructive like you usually are. Also, almost all of Matt's performances so far have been in the jazz and big band category, very normal for someone on a high academic track in this country. Maybe when he gets out of college and starts playing for pay we'll get to see what he can do with 2&4. In the meantime, I won't hold it against him for showing us his highlights from a big show like this.

Riddim

From what I read of Chris's comments, which make perfect sense to me, it would be nice to see more of how you play the band, how you shape an arangement and enable a band to play better than it would without you.

Anybody can, with a little work, blaze.  Using this instrument to make the music better is another thing.

NY Frank

... and the password for today is ...

Music.

Supported by the passwords:

- Heart
- Art
- Soul
and
- Rhythm

Thank you for playing.

Hugo Gouveia

I have to admit I thought mattjazz was considerably older  :-X

Considering he's considered to be not older than me, he seems well "directioned", technique-wise.

How large is the big band piece in question? If very long, that's a reason for highlighting a solo (or in this case two lol). I personally enjoyed the second solo, it was fun.
But I love jazz drums at any part of the song, and I think that a regular part of the song would also be great for showing his skills. The feel!

Mattjazz might be learning a lot from the forum! I read several times more than what I choose to write/type/post about. I hope he is, I hope we all are.

all above said by a person who plays a tiny fraction of what all the other posters play. ;D

Mark Counts

Thought I would post some Studio work I have been doing with a Song writer named Molly Greer.
http://www.myspace.com/mollymgreer.
                   Nutty

DR

Quote from: Gaddabout on March 06, 2008, 03:52 AM
First, I like Matt. I like his playing, I like that he's smart, and articulate, and is in fact interested in what others have to say. When I think of young players I meet online the last 10 years who will have a good chance of gracing the cover of Modern Drummer som day, Matt's one of those guys. Not that that's his agenda, I'm just saying.
While I have not read much from Matt on drummercafe, I have read a lot of Matt's posts on other web sites and FWIW, I agree 100% with the above observations.  In the threads I have read elsewhere Matt was gracious beyond his years.  Just my experience.  Regardless of what odd threads I find interesting outside drummercafe, I always come back.  Drummercafe is my absolute favorite on-line drum forum.  I hope Matt finds his comfort zone here and settles into this great community.

yonatan

Great clips in this thread!

It is a privilege to be able to see and hear them.

I hope you enjoy these 2 of me on percussion. I may have posted the second one once about a year ago, am not sure. The first is of a brother and I jamming, filmed by another brother. The second is of me soloing.

Hope you enjoy!

Here are the links:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=SE2wGlu2Yac

http://youtube.com/watch?v=xxJNq0JqZSs

swatteam3

Hey everyone im new here and decided to post up a link to a youtube video of Marty's Goldenaires drum and bugle corps performing wipe out. I would be the 3rd snare drummer.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=wsXo0F4mTGc

Nick

Sorry I haven't been here for a while, 'I am but a worm' etc...  :-[

I have finally got an mp3 from our new album for you all, I think my drumming is a bit more musical than on the last one, that's mainly because I have ran out of talent & don't practice as much as I used to, so I can't play as much of the self indulgent rubbish nowadays..

http://www.isor.net/media/ISOR-Dykes-Make-My-Sperm-Strike.mp3]MP3 File

I am finding it hard to get really 'into' drums at the moment, but I am looking forward to the touring on this album & I am hoping it will re-kindle the drumming flame & you will see me here a bit more often..

Cheers

N

Patrick Quigley

soooo this is my band doctor!doctor!  I talk about them a lot but haven't ever posted any vid here. so here is some.  We are a Midwest Indie/Metal/Punk band. lemme know what you think!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqrgQofXwyw

Cheers!

Patrick Quigley

Hey nick,
I dig the music. Where are you touring?

Nick

Quote from: riot2003 on May 02, 2008, 01:49 PM
Hey nick,
I dig the music. Where are you touring?
Hi Riot,

Thanks!

They are planning it over the next month or so, but I have been told that they will hopefully include US & Australian dates as well as the UK & European shows.

I am guessing it's dependent on pre-sales, but that the moment they are going quite well so who knows... I would really like to do the US & OZ dates even if it's only 5-7 shows each, I have never been to ether country & have always wanted to...

I have just been watching your video, cool stuff! Just the kind of thing I am into, have you guys got any CD's for sale?

Cheers

:)

N

Patrick Quigley

We have a 4 song EP for sale, but I can shoot one to a fellow DC-er for free. Whats your mailing addy?  Thanks for checking out the video.  Any idea where in the US yet?