• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Re-affirmation why not to drink alcohol and play a gig

Started by sjm1112, March 03, 2007, 01:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

felix

I drank like three or 4 jello shots last weekend during the job.  They were free.  I party when I play cause that's what the groupies want and a few drinks is ok in my book.

Sorry, but I'm not going to push booze being in a bar band and not embibe myself.

I can't drink beer tho' unless it's a hot one anymore.  There is nothing worse than that "gotta go" feeling.  I usually drink water and someone buys me booze, shots usually.  I never buy my own booze, but I do buy drinks for other people (good politics).

Once in awhile I get totally smashed and regret it (or sometimes not) and sometimes I play stone cold sober (usually regret doing this  ;D).  We have a following and they sometimes drag me into the partying scene.  I'm a rock n roll drummer for 30 years; I like to party man, C'mon!

I'm not worried about the playback cause sometimes mistakes can sound really cool and as for live work- well If one is with a band long enough; hell, the mistakes are funniest parts of the job.  C'mon!  LOL!  I mean if you are worried about making a mistake how the heck can you play anything? 

RhythmStop

Sometimes I drink, sometimes I don't.  Right now though, I am.

David Newman

I had an every fri and sat jazz trio thing going for awhile at a club with really young party-animal owners. Every night they would ritualistically call us into the back for a round of those vodka-redbull nightmares, and I think the slowest ballad we ever played still clocked in at about quarter = 120  ;D

I no longer drink really but as long as the people I'm playing with aren't losing control of their ability to be musical I like to see everyone have a good time - regardless of how they achieve it.

Nick

Our Manager videoing ALL our gig's & insisting we watch every minute stopped me drinking before I play... ever... (Even rehearsals)

Talk about fooling myself with booze... I haven't had a drink & picked up a stick in 5 years or more...

Mind you I have a hard time keeping my playing together at the best of times  :-[

:)

N

MOUSE

Quite partial to beer but when i'm on the job, i'm on the job.

1/ boozing on stage is amatuer, dosn't give a good impression to youngsters (along with smoking)
2/ too much drink makes my drumming suck ...really bad

3/ I have always carted my own gear, drinking driving especially combined with tiredness (common with gigging) is a recipe for death or jail.

4/ best way to avoid dirty gig toilets, is don't drink too much liquid  ;D

I drink around a jug of water with lemonade mixed in for flavour over a 4 hour gig. I get my buzz from setting up playing, and going home knowing iv'e given each gig my best shot.

NY Frank

Quote from: mouse on July 10, 2008, 05:34 PM
4/ best way to avoid dirty gig toilets, is don't drink too much liquid  ;D

You can say that again.

MOUSE

Best way to avoid dirty gig toilets is don't drink too much.

idtag

Usually limit myself to 1, max 2 regular beers while playing. BIG mistake last summer though. Playing in a parking lot, out in the sun, 101 degrees. Someone brought me a cold microbrew during the second set. Opened another one between sets and kinda forgot to factor in the dehydration/lack of dinner thing. Hit me about 15 minutes into the 3rd set and I had a hell of a time keeping it together. Never again.

At practice we do overindulge a little every once in a while. It does mess up my coordination a bit but the worst is the vocals. I have a hard time hitting the right starting note or I sing flat. I'm usually dead on but I just don't hear it with a decent buzz going.