• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Has modern metal killed old school or just made us appreciate it more?

Started by ShannonLarkin666, March 11, 2007, 04:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ShannonLarkin666

I find myself flipping through the channels late at night and I stopped to check out Headbangers Ball. The show in its own right is a current joke but I did watch a few videos and what not. I'm only 24 so I'm gonna sound like some grumpy bitter person stuck in the 80's but man o man the music was horrible. I believe it was Trivium and some other bands. I just couldnt watch after 4 videos. I am glad it happend because I pulled out some old school VH and Iron Maidan and just enjoying it like never before. Does everyone else think this new wave stuff is killing metal as it was know or is it just dividing metal music and causing us traditionalist metal heads to love metal music more?

sleepybrIghteyez

Headbangers Ball isn't what it used to be, that's for sure. There is good metal today. I've seen a couple good bands on that show but most of them don't appeal to me. I heard about Shadows Fall for example, who I like. They played some live Mastadon one night and I was hooked. Got all of their albums now.

Matt Self (Gaddabout)

Modern metal is interesting to me if only to watch the change in culture. I think a lot of non-metal bands -- RHCP and Rage come to mind -- have influenced a lot of the new players, and they try to incorporate that stuff into their mix. I also hear a lot of Nirvana and Stone Temple Pilots in the new stuff. It's strange and I don't think anyone's really captured a new sound, but they're trying hard.

ShannonLarkin666

I agree on Shadows Falls, they are a good modern day band to turn to. I've got all the respect and love for anyone who attempts metal music, and for that matter any form of rock music. I guess I'm just curious to what happend to just going out, kicking extreme monster ass and do it for the music. I've been fortunate enough to know some of these guys in modern day bands and it kinda crushes me to see the music get lost somehow.

Tony

I think its a lot like any other time period.  There's good and not so good.  Shadow's Fall and System of a Dwon come to mind as newer metal bands that are really good at what they do.  In fact, System of a Down is right at the top of my list right now; I have a mix of about 30 of their songs on my IPOD that stay in pretty heavy rotation for me. 

felix

I agree with Tony.  Like any genre, there is good and bad music- even coming from the same band.

Old school metal is alive and well in my opinion.  The classics will remain so.  New sounds will emerge.  New classics will emerge.

The headbangers ball I don't watch so much.  Even though I can appreciates some of the things they do. 

Usually I rip off their grooves and use them as fills  ;D

Mark Schlipper

Count me as a "its just different" vote.   The first album I ever bought myself was Iron Maiden's Piece of Mind.  And as a kid I loved that stuff.   To some extent, I still do.  But it wasn't long until I got into Napalm Death, Bolt Thrower, and other more "extreme" bands.   They're metal, just a different breed.  And more recently there are bands like Zao, Into the Moat, etc that are a different breed of metal yet again, and I like them too.   And even more recent has been the rise of bands like Pelican who take metal into yet another direction. 

Its all just evolution. 

Brett Tanner

I haven't seen headbangers ball in years but I can imagine what its like judging from the radio.  I'm sure there's a few bands I'd like and the rest....not so much.  Mastodon and High on Fire definitley get some spins from me from time to time.  I think there's a lot of good heavy music out there but you won't see much on TV or hear much on the radio.

Check out hellridemusic.com and stonerrock.com.

sleepybrIghteyez

System Of A Down is real nice. I have most of their stuff, but their first two albums are my favorite. Mastodon is my current favorite (check out Leviathan). Down is recording a new album right now (another one of my favorites). Love Superjoint Ritual and Clutch as well. I was introduced to Pelican recently. They are more rock, but it's kind of borderline at times. My friend's band opened up for EHG a couple months ago. That was a cool show. From what I understand, they created the NO sludge metal.

1Xanadu1

I find most of the videos on head bangers ball quite horable. Its like the only requiremnt you need is to have cookie monster deth core extreme gurgling mass hemrige screaming. I would defenitly not turn to head bangers ball for good new metal bands. As for as trivum goes...there last album Acendency was a pretty decent ablum with a unique style. But now that they have turnd into a metallica copy cat, I can't stand them. Some new metal bands that I love listening to are:

Into Eternity...You must check them out!!! http://www.myspace.com/officialintoeternity They are a great progressive death metal band from Canada.

Children of Bodom...crazy sweedish band...I think there sweeden :/

Between The Barried and Me again a pretty good progressive death metal band

I do like Shadow Falls as mentiond before

Mudvayne of course

Norma Jean has a unique metal style

OH!! SYMPHONY X!! there great!

I also like some straight up hardocre metal bands like The Agony Scene

And all though The Bled arnt really metal they do have some of its influence

Those are just a few bands that I like that you may aswell...

ShannonLarkin666

Yea no way am I putting down guys in modern day metal. I just kinda miss that flare and like go out and kick ass attitude. I think thats what metal is missing most now a days. Maby because it's becoming more mainstream but metal used to have that us vs. the world attitude. Rock music in general really that applies to.

Matt Self (Gaddabout)

Quote from: ShannonLarkin666 on March 13, 2007, 11:08 AM
Yea no way am I putting down guys in modern day metal. I just kinda miss that flare and like go out and kick ass attitude. I think thats what metal is missing most now a days. Maby because it's becoming more mainstream but metal used to have that us vs. the world attitude. Rock music in general really that applies to.

To quote my aunts and uncles from the 70s, the only way to be a non-conformist these days is to be a conformist.

Walter Beyer

X2 on the Norma Jean & Shadows Fall.. System are also a crazy live act, I have seen all of these.

My style & my band is more of a groove inspired Down style of gritty metal.

With that said, I'm super into the "core" bands. Suicide Silence, Chelsea Grin, Acacia Strain, upon a burning body, The Red Chord,  just to name a few.

Of course, I feel Lamb of God have redefined pure Metal, it's intricate, edgy and explosive.