• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

"Lucky Seven" by Dave Holland Quintet

Started by space_is_the_place, May 14, 2007, 03:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

space_is_the_place

OK,

1. awesome song

and

2. im pretty sure its in 13/4, but i am not very good at detecting time signatures. could it be 13/8? nah im pretty sure its 13/4...

and

3.Anyone the time signatures for some of the other songs on the CD... very hard

and

4. their drummer is great. very funky stuff, and it sounds so natural...

Bart Elliott

Uhmmm ... the tune is called "Lucky Seven" ... which stands to reason that it's probably in 7/4 ... which it is. You can hear it as 4/4 + 3/4 throughout.

Bart Elliott

Here are the tracks with the time signatures:

1. The Eyes Have It - mixed meter
2. Easy Did It - 4/4 (slow; half-time feel)
3. Vicissitudes - 7/4 in the head (4+3)
4. The Leak - 6/4
5. Secret Garden - 5/4 (slow)
6. Lucky Seven - 7/4
7. Full Circle - 4/4
8. Amator Silenti - ? (too slow to know)

There are many ways to notate these tunes, and being that they are very syncopated compositions, the time signatures may not be exactly what was used but is definitely how you could notate it.

Also, I just went to Amazon to listen to the first minute of each tune, so my assessment may be incorrect at some point since I haven't heard the entire tune, which may change at some point. Hopefully this will be enough for you to further analyze what's going on.

David Newman

Holland always puts together great albums. Conference of the Birds is still one of my favorite all-time records.

space_is_the_place

aggg really?

Quote from: space_is_the_place on May 14, 2007, 03:09 PM

2. im pretty sure its in 13/4, but i am not very good at detecting time signatures. could it be 13/8? nah im pretty sure its 13/4...

well thats just me again.

im not very used to irregular times signatures cuz being in 7th grade we dont get alot of this stuff....

thanks so much for the time signatures for the rest of the album though! I'm taking a look at them right now. Major thanks.