• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

"Bermuda" and Weird Al

Started by Louis Russell, July 14, 2007, 10:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Louis Russell

Last night in Tulsa the  http://www.bradytheater.com]Historic Brady Theater  hosted what I consider some of the best entertainment of the decade.  The show consisted of a tasteful mix of video, great music, experienced performers, unusual lyrics, and audience interaction.  I was awed with the seamless transition between the many varied music styles.  I lost count of the styles presented in a 20-minute medley.  Over two hours of nonstop enjoyment was accented by numerous costume changes, professional technical production and fun times.

During the first two or three songs, I was amazed by the sound of  http://www.bermudaschwartz.com]Jon "Bermuda" Schwartzs  drum kit, particularly the toms.  I probably missed a lot because I was so focused on his playing and drum sound.  Only an experienced drummer can appreciate the expertise involved in the role Bermuda plays in making this an experience-of-a-life time for so many people.  To say Jon is an accomplished and tasteful musician would be an understatement and a discredit to his skill and dedication to the craft. 

Early in the show, one of the three video projectors failed.  This mechanical malfunction did not affect the onstage performance in the least and the technical crew rectified the situation without bringing attention to their work. 

I strongly encourage everyone to attend the Weird Al show and relearn what if feels like to be entertained by true professionals rather than just attend a concert.

Todd Norris

Nice observations Louis.  I've been wanting to see Weird Al and Bermuda for some time.  Hopefully I can soon.

Louis Russell

Quote from: Drum4JC on July 14, 2007, 08:14 PM
Nice observations Louis.  I've been wanting to see Weird Al and Bermuda for some time.  Hopefully I can soon.

Well, here you go  http://weirdal.com/touring.htm]Weird Al Tour Schedule   Bermuda will be in Phoenix October 16th and I am sure he is bringing Weird Al and the entire show with him.   ;D

Chris Whitten

Quote from: Louis on July 14, 2007, 08:39 PM
Bermuda will be in Phoenix October 16th and I am sure he is bringing Weird Al and the entire show with him. 

If not, it would still be worth seeing.  ;)

Louis Russell

Todd Norris

Quote from: Louis on July 14, 2007, 08:39 PM
Well, here you go  http://weirdal.com/touring.htm]Weird Al Tour Schedule   Bermuda will be in Phoenix October 16th and I am sure he is bringing Weird Al and the entire show with him.   ;D

That's right, I knew that!  He will be at the state fair.  I'll be there.  I'll see if Gaddy and Beach Boy and I can make a trio of it.  That looks like the end of the tour too.  Perfect time to be in Arizona.  I know Bermuda lived here back in the day.  I wonder if he still has family here.  If so, maybe he'll hang around town for a few days...  ( Brain starts ticking...   ;D  )

Bermuda Schwartz

Wow, such kind words Louis, thank you! It was a pleasure to meet you and glad you liked the show!

Re Phoenix, I always look forward to playing/visiting there. I grew up on the west side from 60-68, which I view as a very magic time for the city. Wallace & Ladmo were kings, the population was smallish, and the city wasn't yet sprawling. I lived near 43rd Ave & Bethany, and across 43rd (in Glendale) it was literally just fields. Homes were first built there maybe in 61 or 62. But I do still adore the city and had a house near Thunderbird & Central (Canterbury) from 88-92.

Bermuda

Louis Russell

Quote from: bermuda on July 15, 2007, 12:50 AM
Wow, such kind words Louis, thank you! It was a pleasure to meet you and glad you liked the show!

You are more than welcome!  It was the best show I have attended in over 10 years.  It was a pleasure to shake your hand and talk in person. 

Things at work did not go well yesterday or I would have made it to Garland, TX.  Several of my friends who were in Tulsa told other friends about the great show yesterday and 10 of them made the trip to Garland and were equally impressed. 

Todd Norris

Re Phoenix, I always look forward to playing/visiting there. I grew up on the west side from 60-68, which I view as a very magic time for the city. Wallace & Ladmo were kings, the population was smallish, and the city wasn't yet sprawling. I lived near 43rd Ave & Bethany, and across 43rd (in Glendale) it was literally just fields. Homes were first built there maybe in 61 or 62. But I do still adore the city and had a house near Thunderbird & Central (Canterbury) from 88-92.

Bermuda

Wow, I grew up near 35th Ave and Northern from 76-90.  Yeah, definitely the glory days.  I caught the end of that, up to say the early 80's. 

So, will you be hanging around Phoenix after that or heading out right away?  I'm thinking that if you're around, maybe Gaddy, Beach Boy and I (and Louis if he comes out) can meet for lunch or something?  (Never hurts to ask!)   ::)

Snowdogyyz

Excellent.... a show in Raleigh, NC!   I may have to come and check out Bermuda the drummer. I've met Bermuda the person at NAMM and he is a really cool cat.... a lot fo fun to talk to (and a cymbal expert I might add).

Louis Russell

Quote from: Snowdogyyz on July 18, 2007, 02:01 PM
 I may have to come and check out Bermuda the drummer.

You will not be disappointed!  Bermuda is an excellent musician in all respects. 

Matt Self (Gaddabout)

Quote from: Drum4JC on July 14, 2007, 10:54 PM
That's right, I knew that!  He will be at the state fair.  I'll be there.  I'll see if Gaddy and Beach Boy and I can make a trio of it.  That looks like the end of the tour too.  Perfect time to be in Arizona.  I know Bermuda lived here back in the day.  I wonder if he still has family here.  If so, maybe he'll hang around town for a few days...  ( Brain starts ticking...   ;D  )

I will be there. Actually, my friend and I are working on something huge that could include Bermuda earlier in the day. We shall see!

Matt Self (Gaddabout)

Hey, my mom grew up near 43rd Ave and Indian School. Graduated from Maryvale High in ... 65? I lived there off and on through the 70s. Who knows, B? Maybe I bumped into you at one of the many Circle Ks.

Oh, did you ever go to the Lotta Burger just south of Indian School on 43rd? That place was the bomb ...

Haven't heard from PJ in awhile so don't know where he stands ...

Michael Beechey

QuoteI strongly encourage everyone to attend the Weird Al show and relearn what if feels like to be entertained by true professionals rather than just attend a concert.

I'm curious..????..he mentions in his interviews all the incredible equipment he has in his repertoire to get all those authentic sounds....what does he do when he plays live??!!

Louis Russell

I can't speak for Bermuda but I would imagine he brings what he needs for that particular gig.

drumwild

We just got in from the Bermuda Show, featuring Weird Al.

What a great show it was!

There was a woman who did sign language for the entire show, and a guy who holds instruments. He held a harmonica while Al played it, and held some bongo type drum that I couldn't see very well while Bermuda played it.

I was blown away by the whole thing. The sound was not too loud, yet huge.

Louis Russell

Quote from: drumwild on July 22, 2007, 04:23 AMWhat a great show it was

If it was only half as good as the Tulsa show it would still be fabulous.  What did you think of the sound of the toms the first couple of songs.  I am working on my schedule and hope to make the Phoenix show. 

drumwild

Quote from: Louis on July 22, 2007, 09:56 AM
What did you think of the sound of the toms the first couple of songs?

I got there about 30 minutes into it, unfortunately, thanks to the 90+ minutes it took to get into the lot and find a parking space. I thought we had plenty of time!

We got there right about at the end of the "Pentium" song.

The drum sounds were nice.

I'd like to get a close look at Bermuda's touring kit. Six pix from six different angles would be nice.

Bermuda Schwartz

Quote from: drumwild on July 22, 2007, 11:01 AMI'd like to get a close look at Bermuda's touring kit. Six pix from six different angles would be nice.

Here are 2 of the 800+ pics that Nick Amoroso shot last Friday (thanks, Nick!) He'll be posting a pictorial at Drumsmith one of these days.

Bermuda Schwartz

Quote from: Michael Beechey on July 19, 2007, 10:27 PM
I'm curious..????..he mentions in his interviews all the incredible equipment he has in his repertoire to get all those authentic sounds....what does he do when he plays live??!!

Obviously I have a luxury in the studio that I don't have on the road, and the difference is: the album tracks are held to a different standard because they're permanent and subject to repeat listening and scrutiny. In concert, there has to be a certain amount of leeway for me for practical reasons - it's just not possible to swap out snares, cymbals, and change tuning for each song. I suppose I could trigger samples of sounds from each song, but there are limitations to the technology, and despite great strides in sound and playability, and my love for what electronics can do, it just won't work for what I do with Al.

Anyway, to answer the question, on stage my gear and tunings would probably be considered very normal - definitely nothing extreme. Drums are maple, snare is a black beauty tuned med-high, and the cymbals are Sabian AA Metal-X, which are essentially AA's (just louder and more durable.) And while a single, 'average' sound isn't perfect for every song, it does allow every song to work well. If I had a really poppy snare for example, it might be absolutely great for 2 songs, and absolutely horrible for everything else.

And not to rationalize the use of an acoustic kit where samples might better serve the authenticity of the songs... but there's a certain realism in having the drums be consistent from song to song, while everyone else changes their sound to match the recordings. It's part of what makes the live show exciting to see and hear, and nobody can ever accuse us of lip-synching (or the equivalent with sticks & picks.)

Bermuda

Dave Heim

I caught the Weird Al show in Waukegan, IL last night.  What a great show - very entertaining.  The mix was great - not too loud, just enough to fill up the space.  And the vocals were nice and clear.

Bermuda's Ludwig set sounded great - the bass drum really gets your attention!

We had a great time!  If you have a chance to check out an upcoming show, do yourself a favor and get out to see it!  You will not be disappointed!  The tour schedule is here: http://www.weirdal.com.

PS - Bermuda, Lisa wants to know how Al gets all his hair up into those wigs!  :)

Chip Donaho

I'm hoping to see them at the Minnesota State Fair on Aug.27th. That would be great....

Louis Russell

Quote from: Dave From Chicago on August 20, 2007, 09:41 AM
Bermuda's Ludwig set sounded great - the bass drum really gets your attention!

We had a great time! 

I was more impressed by the tom sound!  Oh yeah, I told you it was a great show.

Chip Donaho

I just got my tickets. They were sold out, so I got 3 tickets in the "mobility impaired" section. Since I'm stuck using a cain, I figured I would try that method and it worked. So I'm taking my daughter and son-in-law with me. He's a soundman and a huge fan of Weird Al. So he's just as excited as I am to see them play.   8)

JeepnDrummer

Yep, I just bought three tickets today, too.  I can't wait.  I saw them three years ago and it was one of the most enjoyable concerts I ever attended.

Louis Russell

Quote from: JeepnDrummer on August 22, 2007, 09:06 PMit was one of the most enjoyable concerts I ever attended.

The musicianship is excellent!  It is more than a concert; it is true entertainment and the best entertainment I have experienced in many years. 

Mark Counts

Great looking kit of Ludwig's Bermuda. I love them in White or Cream. I need to check your touring schedule to see how close you get to Louisville?  Drumwild is showing up as a guest for some reason. I thought he was a VIP? You guys have fun out in Phoenix. I have never seen you all live other than TV.  I am sure it is a great show.
                              Nutty

Chip Donaho

Quote from: Louis on August 23, 2007, 07:52 AM
The musicianship is excellent!  It is more than a concert; it is true entertainment and the best entertainment I have experienced in many years. 
I seen the show and met both Bermuda and Weird Al last night. It was a class act all the way to the end and after the show. Louis, right on the money.    ;)   I would definately go see them again.    8)

Sean Welch

I can never resist - I always have to go in to "Weird Al" threads and mention that the couple of times I've seen them, they've been, literally, the tightest band I've ever seen :o

Bart Elliott

Checkout Bermuda's new page here at the Drummer Cafe!

http://www.drummercafe.com/content/view/143/77/]http://www.drummercafe.com/content/view/143/77/

It's still under construction as I plan to add more photos, video, etc., as it comes available (via Bermuda).

JeepnDrummer

Well, the show this past Friday night was nothing short of outstanding!  Just as Louis mentioned, Bermuda's Ludwig kit sounded fantastic.  It looked very nice, too.  Of course, running through a PA isn't exactly the best way to evaluate the sound of an acoustic kit.  But I saw them in concert before when Bermuda was using his Impact kit.  This time the Ludwig kick was BIG and powerful and the toms were pure heaven.  Really, I don't recall ever hearing toms that sounded so nice.

Another thing I noticed right away was Bermuda's snare.  It gave me tingles every time he laid into it.  I found out later he played a Black Beauty with an S-hoop on top.  Now I'm rethinking my plans to buy a 402 snare.

The band played a few songs that just oozed with groove.....very funky.  I didn't know the songs, but I could have listened to them play all night long.  Even my buddy said they were so tight that it sounded like studio quality.

As usual, Bermuda was a great host.  My only regret was that I didn't get any close-up shots of his kit.  I'll just have to settle on Nick's photos.  :)  Maybe later I'll post up a picture or two.  I can't wait to see them again.

Bart Elliott

Check out  http://www.drummercafe.com/content/view/143/77/]Bermuda's feature page  here at the Drummer Cafe for the latest photos. Jon was kind enough to make these recent photos available, and quite a few are exclusive ... so you won't see them anywhere else!

JeepnDrummer

Great pictures!  Thanks Bart.

By the way, I forgot to mention that Bermuda did an incredible drum solo at the concert.  ;)