• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Rogers Drum Price Estimate

Started by 1Xanadu1, September 06, 2007, 10:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1Xanadu1

My dad has an old Rodgers kit that we are thinking about selling. We want to know how much we could get for it before we try to sell it though, so Id thought maybe you guys could help me out?  ;D It's an old kit from 1976 he said he thinks it's the first year they put memory locks on them. It's a 7 piece kit with a 10 12 13 14 16 tom and 22 bass. The snare drum is a Dyna-sonic snare drum. I believe he still has the original hardware as well. As far as finishes go it looks this:

I don't have an actual picture of the set because my family has STILL not decided to invest in a digital camera. Well any opinions would be much appreciated, thank ya.   

Mister Acrolite

Rogers drums have some pretty major collector value. Check a lot of Ebay auctions to get an idea about price ranges, and also look for forums that discuss vintage drums.

Drum Slave Jack

Also, I wouldn't recommend selling (over the internet) without pictures, I don't think i've ever bought gear that I haven't at least seen.
Do a bit of market research and you'll be in.
Good Luck
Jack

1Xanadu1

Yeah if we do decide to sell over the internet, I will prob barrow a camera.

George

I agree that you should search a lot on eBay and other places to set the price.

But let's lay a bet. I know only what you say about this kit, and I see only the picture above, I don't know the wood, etc., still I'll guess the value. My estimation is $800. (7 piece with original hardware.)
Please look round carefully, and tell me if I'm near, or I've just made a fool of myself.  :)

rca

Value all depends on condition.

The snare is worth alot, maybe more than the kit without a snare. Its a high-demand item.

I take it back. I just checked current prices and they are selling at one website for $550 retail. I was thinking it would be more. My guess (and its an uneducated guess) would be that the complete kit in excellent condition may be worth over $1200. If the finish is original and rare, it could be worth much more to a collector. You have to understand that a dealer is not going to pay you retail price for the kit.

Chip Donaho

Nice looking set. Is the set maple? Is the snare as good as the rest of the set? Detailed pictures and more information would help. But as far as I can tell the $800-$1,200 range would be a fair guess.    :-\    I seen a similar set at our local dealer and he wanted $1,500 for the set. Of course he is a dealer, so money talks. I'm sure you could walk out the door for less. I have no idea about the snare, stands, or anything included with the kit. I know that your set looks to be in decent condition.   8)

1Xanadu1

Yeah, every thing is in really good condition.  Doing some searches on ebay they seem to be selling from 700 to around 900. Were still on the iffy side around selling it but at least we have some sort of a ball park now. 

Dave Heim

I haven't seen anything in the thread so far that indicates whether the snare is wood or chrome.  But, just in case. . .  wood shell Dynasonic snares are more sought after and tend to bring more than chrome Dynasonics if sold separately.

George

We don't yet know if the shells are maple - that would increase the price a lot for sure.
And we don't know nothing about the hardware, which might be quite outworn during all these years. And we can't tell how the bass drum and toms are drilled with the mounts. But really yes, a fine vintage Rogers may be worth far above $1000, but as I've seen, some of them are sold for only 5-600 on eBay. So I keep my bet of $800, just fun.  A one-dollar chocolate will go to the winner, OK?

1Xanadu1

The Dyana-Sonic snare is a chrome. My dad says he can't remember what kind of wood the shells are made out of. Any pointers on how to figure this out?

Mister Acrolite

If the drums were made when Memri-lock hardware came out, Rogers historians will know what kind of wood it is. Hit some vintage drum sites and forums, and you'll get the info you need. Rogers are pretty well documented.

I think this forum has some Rogers buffs: http://www.drumsmith.com/

Louis Russell

I gave up flying for the Army in 1976 to go on the road and that is the year Rogers introduced the Dynasonis and Memrilock hardware were introduced.  I bought a new set of Rogers in 1979 and they were maple.  Wood choices were not readily available then and few drummers cared.  It was "find a set you like and buy it" age. 

NY Frank

I'm late to the thread.

Just saw the picture.

If it looks anything like your kit, all I can say is:    Wow.

eamesuser

I took a look at the rogers book by rob cook,it says the shells from that era were 5 ply maple /poplar/maple/poplar/maple same lay up as 1963 on till about 1979 when the x p 8 eight ply maple were introduced.If the finish is the same as the pic you posted it was a covering called butcher block,not a really sought after finish at this time.Not as valuable as the 60s era kits but really great quality kits none the less.If they are in really good shape with hardware I think they would go quickly at 800 to 950, but I don't think 11 to 12 hundred would be out of the question especially if the dyna has the snare frame,add more if the dyna is a 6.5 depth and or has the original or stock snare wires

Louis Russell

Quote from: eamesuser on September 11, 2007, 09:54 PM
I took a look at the rogers book by rob cook,it says the shells from that era were 5 ply maple /poplar/maple/poplar/maple same lay up as 1963 on till about 1979 when the x p 8 eight ply maple were introduced.

Thanks for confirming my memory.  I knew my 1979s were maple, at least that is what I remembered. 

Rusty Beckett

There is a fairly new site called Rogers Owners Forum at http://com2.runboard.com/brogersownersforum.  There are some very knowledgable folks on Rogers drums there that could probably answer any questions anyone might have about Vintage Rogers Drums.

It is fairly new because the original one became over run with SPAM.  Come check it out, there is quite a bit of "eye candy" for people who like a fine line of vintage drums.