• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

2008 Good Health and Weight Loss Dialog

Started by NY Frank, December 23, 2007, 12:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NY Frank

Ok, I thought I'd start this thread to move some of the weigh loss dialog in the 2008 Resolutions thread to here.

JJ

Frank,
     I lost about 120 pounds a few years ago and have kept it off.  I did add some numbers to the scale when I began weight lifting but actually went down in size. 
     It was a very easy concept but very difficult to break some habits.  Nothing fad!  Just old fashioned changes and a new mindset on life.  You guys can do it if I could. 
     Running NYC was a gift to myself for doing so good.
Jennifer

Chip Donaho

One year ago Christmas Eve I ended up in the hospital. It only took 3 months to walk out of the hospital door again. I've played drums about 4 hours total since that accident. Also gained 20 lbs. from lack of excerise. I know first hand what it's going to take to loose those pounds. Thank God it's not a hundred pounds. I'm giving myself 3 months to get back to my normal 132 weight. Then I can meet Louis next summer and not feel bad about it.  ;D

Louis Russell

Quote from: Chip71 on December 25, 2007, 09:26 PM
One year ago Christmas Eve I ended up in the hospital. It only took 3 months to walk out of the hospital door again. I've played drums about 4 hours total since that accident. Also gained 20 lbs. from lack of excerise. I know first hand what it's going to take to loose those pounds. Thank God it's not a hundred pounds. I'm giving myself 3 months to get back to my normal 132 weight. Then I can meet Louis next summer and not feel bad about it.  ;D

In 1997 I was in a car accident and was in the hospital for a little over 8 months and could not walk for over a year.  I gained 62 pounds and this is the year I finally get rid of some of the weight. 

Paicey

You (we) have to look at this problem head on. Theses no magic bullet, at least for me. Its a lifestyle change. I either step to the plate or sit on the bench again this summer. What i put in my mouth MATTERS. I look at problem areas, my love of fried foods, french fries, late night eating, pop, etc. It all changes or i make the same resolution next year 10 to 15 pounds heavier. I got my way for a reason, theres no denying it and now i grab the freakin bull by the horns or love my new bigger wardrobe.

I dont just look at my weight as a weight matter only....by taking it off i obtain better cholesteral levels, i look better, my heart says thanks, i feel younger again, my stamina improves etc etc etc. It AINT gonna be easy but once your past the first week or two it starts to go downhill. Your stomach shrinks, your cravings subside and you start to think about food differently. Im doin! it >:(.

Michael Beechey

I put on a lottttt of weight sitting behind a desk for years...I cooked for my teenage son for 4 years, he's buff, but big into meat and potatoes...and I ate along.....he graduated and moved out... now I exercise 5 X a week and have recently gone semi-vegi....adding fish...cut out pasta, meat, dairy, sugar, white anything....  I'm losing a pound or so a week, 30 since Oct... which is safe enough to be sustainable...

The highlight of the day is the "green zinger" - 2 or three times a day. Feel great afterward.

I juice carrot and celery and then put in the blender with lemon juice, spinach leaves, lots of fresh parsley, green pepper, apple, a  big chunk of ginger + sometimes cilantro and cucumber and red pepper..Zesty!

Chip Donaho

Quote from: Louis on December 25, 2007, 09:49 PM
In 1997 I was in a car accident and was in the hospital for a little over 8 months and could not walk for over a year.   
How did you put up being in the hospital that long?  :o  I know it wasn't by choice, but even 3 months drove me nuts.  :P

Louis Russell

Quote from: Chip71 on December 28, 2007, 02:31 PM
How did you put up being in the hospital that long?  

The first month was lost to me.  I remember very little about it. The second month was really hard because I was accustomed to being on the go all the time.  I took things a few minutes at a time and set very short goals.  I would think, all I have to do is make it for another 15 minutes and it will be XXX time.  Then I would put whatever was next on the schedule where the XXXs were.  After 4 months I was able to be in a wheel chair and things were much easier then.  I learned a lot about myself during that period and I think improved myself a lot too.  You can take any situation and make it something better if you explore all the possibilities.  Now if I could just get rid of some of this weight.  I try my patented toddler diet I posted here last year. 

bolweevil

That's a long time to be in the hospital, Louis.  I was in for about a week and a half after my car accident (broken back, shoulder, ribs) and even that got surreal after a while.

But, to the point: since this is a health and weight loss dialog, I thought I'd mention my 'no alcohol' resolution.  I've realized I can no longer have "just a few" without it turning into many more. 

A case in point is this recent New Year's show, where I made it two and half sets sober--playing great, by my standards--and thought I could tip a few.  By the end of the night, I was drunk and not playing so well.  Of course, everybody else was buzzed beyond belief, but I just can't swallow that excuse anymore.

Anyway, tonight is my first show of '08, and I figure it will be the first big challenge.  Being in a bar, with a band half-stocked with drinkers, and with access to an open bar, will prove a challenge. 

I'll probably go nuts on the energy drinks to cope.  Caffeine is another vice, but I have to take this one thing at a time!  I always thought if I had to choose between booze and coffee it would be a no brainer...

NY Frank

I wish you the best with your resolutions, and I really like your idea
of using saved beer money on - more cymbals.   :)

skinbeatergreg

Great thread, Frank.  And inspiring stories one and all.

I left the Marines in 2004 after 10 years and hit the corporate fast track in NYC.  Since I no longer did 2 hours of PT every day, I immediately put on 25 pounds that I am continuing to lose through proper diet and exercise. My weight has been yo-yoing for the past 2 years, but I am determined this year to get it off and keep it off. 

Between the bagels/muffins at breakfast meetings, to lunches out on the town, to after dinnner drinks, to airplane food, it can be a challenge to make the proper eating choices, but I've been able to manage pretty well so far (knock wood) and haven't been ostracized because of it.

It really hit home when my boss had a quadruple bypass last year and 2 of my fellow ratracers had strokes.  I also found out the guy who used to have my job died at the age of 57. So going forward it's all about being a healthy, fit individual. My life depends on me taking care of me.

glynes

A couple of years ago, fed up with looking like a frump, I joined a gym, got a trainer (partly to get stronger for drumming), went 3X a week and stuck to a 1200-calorie-a-day diet, and lost 35 pounds in 4 months.  I was very proud of myself!  But then, even at 10 pounds from my goal, people were commenting that I was too skinny.  And aside from the size-4 jeans, I realized that I didn't feel one bit better.  My health didn't improve, I didn't have any more energy, and basically I was the same old me, just a little bit less.  It wasn't encouraging, and I've now gained back about 2/3 of what I lost.  I'm trying to motivate myself to take the weight off again, because I really, really like those size-4 jeans (and I was horrified to discover that my hubby can get into the ones I'm wearing now!).  But I'm not having much luck.  I've stayed off the sodas, but chocolate is my downfall.  I don't know if I can turn my back on that again!

NY Frank

Quote from: glynes on January 07, 2008, 02:11 PM
I've stayed off the sodas, but chocolate is my downfall.  I don't know if I can turn my back on that again!

You are not alone, sister.  I have been egging my wife on to join me on Some attempt at weight reduction and better eating.  [We can influence each other negatively, greatly.  :)  ]  She was recently relaxing and eating a large chocolate bar.  I asked: "I know how much you enjoy that.  Is there any chance you can get that satisfaction with a couple of squares of the bar, v.s. the whole bar?"  She very rapidly replied:  "No."    :)
I don't know what it is, but there's some strong chemistry related to females and the chocolate craving.  I can't make fun of it, because I have plenty of my own vices.  :)

Anthony Manning-Franklin

While I don't need to lose any weight (in fact I could do with a bit more maybe) I don't seem to actually be very fit. My resting heartrate is a shocking 90bpm. And so one of my goals is to try and get fit, do a lot of cardiovascular work, and get it back down. Problem is that due to my condition I've worked really hard to make drumming as effortless as possible, and I often find that if I want to have a good 2 or 3 hour practice, I can't let it become much of a workout.

Chip Donaho

Quote from: skinbeatergreg on January 06, 2008, 02:04 AM
My life depends on me taking care of me.
Boy isn't that the truth. Since my accident I gained about 25 lbs. My wife now feeds me 3 or 4 times a day and that doesn't help. There are 3 things I can do to get back down to my 135 lbs. Lots of walks, situps, and set up a kit in the basement. I've decided that these are the things that will get me back to my thin self. My wife isn't going to help, so I am the last resort. No one can do it for me. With the cold and snow the walks will be somewhat on hold. So I've got to resort to playing drums and situps. It's a good thing I can still do both. I think!   :P  Time to find out, no one person is going to do it for me.  :-\