• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Show us your drum/perc set-up

Started by Bart Elliott, January 01, 2008, 11:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryan Van Donslear

Ludwig Standards from late 60's or early 70's. I am not able to come up with an exact date.

22/16/13
14x5 Supraphonic (Not original to kit)

Cymbals in flux.

Matthew Warwick

As I said, I don't have any pictures, but I do have a video that I posted on here a while back. Here it is again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZcN9jVUeVc

You can't see the full kit, but I'll post the specs below.

Drums: Tama Rockstar Custom in Custom Charcoal Finish

22x16 Kick Drum
14x5.5 Snare Drum
12x10 Rack Tom
13x11 Rack Tom (Floor tom in the video but now put back as a rack tom)
16x16 Floor Tom

I also have 2 Tama Steel Mini Timbales (6x4 and 8x4) but I don't have them set up right now. As mentioned before, I'm currently working on my playing skills rather than buying new equipment, but after I've seen adequate improvement in myself I want to upgrade my snare drum. The one I'm looking into is the Pearl Free Floating Maple Snare in 14x6.5. Sometime in the future when I have more room I'd love to add one of Tama's 20" Gong bass drums in as a large second floor tom. I love how those things sound! I'm not sure though because although I intend to keep this drumset forever, I might want to upgrade to a Starclassic Bubinga or something like that someday, and I might just get the Gong drum with that and use my current set as a travel kit or something. I also might get other snare drums for different sounds, but I'm not sure what those others would be at this time.

Cymbals: Different Sabians and Paistes

13" B8 Hi-hats
20" B8 Pro Power Rock Ride
16" Dimensions Power Crash
10" PST5 Splash
17" AAX X-plosion Crash

I also have a 16" O-zone effects crash, but I don't have it set up in the video or right now. Also, the second crash in the video was a Pro 18" Studio(?) Crash. I cracked it years ago though and I replaced it last Christmas with the X-plosion crash. As mentioned in the cymbal setup thread, I want to eventually get a third crash (most likely a 15" Paiste Signature Fast Crash) and a second splash (not sure yet which one) as well as upgrade my ride and hi-hat (21" Sabian HH Raw Bell Ride and 13" Sabian AAX X-celerator hats, respectively). I'll probably keep the old hi-hat and ride as extras or something.

Heads: Aquarian and Evans

Kick: Aquarian SK1 on Batter and Black Regulator with small hole on resonant
Snare: Evans EC2 with dot on batter and Aquarian CC Snare side on resonant
Toms: Evans EC2 clears on batters and Aquarian Hi-frequencies on resonants

I currently have a clear Evans hydraulic batter on my 13" tom which is out of commission because I need to get a new starcast tom mount (the current one doesn't have the pads on the mounting part of it and the tom loses resonance when mounted on a stand). I need to get new heads for the mini-tymps when I set them back up and I'm thinking just 1-ply coated heads will do great on those. As far as a gong drum goes, I'm thinking maybe the Evans hydraulic blue would do well on that. I heard a sample of that head on a gong drum on youtube and it sounded awesome.

Hardware: Assorted

DW 4000 Double Pedal (has been a single for 5 years since it broke tho, lol)
Tama Iron Cobra Velo Guide Hi-hat stand
Assorted stands (PDP, Sound Percussion, Dixon (knockoff brand?))
Tama Clamps
Crappy Throne by Sunlite (lol)

I don't know if I'll ever get a rack mount when I add on a couple more cymbals and drums or if I'll just stick with stands. Either way, though, I want to get rid of the Sound Percussion stand because it's a big bulky one I traded a PDP 800 stand for to one of my friends (big, stupid mistake). The Dixon actually works well despite being a possible knockoff brand. If I get a rack I'm not sure if it'll be a Gibraltar or PDP. I have a crappy throne I had with my first kit like 9 years ago. I'd like to upgrade my pedal to a DW5000 Turbo sometime as well as upgrade my throne to a Roc-n-Soc padded throne with nitro lift.

Cory Bart

Tama Superstar Hyperdrive Brushed Metallic Black
22x20 Bass Drum
13x6 Snare
12x7 Rack Tom
14x12 Floor Tom
16x14 Floor Tom

CYMBALS:
14" Zildjian ZBT Hi-Hats
17" Sabian X-Plosion Crash
18" Sabian X-Plosion Fast Crash
20" Zildjian ZBT Ride

Poh Soon Teng

Michael Bettine

As Monty Python used to say, "And now for something completely different." I performed a full concert on just Gongs/Bells/Singing Bowls/Sound Plates/Cymbals etc. in a beautiful old church yesterday. The sound was wonderful. I played my own compositions and a few improvisations. Much fun despite the hectic set up.

Here is my full set up for the day:

Next time I'll post some drums...

Scot Holder

Michael,

That has to be one of the coolest set ups I've seem in a while. Would love to hear it...

Lewis Digges

New to these forums and wanted to share my drum set with everyone.

My drums are a CB Drums/Percussion drum set which I bought as a 5 piece back in June 1995. As you can see I have added on to it since then to include 2 10 inch toms, a 15 inch tom and another 16 inch floor tom. This picture is from 4 years ago but since this picture I'm now using Evans EC2 Coated heads on the toms and Evans G2 on the snare and a coated Evans EMAD on the bass drum and Genera Resonant Clears (Glass) on the resonant heads except for the front (CB Drums logo). I also use Zildjian cymbals with a complete set of Zildjian ZHT's and an assortment of A Zildjians, K Zildjians, A Customs, K Customs and Z Customs with a few ZBT's thrown in.

Here it is from the front.

Here's the full view of the drums.

And here is me playing:

Poh Soon Teng

From my gig at Ruby Skye, San Francisco...

MOUSE

Current set up of my Granstars, snare is a Chad Smith, new cymbals are Paiste Full dark signature 20" ride, K Custom hybrid 18 crash, Sabian el-sabor splash, nice Paiste Twenty 18" china (not shown), K hihats ...loving them.

http://]

James Walker

(Apologies for dredging up an old thread.)

Like many others here, I'm sure, I'll use different setups for different performance situations.  To minimize my self-indulgent tendencies, I'll keep this to two:  one from a symphony "pops" concert a few years ago, and another from a steel band gig earlier this year.

Bart Elliott

Jon E

2002 Ludwig Classic Maple.
12" tom, 10" tom, 16" floor, 22" kick.
Zildjian cymbals.

Bob Dias

It's been a while. My main kit for gigging this summer. A 1969ish Slingerland, Skyblue Pearl, 13, 14, 16 and 20. Rogers COB Dynasonic snare, and a nice mix of Mehmet, Agop, and Bosphorus Cymbals. Better Pics as the summer progresses. Enjoy! B.

Jon E

Bob, what cymbal stands are those?

Bart Elliott

Quote from: Jon E on May 23, 2018, 10:10 AM
Bob, what cymbal stands are those?

I'm not Bob, but I believe those are Axis cymbal stands. Very cool design.

Bob Dias

They are indeed Axis stands. I bought them maybe 15 years ago. Very light weight, very sturdy. I use 5 cymbal stands and a hihat stand. Just modified the cymbal sleeve to accept a Tama cymbal lock. I gig them regularly. One of the best investments I ever made!

James Walker

I took part in a fun concert this past weekend, commemorating the 25th year of the community music school where I teach drums and piano.  One kit was for a piano trio, and the old Leedy kit was for an arrangement of Louis Armstrong's "West End Blues." 

Alas, that's not my rug. ;)

Bart Elliott

Very nice, James ... thanks for sharing! Love the Leedy kit.

Jay

Here's my kit. Simple enough

All I need is just to change drum heads. I'm currently reading this and planning to get a few Evans snares.