• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

The power of minerals

Started by Peppe, January 20, 2008, 07:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peppe

Anthony Manning-Franklin

I think any medical professional would have to be INSANE to say that minerals/vitamins are unimportant to the human body. In fact I'm sure I've heard of symptoms like yours being referred to as some medical condition that arises from a lack of magnesium.

This doesn't mean we should all run out and start downing pills however. Don't try and fix it if it ain't broke! Having too much can be damaging as well as too little, as is the case with a lot of things in life.

In fact perhaps your story points to a more sinister trend in our society. You mention all these causes of low magnesium, and do vaguely suggest that you fit those catagories, yet from what your story tells us you opt immediately for the pill rather then attacking the problem at it's source. It's a situation which seems to be recurrent throughout our society at present.

Peppe

Paicey

Cool Peppe!. Im a supplement taker also. Barleans flax oil, vitamins- Ester-C, (natural) not synthetic dry E, B-complex, magnesium supplement called (natural calm) definitely check into this peppe. I drink distilled water only with trace minerals from the sea added (by me). Take care.

Peppe

Paicey

If you want to get DEEP into nutrition read anything from Gary Null. Read power aging. Im also a believer in as much natural food as possible with little to NO processed food. Im also taking Beta carotene, chlorophyl and organic apple cider vinegar. As little white bread and sugar as possible but its tough sometimes. Periodic under eating is a great anti-aging secret. Little meat consumption and QUALITY when i DO eat it. When you read Gary Nulls books you find out just how bad the worlds natural food supply is for you, its scary. People are killing themselves with what they put in their mouths.

Todd Knapp

QuoteWhen you read Gary Nulls books you find out just how bad the worlds natural food supply is for you...

And yet all the things you are supplementing with are from "nature"? I don't understand this statement.

rockthebox

i definitely believe in vitamins and minerals. I think everyone should take multi's, B's, amino acids.... It wont hurt and what your body doesnt use, you just pee it out.

Louis Russell

Quote from: rockthebox on February 07, 2008, 06:52 PM
i definitely believe in vitamins and minerals. I think everyone should take multi's, B's, amino acids.... It wont hurt and what your body doesnt use, you just pee it out.

Not exactly!  There are thirteen vitamins classified as either water soluble (C and B complex) or fat soluble (A, D, E and K).  Once absorbed into the circulation these vitamins are carried to the liver where they are stored.  Water-soluble vitamins, such as Vitamin C and the B vitamins are stored in the body for only a brief period of time and are then excreted by the kidneys. The one exception to this is vitamin B12, which is stored in the liver. 

Fat soluble vitamins should not be consumed in excess as they are stored in the body and an excess can result in side effects. An excess of vitamin A may result in irritability, weight loss, dry itchy skin in children and nausea, headache, diarrhea in adults.

An excess of water soluble vitamins except for B12 should not result in any side effects as they will disperse in the body fluids and voided in the urine.

The best bet is eat a balanced diet.  If you do take supplements do not exceed the RDA. 

Peppe

diddle

Quote from: Peppe on January 21, 2008, 11:49 AM
The people who wants us to believe that vitamins/mineral-supplements are useless, are the drug companies. They even tried to ban the selling of these supplements, at least here in Europe. I believe they tried to do the same thing in USA, a few years back.

Anything that can't be cured with patented medicines can't be cured.

that's a rather synical view... I really don't think its a conspieacy...  ::)

Paicey

Quote from: diddle on February 08, 2008, 10:11 PM
that's a rather synical view... I really don't think its a conspieacy...  ::)
The drug companies have their place but as a whole i think they are a form of anti-christ!!. As far as maximim health goes as well, the FDA is a joke. Their potency recommendations are doses barely able to keep the body alive..NOT maximum health.

Peppe

Paicey

Quote from: Peppe on February 09, 2008, 12:05 PM
It doesn't seem unlikely to me - they are only defending their financial interests, right? ;)

Thinking of how many people who die or become seriously ill because of prescribed drugs every year, it's seems a bit odd that the drug companies are putting pressure on governments to ban the sales of vitamin/mineral supplements "because they can be dangerous". Where are all the vitamin victims, then?

There are alot of uninformed individuals downing supplements like candy because if one is good 7 are better. The same goes for drug overdose. Drug over dose or mis-use can KILL you, natural supplements are FAR more forgiving. I want to be in charge of my OWN health and i get educated befor taking any new supplements. I want the Government OUT of my life trying to be my personal savior. Education is the key here when dealing with your own health. Knowledge is power, start reading....LEARN.

diddle

Quote from: Peppe on February 09, 2008, 12:05 PM
It doesn't seem unlikely to me ... it's seems a bit odd that the drug companies are putting pressure on governments to ban the sales of vitamin/mineral supplements "because they can be dangerous". Where are all the vitamin victims, then?

excessive use of vitamins & minerals can be dangerous... that's why governments take action.

Paicey

Quote from: diddle on February 09, 2008, 12:24 PM
excessive use of vitamins & minerals can be dangerous... that's why governments take action.
Have you ever listened to all of the drug commercials saturating television for the past couple years?. A drug for every disfunction yet the side effects are even worse than the symptoms!. Ever hear of excessive vitamin C causing dizziness, high blood pressure, rectal bleeding, nausea or kidney disease?. Thank god the government is looking out for me, i can sleep better now. Dont get me wrong, drugs can save lives but for scurvy ill take some vitamin c thank you...NOT Despaprotin, give me a break!.