• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

homemade octobans/quarter toms

Started by a_read_so_deep, January 22, 2008, 12:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

a_read_so_deep

For the longest time ive been using roto toms to increase my tonal spectrum but i hate the way they look and they are barely holding up.
does anyone have any experience making their own quarter toms, if so give me tips on the process.
i was going to try to build some a while back but the home improvement store i went to didnt sell pvc pipe in 6 inches outter diameter

Louis Russell

Quote from: a_read_so_deep on January 22, 2008, 12:04 AMdidnt sell pvc pipe in 6 inches outter diameter

Most pipe is sized by ID (inside diameter).  It will be difficult to find exactly 6 inch OD.  You could try some schedule 80 or higher 5 inch and that should be almost 6 inch OD, at least within a quarter inch or so undersize.  Your best bet would be contact your local heat/ac contractor and find some PVC Ducting.  You can get that in many large sizes and it is measured in OD if I remember correctly. 

Timekeep69

PVC is your cheapest option (if you can find it) but you can also get maple tubes ( I think they only go to 18") and acrylic tubes. Anderson International sells the maple tubes and there are a few places that sell the acrylic tubes (which are the most expensive).