• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

i was recently in a car accident

Started by a_read_so_deep, January 23, 2008, 04:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

a_read_so_deep

and it demolished my femur. that was in april. i can now walk with a barely noticeable limp. i actually started to play the drums while i was still on crutches.
anyway. sometimes i cant sit on a drumstool cause my leg will hurt really bad. and ill have to stand up.
a nice comfy drum chair would help, but i really really really dont want to dish out that much money. any advice?

bolweevil

If the accident was recent, maybe you need more recovery time before drumming again.  I was in a crash myself about four years ago (broken back, shoulder, ribs) and it was about three months before I could even try to play again (therefore about nine months to a year before I was back up to speed).

The time off and the slow return led to me focus more on fundamentals and such; maybe you could spend your recovery time reading, studying, and planning for your comeback. 

a_read_so_deep

well its been nearly a year....the dr said it was about as healed as it is going to get... think its having my leg horizontal thats hurting me.  but to sit at an angle that it doesnt hurt would put me up way  to high to play comfortably. kinda lose lose

Robyn

Have you done some physical therapy? If you haven't, it will be worth it for you to have your dr. write a prescription for this. And if you need to put out the $ for a good quality throne, then you should. When someone here asks the question "what is the most important part of your kit?" invariably the answer is "a quality, comfortable throne."

robyn

Louis Russell

The throne is, without a doubt, the most important part of your kit.  The more you play the more you realize this is true. 

a_read_so_deep

maybe you guys are right. i did take about 5 months of physical therapy. then my insurance refused to pay for it. douchebags. anyway.
im poor and constantly innovating...would a nice computer chair work

Chip Donaho

Just a little over a year ago I had a bad car accident. Messed up both legs, busted a hip, and I now walk with a cane. Since then I got back to playing. Just before the accident I had bought a new drum stool. A gas filled one that cushions when you play. Now I'm glad I made that choice. Sure has made a difference for me. I can play at my set with no problems.  ;)  I had tried a computer chair as an experiment before I bought the new stool. That sucked, it had wheels and pushed away from the set as I kicked the peddle. If you took the wheels off that helped, but it still would wobble and send a jolt up your spine.  :P

Robyn

Quote from: a_read_so_deep on January 24, 2008, 09:33 PM
maybe you guys are right. i did take about 5 months of physical therapy. then my insurance refused to pay for it. douchebags. anyway.
im poor and constantly innovating...

Then save up for one. I'm not trying to be snotty, but there are almost always things that you can cut out and put the $$ aside for what you need. Quit smoking, give up daily pop at 7-11 (someone here mentioned how much soda he bought every day at 7-11--I figured up that he would save about $350/yr not getting the soda every day), switch off the cable TV, drive less/drive more slowly (saves gas), take lunch to work instead of buying, etc etc. You'd be surprised how easy it is to spend a dollar here and there--it can be easy to save it too, once you get into that mindset. Then put it aside--most banks have savings accounts you can set up for a particular need, so you can see exactly how much you have/when you have enough--and don't mess w/ it until you have enough. Then do your research on the best throne for your needs, try a few out if you can, try buying on Ebay. I got my DW throne on Ebay and it's great! Saved a few bucks too.

robyn

Paicey

Do you currently have hardware in your leg?. Would your leg feel better supported or unsupported. Motorcycle style seat or something like Tamas rectangualr larger seat.