• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Ever get a boost / cheered up from a Good Practice?

Started by NY Frank, February 25, 2008, 09:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NY Frank

Ever have a few consecutive:
- Bad days at work
- Blah days at practice
and then have a good, productive, dare I say, artistic, practice that
cheers you up.

I just had one.  Ahhhhh.

Chip Donaho

Just last week it was terrible for me. No calls for gigs or a jam. All of a sudden I anwered an email that had auditions for a country band. So my son hauled me out, helped set up my gear, then I was happy to see an old friend I had played with a few years back. My son said I sounded great, but I came home just happy to jam with an old friend. Still haven't heard back from them, such is life, I was very happy to play just the same. Some days are better than others, but you know when you feel right.  8)

Patrick Quigley

Sometimes a weekend full of "bad" gigs (no/low pay, low attendance, bad sounds, etc) can really get me and the guys down. But getting together on a Wednesday night, jamming until new and inovative sounds come out, running through the set and having it sound AMAZING in our tiny practice space, having a meeting about merch, tour, press kits, etc; all that can really pick things up.  I love a good practice, but only half as much as I love a good show.

NY Frank

Quote from: riot2003 on February 26, 2008, 09:03 AM
I love a good practice, but only half as much as I love a good show.

Since my immediate future doesn't seem to include live performing, I have
to take refuge with anything good that happens while practicing at home.  :)

Peppe

I often feel good after I've done some technical exercises, like Stick Control or coordination like The New Breed. It's a bit like meditation for me, I guess - just concentrating deeply on the tempo, stick heights, the feel of each stroke - and nothing else. Afterwards, I feel very focused, relaxed and positive  :)

Robyn

Oh yeah, same as a good (horseback)ride--puts me in the right frame of mind! :)  It works both ways for me tho--sometimes the practice/ride is just a bust--something just doesn't go, and it's hard to end on a "good note", then I'm cranky for a while. Fortunately those aren't very common.
Glad you had a practice worth posting about!  :)

robyn

felix

It is great you are playing some again Chip.  Louis is next up.

I have been really flowing the past two practice sessions I've had.  Combining that with a healthy lifestyle makes for a balanced and happy felix persona.  I really feel "one" with the world today  8)

When I don't practice or play I suffer from anxiety.   I'm much better at dealing with anxiety these days, but not playing is the root cause of it.

Chip Donaho

Quote from: felix on March 12, 2008, 09:32 AM
It is great you are playing some again Chip.  Louis is next up.
Thanks Felix, I'm hoping to meet Louis this summer. Going to be doing the checkered flag down his way at the NMA national motocross championship in July. I hope to meet him or any fellow drummers that week in Ponca City, Oklahoma. Been talking with the promoter trying to get Hannah Ford to perform at that event. I still haven't heard back yet. Promoters sure can be slow organizing things like that. Meanwhile, just last night my wife handed me an old notebook that I had put musician names in dating around 1995. Going to call some of those old numbers and see if I can find guys who still play. It's worth a shot in the dark. Never know unless you try....I'm pumped and excited to find another band again. Be doing the checker man position starting soon too. Ahh, spring is in the air!  ;D

Patrick Quigley

mmmm, last night's practice with 'the boys'.  7 PM to 2 AM and you better believe that ever hour felt good

felix

You should have my band do it if Hannah's band can't.  We rock the classics hard YO!   ;D

DoubleC

I've had the reverse too.......a bad gig or rehearsal and I'm bummed for the day.  :(

I had 2 bad gigs (different bands) in a row and finally had a good performance today.  It really made my day.

cc

Stewart Manley

Quote from: CC Drums on April 07, 2008, 12:48 AM...a bad gig or rehearsal and I'm bummed for the day.  :(

I've come to the realization that he odd disappointing rehearsal is good, not bad, and don't get depressed by them any more. The bad ones really serve to blow away the cobwebs and complacency. In fact, I get nervous if I'm coming up to a show and we haven't had a shocker of a rehearsal.

As far as solo practice (woodshed) goes, I think the organization of a practice session is vital and something that gets overlooked. I'd really like to expand on "how to practice" (rather than what to practice) at some point. For example, I think one should work on the hard stuff at the top of the session (after warm-up) -- the new licks or grooves you're struggling with -- and always aim to finish the session with reinforcement practice for the stuff you have under control and which you enjoy -- perhaps a track or groove you love playing and which makes you smile. Ending a practice session with a smile on your face should be a key goal. If you finish with the hard stuff, and leave depressed, you undo hard work.

Louis Russell

Quote from: CC Drums on April 07, 2008, 12:48 AM
I've had the reverse too.......a bad gig or rehearsal and I'm bummed for the day. 

Many times playing is a total blast but sometimes it is so much work and I feel like I could not hit a bull in the butt with a bass fiddle!   ;D  The odd thing about those times is that when I am having to work much harder to play and I feel as if I am not playing as well as normal I receive many compliments about my playing.  Maybe a part of it is the way we interpert or evaluate our playing and not the actual playing itself. 

skn

Had a killer hit on tuesday night... I know what you're talking about!

Schlagzeuger

I have been so busy at work that it's been tough to do any practicing on my own (only playing at band practices and gigs).  A couple nights ago I had a particularly stressful day at work. Even though I was exhausted, when I got home I forced myself to sit at the kit and play.  I put on headphones and played along to some of my favorite tunes on my mp3 player.   Before I knew it an hour and a half had passed, I was completely sweaty, and it was a little late to continue.  What a great session that was for me!  It was a real pick-me-up for the week.