• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Hips and drumming (not a dance thread)

Started by bolweevil, March 13, 2008, 09:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bolweevil

Just wondering if anybody has dealt with hip pain (particularly in the right hip) due to or during drumming.  I've recently felt a hint of soreness just inside the right hip socket when playing a lot of drums or on damp days.

I've got bad hips in my family, but was wondering if drumming can exacerbate this, or if there are seat heights/posture issues that I could address to prevent or at least delay my body from failing me as a drummer at a relatively young age (30).

The pain is low, and rare, but I'm just looking for some pointers to nip this in the bud.

NY Frank

I haven't experienced it in the hips - yet.

I Was getting back pain when I returned to drumming, but that seems to be ok now.

My biggest pain is - a right foot that will Not return to what it was as a 20something.

smoggrocks

Quote from: bolweevil on March 13, 2008, 09:24 PM
on damp days.

that's usually when i get hit with pain, mostly in my knee.

assuming you don't have arthritis [and maybe even if you do], hip flexor stretches and side leg lifts [w/ankle weights] help a lot. the stretches are too complicated to get into [i have a busted hand & can't type fast], but basically you sit in indian style then extend one leg all the way down, so that one leg is still in indian style position & being stretched. only take it as far as you can; it takes a while for guys to get flexible in the hips. also can lie down, arms spread out, bend heel to knee, and lean bent leg over you, so you feel stretch in your hip & glutes. both these can help hip as well as lower back tightness.

but check with yer doc or yoga guru first!

Louis Russell

Quote from: bolweevil on March 13, 2008, 09:24 PMor on damp days.

You will find it is not really the damp days itself but the change in air pressure causing the pain.  I have lots of pain due to an accident and it is worse when the barometric pressure changes, which also happens before the weather changes.  The pain is caused trapped air in bone and tissue is unable to equalize to the ambient pressure due to scar tissue. 

Jim R.

Posture may have a part in it. The only thing I would say it make sure that you drum throne is solid and not moving, wobbly or swiveling. I had hip pain back when my throne was wobbly. Its not a good way to play, there's no foundation. Now I have a Gibraltor with a back rest. SOLID!

Chip Donaho

Quote from: Louis on March 19, 2008, 09:07 PM
it is worse when the barometric pressure changes, which also happens before the weather changes. 
You're right on the money Louie. Since I had my accident the doc said I can't ski anymore. But I can still play drums if it doesn't bother me. I have 3 ugly screws holding my hip together. That's why he said I should still use my cane to walk with. The cane takes pressure off those screws. But I can now tell if the weather is changing. That didn't happen before my accident. Playing hasn't bothered me except I don't have the same feel with that foot, not my hip. Sucks, but I don't have a choice. I've now got to deal with the problem. Which means learning all over again.  :P

bolweevil

Thanks for all the feedback, guys.  I've started doing some hip-flexor type exercises, and since winter is finally over here in Wisconsin, I've started biking.  My muscles are sore due to winter atrophy (I know cold weather is no excuse to be lazy, but I sometimes am!), however I look forward to improvement and relief.

musikranger

i had a slight hip rotation that chiropractic procedures has dang near cured it. Plus the fact that a new drum throne from Roc N Sock w/hydraulic lift and a back support has made a huge difference not only with hips but in knee and back as well. For me, this has worked quite well....plus I do get regular exercise. Some of the Pilates and Tai Chi techniques help to lengthen and strengthen muscles as well. Hope you get better .

Bart Elliott

Besides the throne in general, the placement of your drums and cymbals, especially the HiHat stand, can be a real problem. If you haven't done so, you might want to have a look at my 5-Minute Lesson,  http://www.drummercafe.com/content/view/193/19/]Ergonomic HiHat Placement , and see if there's something there that you can use in your approach to help with the hips.

Louis Russell

Quote from: Chip71 on April 02, 2008, 01:26 PM
I have 3 ugly screws holding my hip together.

When you come down in July we can compare X-rays.  I think I have 14 screws and 6 plates.  My pelvis was broken in over 90 places but I can still sit a throne, if it is a good one.  Now I am waiting on the shoulder so I can swing a stick.