• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Great find!

Started by drumhero, December 26, 2002, 02:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drumhero

I fond this on e-bay.  Six piece keller shell pack for $300!  I think I will get it next check and use it to start my custom drum set.   http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=932335102&category=10175]Here is the link.

Mark Schlipper

itd be worth the extra hundred bucks to have the edges cut by them.   edges is tricky things, easy to screw up without the right tools.

you also might want to check drummaker.com and precisiondrum.com to see how much of a deal $300 for blanks really is.  

drumhero

its actually only going to cost less from drummaker .com I think.  something like $480 shipped with bearing edges and snare bed.  where the ebay will be like 600 with the same stuff.  I stand corrected.

Mark Schlipper

pays to shop around :)

Mister Acrolite

Last I checked, you can also have Drummaker drill the shells for you. If you haven't done this before, it's worth thinking about - you need to get those lugs in just the right position.

Mark Schlipper

Quote from: Mister_Acrolite on December 26, 2002, 06:30 PM
Last I checked, you can also have Drummaker drill the shells for you. If you haven't done this before, it's worth thinking about - you need to get those lugs in just the right position.

yep, but i think they may only do it if you buy lugs from them at the same time.   but i could be mistaken.

AndyDierker

Drummaker is a fun site. I went through and totalled up the prices on a 4-piece and 6-piece, and tried to get THEm to do as much as possible - in other words, have THEM cut the bearing edge, have THEM drill the holes, have THEM glue the wrap on, etc.

When I totalled up everything, the 4-piece came out about $1400, and the 6-piece came out $1800. From the other custom manufacturers (Spaun I'm using as my example) charges about $1800 for a 4-piece. So, they're marking it up $400 for labor. That sounds pretty reasonable. I always thought they were commiting highway robbery, but you know, it's really not that bad.

Then I got to thinking. $1800 versus $1400.... $1800 versus $1400... uh oh. Tempted. I am NOT good at building things, or putting things together. I break things. I hurt people. I'm clumsy. If I bought all the parts, and had THEM do all the gluing, cutting, and drilling, how simple is it to just put everything together? I mean, if I can save $400, I'm all for it. But I don't want to screw something up and just piss my money away. I can operate a screwdriver without much damage to myself or my surroundings, so maybe this is they way to go?

As has been said 100 times before, a keller shell is a keller shell. $400 for them to just screw everything together is good business on their part, but if I can get around it, I'd like to. Thoughts?

Mister Acrolite

Quote from: AndyDierker on December 27, 2002, 02:23 AM
I am NOT good at building things, or putting things together. I break things. I hurt people. I'm clumsy. If I bought all the parts, and had THEM do all the gluing, cutting, and drilling, how simple is it to just put everything together? I mean, if I can save $400, I'm all for it. But I don't want to screw something up and just piss my money away. I can operate a screwdriver without much damage to myself or my surroundings, so maybe this is they way to go?

As has been said 100 times before, a keller shell is a keller shell. $400 for them to just screw everything together is good business on their part, but if I can get around it, I'd like to. Thoughts?

Andy - here's the simplest test:

Take apart your drum set. Completely. So that all you have is some wood cylinders and some (carefully separated) stacks of hardware. If you're nervous, start out with just one drum. Completely take it apart, then put it back together.

It ain't rocket science, and it would do you good to learn more about how drums are put together.

Little problems may come up - for example, I bought a drum shell from Phattie, and a set of lugs. Turned out the screws that held the lugs on were too long. So I went to Home Depot and bought some washers - problem solved. But that might be enough to discourage you.

Seriously, strip a drum or two and reassemble them. If it goes well, order from Drummaker. If it ends up being a hassle, go with Spaun or a similar custom-built drum, like Conaway, Resurrection, Phattie, etc.

Good luck!

drumhero

I know a problem arose a few days ago about me ordering a custom set one piece at a time and running the risk of the finishes bieng diferent, and I think I have the solution.  I am going to order the kit one piece at a time from drummaker, have them do the layout and bearing edges, me drill the holes, then set them aside untill I have all the shells, lugs, screws, and all the hardware, then take them to my local auto paint shop and discuss the possibility of doing a custom, transparent reflex blue paint job, and a few coats of lacquer.  How does that sound?  I am reasonably sure that I could do the layout to, but not 100% sure, so I'll just have them do it.  I am sure, however, that I can do the drilling if I have the guide spots.

Mister Acrolite

MindWarp - seems like it would be simpler to wait until you can afford the whole kit before buying anything. The way you're describing it, you'll have a stack of shells sitting aroung that you can't even play until you get the last piece.

So I'd recommend that you wait until you've got all your money together. Who knows - maybe during that time your tastes might have changed, and you might modify your order. It would suck to be stuck with drum shells you bought for a plan you got tired of months ago...  

The reason I bring that up is because I know how many times I change my mind when I'm getting a new kit! ::)

drumhero

Well, I have made up my mind.  This is the kit I want to get, for looks, price, and the fact that I have played a set of these before and they killed.  Plus, you can't beat a new kit that sounds that good, with everything you see here minus cymbals, for $1049.00 plus s/h.

felix

Those things are cool.  I like PV drums.  I would consider buying a kit...just to be different.  Who cares how they sound!

mikeellis

Never having played PV's - all I can go on is the look! And I think they look pretty kewl! What colour will you go for? Irridescent green perhaps? ;)

felix

I've played them but not long enough to form a judgment.

drumhero

Quote from: felix on December 27, 2002, 07:59 AM
Those things are cool.  I like PV drums.  I would consider buying a kit...just to be different.  Who cares how they sound!
No, they will be exactly as pictured.  The only color options for the 501's are white, black, and wine red metallic.  Actually, I would like the green, but the only way to get that is to go with the RP 751 series, which is a lacquered finish, which I may do anyway as they are only $1599.00.  Here is what they look like. (Sorry for the size, but it's the only good picture I could find that showed the detail of the finish.)

mikeellis

I've got the 1997 MD video and Roy Burns is playing a PV set (I think). Sounds pretty good, but he had them tuned up high in a jazz meister top notch drummer type dude sort of way.

The green does look good tho.....

drumhero

Yeah, I think the PV Radial Pro series is ont of the easiest sets to recognize, providing you know that peavey makes drums and have even heard of the series.  The radial bridge makes these drums really stand out from the rest of the crowd.  I have not seen a set that even comes close enough to the RP's to get them mixed up at a distance.

mikeellis

Being of the species "Drummeranis Oldfarticus", I remember the days when I could name brand AND series of any major drum line. Before they all went "generic" and all look the same!

LT500man

Cool lookin set... are those black rings part of the hoop or a special head...  I'm feeling kinda dumb about that right now... LOL

drumhero

Ok, the rings are the radial bridge.  The best explanation is on  http://www.peavey.com/products/amps_mi/drums/]this page .  Click on Evolution of the Drum.  It should explain everything.  If your still not clear, they have a forum run by there C.S. people you can try.