• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Stone Drums...?

Started by 0007, June 05, 2008, 01:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

There's a good new magazine out there called "Drumhead".  Well, in their May-June 08 issue (Steward Copeland on the cover), in their "Musik Messe" photospread, page 078 shows a marble-looking snare drum with the words STONE DRUMS printed on the shell.  All of the other pics have a URL associated w/ them, but this one doesn't.

Has anyone ever heard of the company that makes these drums?  My on-line searches have yielded nothing.

Chip Donaho

First time I've ever heard of them.  :-\

metalshredder

Man, I searched that a few different ways, and all I could come up with was this:
GoldNTimes - Earth marble Snare Shell
But!  that's only listed as a prize for something on drumshed.org which is another forum.
Anyhow, I looked up GoldNTimes, and they seem to be an acrylic drum shell dealer.  So I wonder if this thing (and perhaps what you saw) was an acrylic shell made to look marble-ish?  I didn't see the article, so I don't know what you saw...did it actually look like solid marble?  That sounds awesome, but I just can't find any info!

In fact, they deal on ebay, check this one out:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ACRYLIC-AMBER-WHITE-ICE-CREAMSICLE-SNARE-DRUM-SHELL_W0QQitemZ230007812944QQihZ013QQcategoryZ38095QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem]http://cgi.ebay.com/ACRYLIC-AMBER-WHITE-ICE-CREAMSICLE-SNARE-DRUM-SHELL_W0QQitemZ230007812944QQihZ013QQcategoryZ38095QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

Quote from: metalshredder on June 06, 2008, 08:03 AM
So I wonder if this thing (and perhaps what you saw) was an acrylic shell made to look marble-ish?  I didn't see the article, so I don't know what you saw...did it actually look like solid marble?

a bit of background -- the "Musik Messe" is like a NAMM show, in Germany.  Every product in the photospread looks like new stuff, yet to hit the market.  So for something to be labeled "stone drums" at this event is probably an aptly-named attention getter.

The acrylic drum seen in your ebay link, whose "grain" is milky, is quite different from this STONE DRUM, whose grain is straight, vertical from head to head.  And the telltale sugary texture of marble is evident, even in that little pic.  No seams or couplings holding the shell together -- it looks like a solid piece of stone, w/ standard lugs & throwoff fastened in the usual way.

metalshredder

Hmm.  Sounds pretty @$%# cool though, I'd get one!

Ryan

I tried to scan a picture out of Drumhead to show it, but it came out pretty grainy.  Haven't been able to find anything online.  Have you considered emailing Drumhead and asking about it?

Ryan

Here's what Drumhead said:

That picture was taken by our ad salesman at the Messe and we loved the drum. We searched and searched, and asked and asked about it - all to no avail. I'm going to see if our German editor knows anything about the drum...but as of now - I can't be of any help. sorry

Heather Smith
Drumhead Magazine
info@drumheadmag.com

Bermuda Schwartz

There was apparently a drum made of Corian at the show... was that it?

NJtuna

http://cgi.ebay.com/ACRYLIC-AMBER-WHITE-ICE-CREAMSICLE-SNARE-DRUM-SHELL_W0QQitemZ230007812944QQihZ013QQcategoryZ38095QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem
LOL...I grew up in Fair Lawn and moved out 11 years ago when I was 23...Small world!

Quote from: NJtuna on June 13, 2008, 11:36 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ACRYLIC-AMBER-WHITE-ICE-CREAMSICLE-SNARE-DRUM-SHELL_W0QQitemZ230007812944QQihZ013QQcategoryZ38095QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem
LOL...I grew up in Fair Lawn and moved out 11 years ago when I was 23...Small world!

Not the same drum -- metalshredder posted this same ebay link above. This drum looks quite different.

Quote from: bermuda on June 09, 2008, 12:10 PM
There was apparently a drum made of Corian at the show... was that it?

This very well could have been made of Corian.  I'm not familiar w/ DuPont's manufacturing methods, whether they ever produce round shells...but it's MUCH more feasible that this was manufactured stone rather than hewn marble!