• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Percussion in funk & soul

Started by naranek, September 30, 2008, 12:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

naranek

I have a long history in classical percussions and I've decided to also learn about the lighter side and playing percussions in a band. I've browsed through the articles in drummer cafe and they've been a lot of help! I was planning on finding a band that plays music like Brand New Heavies, Jamiroquai, Incognito (Acid Jazz?) and thought I'd have that style pretty well covered, but now it seems that I'm getting into a soul / funk band instead. Typical artist they're covering are Stevie Wonder, Marvin Gaye and James Brown.

The problem is that I've listened to the original versions of the songs they're playing, and they rarely have any percussion. So I'm wondering what kind of grooves and patterns are usually played in this genre? Are there any good rules of thumb, or good artists whose recordings would point me in the right direction?

donelk

If you listen to live recordings of Stevie Wonder, Brother Marvin, etc... you'll hear alot of conga. Occasionally you'll also hear tambourine or even triangle.

One of the things to remember is funk/soul drummers tend to play simple stuff... and that they are deeply in the pocket.

Hope this helps.

TheSpindoctor

Hey, I felt compelled to respond to this because I am pretty much in the same situation.  I play in a jazz/funk band called tasty bacon (search us on youtube!) and I play percussion.  You can never really go wrong with the tumbao pattern (thats a slap on 2 and open tones on 4 and, filled in with heel toe).  Also, a good pattern that could be funky when used right is the guaguanco. 

here is a good lesson on guaguanco- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOSABaDhRAk

I'd say that once you get comfortable with those two rhythms, you should be good enough to make up some of your own variations.  (I think that guy on the link also has guaguanco variations if you want to check that out too)
Lastly, If you can, I recommend getting a pair of timbales and a cowbell.  Those are really great for high energy fills and such, and you really only need basic percussion/set skills to use them in a funk/soul setting.
Hope this helps!
-Aaron

Chris Whitten

For funk/soul Stevie/Marvin style I would recommend cabasa, tambourine and claves (clave often played on the snare backbeat) but the biggie really is congas.
Congas are an instrument in their own right, need proper learnt technique and appear on a lot of those records.

Chip Donaho

Quote from: naranek on September 30, 2008, 12:58 PM
Typical artist they're covering are Stevie Wonder, Marvin Gaye and James Brown.
I've played both drums and percussion for much of their music. I might want to add to everything said, the percussion should be in sync with the the bassdrum. James Brown was known for a heavy syncopated bass drum....Great Stuff.  ;)  8)

naranek

Thanks for all the great answers! I think I know now where to go from here. I've been spending most of my practicing time with congas anyway, so I'm definitely going in the right direction :)

chilledbongo

Quote from: naranek on September 30, 2008, 12:58 PM
I'm wondering what kind of grooves and patterns are usually played in this genre?

in addition to what others say, i would add that you can also play some bongos to just about anything. and while it's true that congas are the mainstay, they also require a lot more technique than may meet the eye, as chris rightly points out.

while bongos also have their exact techniques and patterns, you can make them work for you faster and more easily than congas in almost every case. not to mention, they are a blast to play. 8)

Schlagzeuger

That was an excellent video post, spindoctor - thanks!

TheSpindoctor

Quote from: Schlagzeuger on October 02, 2008, 07:18 AM
That was an excellent video post, spindoctor - thanks!
yeah that guy has a lot of awesome videos that really help the beginning conga player develop!
-Aaron