• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

New Djembe for Church!

Started by Patrick Quigley, November 03, 2008, 11:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patrick Quigley

I've been thinking about picking up a djembe for a while now and an event at church spurred me to finally pull the trigger on it.  Everyone at church knows I'm a drummer and somebody approached me after services one day and asked when I was going to bring one and start playing.

So I did. I bought a pretty nice hand made one (rope tuned) from Southern IN on CL.  Its wonderful.

I've gotten to play at church a few times now and I love being a part of the worship team. I really enjoy contributing and worshiping in that way.

Any other worship team djembe players out there?

TheSpindoctor

I play percussion and drum set for our church, congratulations on the job!

We are really blessed to have a pro jazz piano player who goes to our church and he really makes those old school hymns swing!

Patrick Quigley

thats great!  I go to a small house church gathering, so its just me and the acoustic guitar player. once in a while we're blessed to have a piano player in our midst.  it works out to be a pretty good little trio. :)

Bob Bartley

I play percussion for our church and use different hand percussion including a djembe. Once and awhile we do just an acoustic set then I get to play my stuff without a drum kit playing along. I use the Djembe for this and also a cajon. You might check into getting one of these also. They are great for playing along in this style.

Patrick Quigley

I'm going to pick up an egg shaker for some of the softer songs. I've seen cajon's a lot... but really have no idea how to play them. I may stop at a music store and dink around with one. Thanks for the suggestion!

psycht

I've used djembes in church often for big & small groups. Its a great overall tool to use.  I stole a cool little technique from someone once and got great feedback. Basically use hotrods or wire brushes to get different tones out. Helps when its mic'd up but can do well in small settings unmic'd.