• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

NYF Injury update

Started by NY Frank, November 07, 2008, 09:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NY Frank

I thought I'd post an injury update, for the few of you who might remember me.  :)

I still have the screws in my ankle.  I have been though multiple waves now of expectation setting by different doctors, all to change when discussion of
the second procedure came up.  I now finally have a date for screw removal - Dec 4.  Much, much later than originally expected, but, I'm glad it's at least on the books.

But - I'm walking again.  A few weeks ago, the surgeon released me to try to walk, and I graduated through - a few steps to - more steps with a cane - to - no cane.  I now walk with a limp, and I can't exactly go super far, but, I'm walking.   

At the last appointment with the surgeon, he released me to walk - without the plastic boot I had to wear.  [which I hate]  As long as I wear regular boots that go above my ankles.  Those boots were ordered, and today they should arrive.  I will then take my first steps with normal shoes/boots.  At that point, I really should be able to sit down at the kit for a light try.

[Bridge to a recent thread: since my right ankle will be weak for months and years to come, it should be easy for me now to get comfortable with *not* playing all 4's when playing jazz.  :)  ]

Jon E

Here are some nice boots.  :^D

HBolte

Patrick Quigley

I wish you the best in your recovery.  You're in my prayers.

NY Frank

NY Frank

The Eagle Has Landed.

I just got off the kit!  I was able to play - with no pain.

I only played 2 tunes.  I figured I should test it before doing something
stoopid and playing for hours.

Armed with the new boots, and armed with a massively loosened BD pedal,
I was able to play the tunes very comfortably.

I suck more than ever, but I don't care.  I can play, and it feels great.

[No laughing, but, it actually choked me up by the end of the second tune.
Carry On My Wayward Son, if you were curious.  :) ]

Paicey

Get down! wit yer bad self N.Y.F.!!. Get back in the game and off the bench champ!. Keep your left up, your chin tucked and keep punchin!.

Ryan

That's great!  Take it easy and all, but good to hear you're back on the kit.

NY Frank

I went on the kit a few different times now - a little at a time.

I played for about 90 minutes total today, and I have a big smile on my face.

;D

Jon E

QuoteI played for about 90 minutes total today

Dude, I haven't played for 90 minutes this Month!!  Glad you're getting back in the saddle, er.... throne!  Nice.

NY Frank

Quote from: Jon E on November 08, 2008, 04:56 PM
Dude, I haven't played for 90 minutes this Month!!  Glad you're getting back in the saddle, er.... throne!  Nice.

Lots more ahead tomorrow.  Can't wait.   Makes for good dreams while I wait ...

;)

Robyn

Hurray for you! Glad to hear you are forging ahead again w/ drums!

Now I think you should take Jon E up on his offer of a few pairs of boots--just think, depending on the gig, the gold ones..or maybe hot pink...perhaps switch off, one blue and one orange, if you're a Denver fan...nice sexy cut on those pairs... ;D

robyn

Hannah Ford

Awwww....now I got tears in my eyes! 

Thanks alot Frank!!  LOL

Glad to hear you're back at it.

Hannah

Erk

I know exactly how you feel Frank, when I broke my hip in the 9th grade it was the worst. The worst thing was not being able to play, this was when I first started playing too, when I was really getting searious about it. I couldnt play for like almost a year, absolutely horrible. This was when I didnt know there was such thing as a practice bad either, lol.

smoggrocks

Quote from: Jon E on November 07, 2008, 12:08 PM
Here are some nice boots.  :^D

ooooooooohhhhhhhhhh!!! i'll take them all! ;D

nyf--as someone here used to say: "mucho congratulato"!

or something like that.  :D

Tim van de Ven

Good news, Frank. Sounds like your foot is healing nicely and soon you'll be kicking a$$ again!  ;D

NY Frank

Update:

Screws were removed from my ankle.
And most important: surgeon officially gives me green light to play.

No damage was done from my fooling around in the past, and any pain I feel going forward is part of my *rehabbing*.  He says my ankle will tell me
when to stop, but, there is no damage danger at all.  It is 100% healed.

A good Christmas present. 

KevinD

Frank that is really good news Very happy to hear it! I know it has been a long road but it seems you are almost there. Keep pluggin along and you'll be out gigging again in no time.

Regards,

Kevin

NY Frank

Quote from: Tim vdv on November 24, 2008, 04:54 PM
Good news, Frank. Sounds like your foot is healing nicely and soon you'll be kicking a$$ again!  ;D

If only I was kicking a$$ *before* the accident.    ;)

Maybe some magic a$$ kicking will come my way as a result of
the accident.  Shuhyeah right.     ;D