• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Cold Pressed - Multi Percussion solo by Dave Hollinden

Started by NickC425, November 12, 2008, 09:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NickC425

Hey guys. I am playing this piece for my studio recital at the end of the year. I was wondering if anyone had played this and if you had any tips for your setups (bongos over the bass drum; what I could construct or use for this), how long it took to learn, if I should memorize the piece, and anything else. Thanks!

Jon E

While I can't comment on this particular piece (I am not familiar with it), sometime multi-percussion stuff needs a little trial and error as far as set up goes. (some pieces offer suggested set up.  I'll assume this one did not).

Many percussion pices I have played have required *some* be memorized.  Either because of what instruments I am playing, or what the passage entails.  There really isn't a right or wrong way to do it. 

Ben Porter

Hi there,

I played this piece for my University Recital a couple of years ago. I was lucky enough that the top part of my bongo stand would fit in the hole in my bass drum so had it mounted there within easy reach. I then put the two toms on a separate stand.

I seem to remember a suggested setup at the front of the score with the instruments setup in ascending order with toms and snare to the left of the bass and woodblocks, cowbells et al. to the right. That's what i used and it seemed to work pretty well.

Regarding the score - it is written on one stave with each instrument assigned one note. I found deciphering the score the longest bit in learning this piece and ended up playing from memory. I think it took me about a month or so to learn it, but this will depend on practise time skill etc.

Have fun learning it - it's a great piece and the audience will love it!!

Bart Elliott

I was going to suggest mounting the Bongos as Ben had done; using the tom mount on the Kick drum by sliding the Bongo stand top section.

You could always mount the Bongos on a normal Bongo stand and just snug it up next to the Kick drum, like one would do who doesn't mount their Toms on the Kick drum. Another thing you could do is use a rack system.

Remember that any set-up diagram that came with the multi-percussion piece is merely a suggestion. You don't HAVE to set it up that way. It's a suggestion based on how the piece flows from instrument to instrument.

Be creative and just do what works. That's part of being a percussionist ... finding the right set-up!

Jon E

I was assuming/picturing a Concert Bass Drum.  (I told you I wasn't familiar with the piece!!)