• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Where can I find replacement part for mallet instrumets??

Started by portnoymex, December 12, 2008, 01:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

portnoymex

Ok, once again Im here, with a problem, I have kelon xylophone since lat xmas, and im asking to you, if you know where can I find or get any bar for it, do I have to ask to the dealer or to the company in case that one of it breaks. And what's the rope of the bars made of, it is starting to break too, where can I find it or anything similar to it.

I'd appreciate (?) your help a lot and wish you a merry xmas!! :P :( ;D

Larry Lawless

Do you have a broken bar that you need to replace? Or do you just want a spare part in case it does? You will need to get a new bar from Ludwig/Musser if it is broken, if not, you probably won't need one. Those Kelon bars, if not abused by doing something like using brass mallets on them, will last a very long time.

As far as the mounting cord, I use parachute cord from a military surplus store to replace it. I have also used any number of synthetic cords from the local discount store (Wal-mart). I don't know what stores you have available to you. You can also buy the original cord from Musser, but it is quite a bit more expensive.

Joeos5

Hello again PortnoyMex. Well, I replaced several bars on my vibraphone and also had them tuned another time.  So, the two biggest (I think) names are Bill Youhass at Fall Creek Marimbas and Gilberto Serena at Mallet Century Instruments.   The problem is really getting the bars to them and then getting them back to Mexico.  I sent mine Estafeta one time and then picked them up in the states when I was visiting later.  The other time I took them in my suitcase with me to the states and then Fedexed them to Bill Youhauss and he in turn fedexed them back before I returned to Mexico.  I was real happy with his services by the way.  I havn't used the Century Mallet place but apparently Gilberto has years and years of experience and a good reputation.  I paid 90$ US for each bar I replaced.  I think tuning was at least 200$ or so.  Anyway, both these guys do all kinds of mallet instrument repairs.    If you google either one they are easy to find. Bill actually gave me a new chord for free and I believe they are relatively inexpensive like 10$ or so.  There are many types of chords that I am sure would work though.  When I buy things from the states I have them shipped here by Fedex or UPS. Really any big name would work though.  Maybe you know more than I about this but mail here in Mexico is not always reliable.   The other problem you may have is that you will probably need the old bar if you want to make an exact copy of it.  Anyways, talk to one of these guys and they will surely fix you up. Here's another idea:  There is a Chiapanecan Marimba (hence not worth that much) at a place where I work and I have had some success at tuning it although probably by somewhat crude methods.  You can take off some wood from one of the ends to raise thee pitch. You can do this by sanding or other methods.  If you take it off in the middle underneath you lower the pitch.  You can find info about this on the web.  Well good luck and take care, Joe

portnoymex

Yes, thanks, I think I'll check them out, I got this Musser M47 directly from USA, instead of buying it here, so I cant ask to the music stores in Mexico, for any part or anything else, I hope these guys help me.

Also, I wonder where did you get your vibraphone, if here or in USA, I wanting to get one or maybe a set of timpani, but the price here is higher than the same clouds, and there are a lot of troubles with the dollar price and the shipping, the tax and all that s**t.

Btw, I have a cracked bar, so I wanted to know what should I do if it breaks, the cord obviously breaks a lot in most intruments, but there's no military store here, so I think Ill take a look in Wal Mart or something.

Thanks both for the info, I really appreciate it.
See ya and merry xmas y'all.

Joeos5

I got my vibraphone in the US and had it shipped here.  As far as Timpani and other vibraphones I am not sure what to recommend to you.  There is much more selection in the states and they are cheaper too.  Then again  the peso value is dropping and there's the shipping as you say.  When I go to the states they allow me to bring back a musical instrument.  Could it be that the regulations are the same for you?  I have also done this several times. Not sure if you ever go there but a musical instrument falls in the category of your "personal items"  or something like thatand they don't tax or anything.  As for the cracked bar, it should be fairly easy to ship one bar to and from the states.  I imagine it will be cheaper to go to one of the guys I recommended rather than than the Musser factory. As for a brand new musical instrument this is what I did. I had my vibes shipped to a wharehouse called Mercalink.  They work with Estafeta.  They recieved my vibes and then put tax on them and I paid with a credit card.  They are not that cheap but you can basically buy online from the US and then have things shipped to your residence here in Mexico.  They put the value of my vibes at $500 several years ago with my request.  I think you could just send the bar straight through the mail though and probably avoid the  Aduana.  I have bought several things recently here and it worked like this. I do always use a major shipping company and not Mexipost. For something big you could go to Mercalink and have them handle it.  I am sure there are many ways to handle it.  BTW, are you a classical musician?  You mention xylophone, timpani etc., and I think you must be studying classical.  Well, good luck!  Feliz anyo!  Joe (I don't have the enye in my keyboard).

portnoymex

Hehe, yes feliz for you, I do have ñ (enye), yes, im studying classical, and a bit of drumset, I've used something similar to Mercalink, but is another company, and I tried to get a vibraphone, but as the price goes over 1000 USD, they dont handle it, so I thought you got one lower than that, because I havent found one less than 1000, thanks a lot for the info, it really helps me, and I ask againd, where are you from ro where do you teach??

Happy new year!!

Joeos5

Hey again, I told them (Merkalink) my vibraphone was only worth 500$ and they accepted that.  This was four years ago.  I did end up buying a vibraphone on ebay and I regreted it a little as I had to do a lot of work as in tuning and replacing some keys (teclas).  So, I live in Tepoztlan Morelos and I am from Virginia in the US.  I teach here in Tepoz and at times have taught in Cuernavaca.  At one point I taught at La Salle in Cuerna but now I just teach mostly here in Tepoz.  I also play here in Tepoz.  Recently I have been playing vibes to sequences that I make (jazz and latin jazz standards) here in Tepoz.  Recently I have been playing by myself.  Anyway if you want to know more or contact me my email is Joeos5@yahoo.com  Feliz Anyo, Joe