• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Sizing Conga Heads ???

Started by Mark Counts, February 05, 2009, 01:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Counts

I am only a conga player by default if I am asked to. My Church asked me to please get new heads for the Congas. I personally don't see a problem with the ones that are on there but I don't usually play congas. I took some measurements today and wanted to know if some of you seasoned conga players could help me? The small Conga, from drum rim to drum rim is 9.5in, The outside diameter of the ring is 12in. The head seems approx. 11.5 in but I have to remove it to get a better measurement. The large conga is 10.5in drum rim to drum rim. The outside diameter of the ring is 13in. and the head is approx. 12.5. When ordering these heads. What size do I order??? Thank you for educating me :D.
             Nutty

Bart Elliott

Conga heads are quite often not round numbers; 11", 11.5", 12.5".

The head measurements that you gave are probably the correct ones; I'm 99% sure, but I'm not the one measuring.

If you tell me which brand of Congas you have, plus the series, that will help you/me narrow it down. Sizes and measures vary from brand to brand.

Mark Counts

Quote from: Bart Elliott on February 05, 2009, 01:44 PM
Conga heads are quite often not round numbers; 11", 11.5", 12.5".

The head measurements that you gave are probably the correct ones; I'm 99% sure, but I'm not the one measuring.

If you tell me which brand of Congas you have, plus the series, that will help you/me narrow it down. Sizes and measures vary from brand to brand.
Thanks Bart,
I will have to go back to the church. I have no idea what brand they are. I was trying to order some from Musicians friends. I figure, how hard could it be. I saw heads in quarter sizes and half sizes. That is why I went and measured today.
                       Nutty

Mark Counts

Hey Bart,
The only info I could get was that they are made by LP and they are called CP, Cosmic Percussion.

Bart Elliott

Quote from: drumnut1 on February 08, 2009, 07:55 AM
Hey Bart,
The only info I could get was that they are made by LP and they are called CP, Cosmic Percussion.

Yeah, you need new heads for certain. The heads that come with the CP congas are absolutely awful. If you look up under the flesh, that's around the outside diameter of the head, you'll see that the skin is stitched (not good).

Go to the LP website, find the CP congas that you have, confirm the sizes that they offer match the sizes that you measured. Then purchase the appropriate size from someone other than LP ... unless they offer conga heads that will fit but are of better quality than what you presently have.

Mark Counts

Thank you Bart,
I would say these are decent heads for congas?? http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Remo-Medium-NuSkyn-Conga-Head?sku=443004
             Nutty

Bart Elliott

Yes ... a lot of people like the Remo NuSkyn. Evans makes some as well.
Synthetic is a good way to go for a set of congas at a church, especially if no one is planning to care for the heads by de-tuning them when not in use or when temperatures and humidity vary a lot.

Just make sure these sizes will work and you'll be good to go!

The CP Congas typically run smaller, but I haven't kept up with any of the newer drums. I didn't even know CP was still being made to be honest.

Mark Counts

I went to their site and can't find any CP. This would probably mean that the congas at church are old and the heads are original. They have been using me to buy and do maint. on all the church percussion. They trust me to get it right. I am not the one that plays the hand instruments though. Just on rare occations. I just take care of them. Thank you for your help.

Mark Counts

I have been talking to LP to get a good head size and this is what it sounds like:

Thank you Bob for responding.
I have looked and didn't see a model number anywhere. The two conga set is red.
I took some measurements today The small Conga, from drum rim to drum rim is 9.5in, The outside diameter of the ring is 12in. The head seems approx. 11.5 in but I have to remove it to get a better measurement. The large conga is 10.5in drum rim to drum rim. The outside diameter of the ring is 13in. and the head is approx. 12.5.
I like to put some good synthetic heads on these like a Remo Nuskyn or FiberSkyn since no one is an expert and will not be D tuning all the time. I have played a drum kit for over 38 years but not really proficient with congas.
                    Thank you,
                      Mark

Cosmic Percussion drums only came in even sizes (ie 10" / 11" / 12").
> They never came in fractional sizes.
> You also need specific heads for your model drums, not just any
> 10/11/12.If you can send me a pic of the drums, I should be able
> to help you
> with the part #s you need

Mark,
First, the drums are measured like a tom tom, across the top of the shell, from just outside the bearing edge to just outside the bearing edge.
Second, there have been numerous variations to the CP line, that I would really need a picture to determine the model.
Third, I do not know of any aftermarket head manufacturers that have made a synthetic head to fit the CP line.

I think he is trying to tell me that I am going to have to buy heads from them?