• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Timpani as hobby?

Started by JustAHobby, February 14, 2009, 09:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JustAHobby

Does anybody have any experience with Fiberglass Timpani?  I'm mostly just curious.  I have heard some not great comments about them but It seems like they make a lot of them so I would imagine they can't be that bad. 

Timpani is the part of percussion I spent the least time on, and I am becoming curious about what I may have missed.  Fiberglass would make the idea of Timpani as a hobby seem a little more practical but even then it's still an investment and a lot of space with limited playing/performance opportunities.  Does anybody play timpani as a hobby?

For the sake of comparison, would Fiberglass be more like synthetic to Rosewood or Padauk to Rosewood or completely different?

eardrum

Interesting question.  I don't play timpani and have no knowledge of the different kinds. But I did spent a little time in a community college orchestra.  They had the room, the tools (what is plural for timpani - timpaneye, timpaneeze??).  And, I could schedule time to practice on the stuff almost at will. Anyway, if you want to play everyday in your house you may need to build a room and spend a lot of money. If you live near a community college, look into taking a music class and getting access to the practice rooms.  Just some ideas. Good luck.

Bart Elliott

Quote from: eardrum on February 14, 2009, 03:34 PM
They had the room, the tools (what is plural for timpani - timpaneye, timpaneeze??). 

The word is Italian ... timpano is singular; timpani is plural.

Hannah Ford

Two weeks ago I had the pleasure of spending a couple of hours of quality time with my good friend Stanton Moore as he passed through Chicago.  Stanton has an incredible touch and style.

When we sat at the kit one of the first questions he asked me was "What would you like to cover"....I immediately asked him about his touch at the kit and how he pulls the sounds out that he does.

His reply was simple...take some timpani lessons. Soooo, that's what I'm going to do. lol  If it does half as much for me as it's done for Stanton that will be some great advice.

Hannah

JustAHobby

The community college in our area doesn't really have a music program.  There is a university but it's a little bit of a commute and I don't think would make for a good practice situation.  Besides by the time I paid for a class I could almost pay for a timpano, at least a fiberglass one.

But, I still appreciate your comments.  Thanks.

Chip Donaho

I started playing it in school as a hobby, which developed into a real job for me in the Army. Better pay attention, it could be your next job.  :D

David Newman

I've played on them many times - they're fine. Easy to move around and the sound is great. Are they going to sound like copper? No. But if these are for "hobby" or even local performances with community ensembles they will serve your purpose quite well. I would say the main advantage is the mobility rather than the price difference, which is often not all that much.

EDIT: Wow, old thread. Sorry.

JustAHobby

Nuclear, the tread is not that old....I really appreciate your comments. 

Do you by any chance have experience with either the Adams Universal or the Majestic Portable Fiberglass timpani?  I was curious about how the pedal on the Adams works.  It looks like it kind of hangs down out of the drum.  Adams recently came out with the Renaissance line where the base can be removed for transport but that sounded like potential mechanical problems to me.  On the Majestic the base folds down for transport.  I guess that could have similar issues but they have been around for a while. 

Edit:  Actually, I made a mistake.  Adam's new portable timpani are called Revolution.

Thanks

James Doyle

I've played on these timpani- very easy to transport.  The pedal mechanism requires a different technique to manipulate than the standard Ludwig pedals, but unless you plan on playing music with a lot of pedaling, the pedal is fine.  Perfect drums (for the price) for pit orchestra gigs, church gigs, etc.

JustAHobby

Thanks for the info James.

If you were playing pieces where you had to do a bit of tuning, do you think it is something you could adjust to or develope?

I read some literature on Adams website and I thought the called it a ballanced action pedal but I have trouble visualizing how you would release the pedal to come back up.  I would think there would have to be some type of locking mechanism.

Also, did you use copper or fiberglass?

Thanks

James Doyle

I've actually been able to check out both.  IMHO, the fiberglass sacrifice a minimal amount of tone and projection, but the difference, considering cost and weight, is negligible.  As for the action- they are significantly easier to tune versus a Dresden or Berliner style pedal- pretty straight forward and easy to use.  Do you generally play seated or standing?

David Newman

I would agree with James - you will probably find them easier to tune, rather than more difficult.

JustAHobby

I haven't played in a long time but when I did play I played standing up.

When you say easier to tune, do you mean easier than a balanced action or easier than a Dresden or Berliner style?  Also, I can't seem to find information on how tall the timpani are.  Would a 32" drum fit through standard doors?  Interior door openings are only about 29" so it would have to go sideways and depend on how deep the bowl is.

Thanks again for the information.  I really appreciate your responses.

Bart Elliott

Quote from: JustAHobby on May 21, 2009, 09:24 PM
When you say easier to tune, do you mean easier than a balanced action or easier than a Dresden or Berliner style?  Also, I can't seem to find information on how tall the timpani are.  Would a 32" drum fit through standard doors?  Interior door openings are only about 29" so it would have to go sideways and depend on how deep the bowl is.

The 32" bowl will not fit. I can still remember the major pains I went through over the years, the worst being in college, where the wheels had to be removed and the 32" timpano placed on its side to be moved through the door. Remember that the drum is actually bigger than the 32" bowl.

JustAHobby

I realized that a standard timpani would not go through but we are talking about portable drums with the legs retracted into the drums or the base removed.  I was thinking that if the drums were only 32 - 34" tall that when the drum was to be played it would be at least four to six inches shorter with the legs retracted and could be turned sideways to go through the door.  That is why I was asking about the height of the drums. 

This is the main reason for considering portable timpani.

Thanks

James Doyle

The pedals reminded me of the old Slingerland models.  Not like balanced action pedals.

The Adams drums I've played are indeed pretty low. I generally play seated so it wasn't an issue- I just lowered my stool. 

I've seen these drums in middle schools quite often- consider contacting some area directors and if they own them, perhaps you could check them out. 

JustAHobby

I justed wanted to say thanks for the information and opinions.  I appreciate the time taken to answer my questions.  It has been a big help to me.