Drummer Cafe RSS Feed Drummer Cafe on Twitter Drummer Cafe on Facebook Drummer Cafe on Google+ Drummer Cafe on YouTube Drum/Percussion eBay Auction Portal
ADVERTISEMENT

+-Recent Forum Topics

PlayMoBeat by Bart Elliott
Today at 12:08 PM

Seeking to buy a Contemporânea chrome double frigideira by Will Kreth
October 21, 2014, 03:53 PM

Wow, do your research by Steve Phelps (Shoeless)
October 20, 2014, 06:57 AM

Recommendations for sticks for very light playing (NOT hot rods) by Poh Soon Teng
October 16, 2014, 06:53 PM

A special message from Dennis Chambers by Bart Elliott
October 09, 2014, 06:45 AM

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Topic: Brush Artistry by Philly Joe Jones  (Read 4632 times)

Offline David Stanoch

• Chef de Partie
  • "Give the Drummer Some!"
    • david.stanoch
    • Rhythmelodic
Brush Artistry by Philly Joe Jones
« on: April 09, 2009, 10:09 PM »
Greetings all,

It's housewarming time in my new corner here @ the Drummer Cafe and I have a gift for YOU that's too good to pass up.

Brush Artistry by Philly Joe Jones is a long out-of-print classic. It was the first and probably, until Ed Thigpen put out his first book, only available text on the art of brushwork for many years.

I have a treasured copy myself and was smart enough twenty five years ago to go through the entire book in my studies with Jeff Hamilton when I lived in Los Angeles. It reflects Philly Joe's class, wit and sense of style, and the patterns are super-cool! Dig also the endorsements from Elvin Jones, Kenny Clarke, Max Roach, and renowned British drummer Tony Kinsey (the book was published by Premier).

Here is the link: http://www.garber.ca/marc/brush_artistry/index.htm

Fortunately the scans are in color, preserving the original look of the book. This is particularly helpful when studying the diagrams.

Enjoy a piece of history and learn from one of the masters!

Cheers.

"You are only in competition with yourself" ~ Max Roach

ADVERTISEMENT