• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Tambourine technique

Started by Joe, May 06, 2009, 04:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe

In short, I'd like to delve into tambourine.  Are they any good resources out there one can recommend?

David Stanoch

Hi Joe,
I have so much respect for the tambourine, it's such a beautiful yet under-appreciated instrument. I'm sure you'll get lots of good tips on a such a great question.

I can offer a few I hope will be useful to you...

First, I'd recommend getting a DVD copy of Standing in the Shadows of Motown and study the effortless mastery of "Black Jack" Ashford. If you take the time you can cop his moves and you'll have a solid foundation of tambourine in the gospel tradition from the man who "wrote the book" on pop-music tambourine style.

A story by way of example: I, myself did exactly the same thing a few years back. Not long afterwards I found myself on a gig playing percussion for the Supremes' Mary Wilson. The orchestra was Mary's touring band, a local horn section & me, the local percussionist.

The percussion instruments were backlined but I brought a "skin-on" tambourine, just in case, which turned out to be smart because the provided one was a standard Rhythm Tech model. As the rehearsal began Mary's MD looked straight through me and said "Play congas on the pop tunes and tambourine on the Motown ones - you do play tambourine, don't you son?" "Yes, sir," I replied. "Skin-ON tambourine?" he queried, looking impressively unimpressed. "Of course," I replied, "We're talking about Mary Wilson, right?" I answered, holding up my tambourine. He smiled and made my job easy w/great cues the rest of the night. You never know...

Anyway, after checking out "Black Jack" I'd recommend tracking down the three-part video series Airto did for DCI years ago. You'd get some stellar stuff there from The Master, but it may be "out-of-print." If you're handy on the internet I'll bet you could track it down.

Either way if you dig the Brazilian tip go check out Scott Feiner's great site, http://www.pandeiro.com. I saw Scott play @ PASIC 2008 & was blown away. His site is a terrific resource.

I don't know much on the Middle-Eastern or Classical approaches (other than the "thumb roll") but I'll bet somebody here does. Lastly, I think it's cool to have tambourine "effects" on hand to augment your drumset work as well. Jingle Rings, a mounted tambourine, a "handbourine" and Mike Balter's Louie Bellson model "jingle sticks" are all staples in my gig bag.

Good luck on this journey!

Joe

Thank you so much for the detailed (and helpful!) reply.  What a nice experience, too, with the MD.

I don't actually have a tambourine yet---I'll play on one here and there that I see (skin-on, of course; I'm interested in this type of instrument).  I would like to finally explore and enjoy what I once saw as insignificant (no doubt due to its limitless misuse).

Some of the best used tambourine I've heard?  That would have to be from the live version of Layla---the one that made the rounds as a music video a while back (and probably still does on VH1 Classic).  Also, the simple taps on 50 Ways and "Mah-Na, Mah-Na" as played on a B3 on the Benny Hill show (during the chase skits).  And, of course, as scored in Air des Clochettes from Lakme.

Bart Elliott

I have an introduction into the instrument,  http://www.drummercafe.com/education/lessons/rock-tambourine-101.html]ROCK TAMBOURINE 101 , in the Premium Resources; over an hour of assorted techniques.

Plans are to create more lessons like these as I delve into classical techniques and assorted ethnic genre uses.

Chip Donaho

I played tons of tamborine both in HS band and the Army Band. It was used very often in classical music. I played both the old style with a skin head and jingles, plus an old one I had without the head. I used that one to lay on my high hat long before the trendy ones used now. I also used it by hand in some old rock and country tunes. The trick is how you hold it, bang it agaist your palm, and the wrist motion involved. I can go jingle, jangle, shhh, pop, jingle with one.  ;D

Joe

Quote from: Chip Donaho on May 07, 2009, 10:29 AM
I used that one to lay on my high hat long before the trendy ones used now.

Hal Blaine actually invented the Ching Ring in the 60s.  Ludwig took his idea and ran with it.