• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

PASIC 2009

Started by Bart Elliott, June 13, 2009, 12:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pat Petrillo

Hey Bart!

So great to see you at PASIC, and thanks so very much for stopping by the Ludwig Booth and video taping the P4 Pad and the Epic kit.  As I mentioned to you then, and I will say it publicly, you do an outstanding job and service to the industry and drummers everywhere.  Thanks for all you do.

Would love to see the P4 video..where is it on the site?

Hope everyone as a great Thanksgiving, and see you soon!
Pat

Bart Elliott

Thank you all for the kind words and encouragement; it's my pleasure to serve you all.

Quote from: Pat Petrillo on November 19, 2009, 09:49 AM
Would love to see the P4 video..where is it on the site?

Pat, I have over five hours of video footage to wade through and edit; it's going to be awhile. I went ahead and added the Ludwig Epic footage and my interview with David Stanoch first, but the rest is going to be in order. I hope to get it all finished before the end of the month.

I just finished adding my Thursday Report to  http://www.drummercafe.tv]Drummer Cafe TV .

PASIC - Thursday Report
Video footage includes:
  • Spectrum Trio - World Showcase
  • Christopher McLaurin - Symphonic Accessories Lab
  • Exhibit Hall
  • Michael Udow / Equilibrium Percussion Products
  • University of Illinois Balinese Gamelan
  • MTSU Drumline
  • Sergio Bellotti - Drumset Clinic
  • Zoro & Daniel Glass - Drumset Clinic
  • Ju Percussion Group - Evening Concert

Chonson

Thanks for posting the clips today - dug the clips of Z&DG. Digging through the rest but I really appreciate seeing this stuff online since I couldn't make it to PASIC.

Bart Elliott

Part 2 of my report from PASIC this year currently showing on  http://www.drummercafe.com/drummer-percussionist-drum-percussion-tv-channel.html]Drummer Cafe TV . All of this footage is from Friday, November 13th.

Included in this Friday report:

* Layne Redmond - World Workshop
    * Badaboum CRR de Paris - Competition Showcase Concert
    * UNT Percussion Ensemble - Competition Showcase Concert
    * Nicholas Ormrod - Symphonic Snare Lab
    * Tobias Ralph - Drumset Clinic
    * Marc Damoulakis - Symphonic Cymbal Lab
    * Patrick Graham - World Clinic
    * Benny Greb - Drumset Clinic
    * John Wooton - World Clinic/Performance
    * Akira Jimbo - Drumset Clinic
    * Amores Grup De' Percussio' - Evening Concert
    * Dick Sisto & End of Time Quartet (featuring Ed Soph, drums) - Club.PAS
    * Exhibit Hall (Generation Custom Drums, Percussive Harmonic Instrument, Bass Drum Lift, Sticks 'n' Skins, Matt Nolan Custom, Drum Craft, Tycoon Percussion, Legacy Percussion Gear, and more!)

Bart Elliott

Well ... I'm finally getting around to getting the PASIC footage from Saturday all edited. I was so busy with gigs and sessions throughout December that I simply didn't get to finish. Plus I was working to get the Drummer Boy '08 special on Drummer Cafe TV for the holidays.

Be looking for the rest of my report from PASIC ... coming very soon!

Bart Elliott

Part 3 of my report from PASIC this year currently showing on Drummer Cafe TV. All of this footage is from Saturday, November 14th.

Included in this Saturday report:

• Ed Shaughnessy - Drumset FUNdamentals
  • Jack DeJohnette - Drumset Clinic
  • Pius Cheung - Marimba Clinic
  • Virgil Donati - Drumset Clinic
  • Tommy Igoe and the Birdland Big Band - Evening Concert
  • Interview with Drummer Cafe "Chef de Partie", David Stanoch
  • Product close-ups with Xylosynth, SuperDrum, VocalBooth, Ludwig Drums - Epic Series, Pat Petrillo's P4 Practice Pad, The Black Swan, Korg Wave Drum, White & Son Custom Percussion, and Black Swamp.

Bart Elliott

My entire report from PASIC 2009 now has a permanent home and is available here:

http://www.drummercafe.com/music-industry/featured-article/pasic-2009.html

I also included a short article about the event with my report. I originally started writing a full article for Not So Modern Drummer magazine, who had asked me to report on PASIC for them ... but mid-way through I discovered they just wanted a paragraph and some photos.  :-\  So rather than throw it out, I'm sharing it, in part, in this article here at the Drummer Cafe. I'll share more of that article here on the forum, in which I get into some of my personal impressions and memories from the event.

Bart Elliott

What surprised me the most about the PASIC clinics I attended is that I came away with far more than what my photos and video could possibly capture. Thoughts and feelings from each musical expression, as well as all the nontraditional, unconventional, creative and bizarre experiences, all mixed together in one big melting pot of memories.

Some of my favorite remembrances (in no particular order), include:

• Jack DeJohnette working a mic on his cymbals, creating an interesting sonorous effect, as well as his tribute to the drummers of Motown.
  • Sergio Bellotti, every few minutes during his clinic,  A Practical Approach to Apply the Rudiments to Everyday's Playing, would pull out a Vic Firth rudiment poster that was hidden somewhere on his person; there were at least four posters.
  • I Ketut Gede Asnawa and The University of Illinois Balinese Gamelan mixing sonic strength with visual beauty.
  • Nicholas Ormrod having students perform orchestral excerpts on three different Joyful Noise snare drums during Symphonic Snare Lab.
  • Benny Greb with his humor and incredible playing. The surprise on his face upon receiving a standing ovation very early in his clinic.
  • Christopher McLaurin playing a duo, his triangle and a spectator's phone which went off during his Symphonic Accessories Lab. I actually caught this on tape.
  • Layne Redmond getting everyone in the class to stand-up, move their feet and count out-loud using onomatopoeic type syllables as she fused Brazilian and Mediterranean rhythms on tambourine.
  • Akira Jimbo with his "very good" product endorsement descriptions, all done in broken English, which he also played up.
  • Pius Cheung with his confidence and command over the marimba.
  • Dick Sisto and Ed Soph performing together at Club.PAS.
  • The Friday evening concert with Amores Grup de Percussió who captivated the audience as they effortlessly moved from composition to composition with, what seemed to be, without a break.
  • Ed Shaughnessy still giving to the drumming community at the age of 80.

Bart Elliott

Gaetano Nicolosi, myself, and Steve Fagiano ...

After some dinner, we're hanging out, discussing the day's events during PASIC '09.

Bart Elliott

As part of the International Drum Month celebration in November, I've gone back and updated my report from PASIC 2009.

Now all of my video footage is now streaming and divided into three parts; one video report per day.

http://www.drummercafe.com/music-industry/featured-articles/pasic-2009.html]http://www.drummercafe.com/music-industry/featured-articles/pasic-2009.html