• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Repairing Timpani Mallets

Started by Todd Knapp, July 14, 2009, 04:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Todd Knapp

Lately, I've been playing/teaching timpani more often than I thought I ever would. My teaching job requires that I work with my kids on tuned percussion in addition to snare and drum kit. Luckily, lessons I took years ago have not been completely forgotten, and some recently taken lessons have really helped me get my technique together.

However, there is one thing I've never learned to do, and that's to replace the felt on worn out timpani sticks. Does anyone here have any experience repairing or even building their own mallets? I'm curious about technique, sources for materials, etc. Any help would be appreciated.

Jon E

Depending on the type/brand mallets you are referring to, recovering can fairly easy.  If they are simple felt-covered wood mallets you can do it yourself.  Hinger type mallets can be more of an issue maybe.

Basically the felt covered ones are just a circle of felt with "serrated" edges that are gathered around the shaft with thread.  Felt you can get at a fabric store (maybe even in the remnant bin (cheap). 

If there is any padding under the felt that needs replacing, Dr Scoll's molefoam or moleskin does the trick.

I'm betting you could Google or youtube this for an answer as well.

Todd Knapp

Thanks Jon, I've done the Google/Youtube thing, and found some decent information. I'm still interested to hear people's experiences doing it, however.

Jon E

I have repaired and/or made many a mallet in my days (going back to my college days).  I'm more of a replacer than a repairer these days since I don't go through them like I used to.

The old ones just get repurposed.  I.e., The felt comes off and now they are my HARD mallets.   8)