• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Esophagogastroduodenoscopy

Started by Robyn, August 20, 2009, 11:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

smoggrocks

huh, interesting. i've seen those ads for fosamax and maybe boniva, too, that talk about 'you shouldn't take this if you can't sit or stand for 30 minutes. if you have difficulty swallowing, talk to your doctor.' something like that. wonder if that's what the disclaimer relates to.

i'm really concerned about osteo coz so many of my aunts have it bad. i eat a lot of yogurt, spinach and kale, take calcium and D and lift weights. i figure i'm probably going to get it, but maybe it won't be as bad as my relatives. last thing i need is to go from 4'11" to 4'2".
:-\

regarding the scops--my tests were done quite some time back, so it seems the procedures have evolved significantly since then. oh and i would NEVER go to a nyc doc other than my dermatologist! too many people spreading too many germs. these procedures were done on a bucolic campus way outside the city limits.  ;)

so are they taking you off the fosamax?

Robyn

Yes, I'm off the Fosamax.  I will have a bone density scan this fall, then see the nephrologist (kidney dr) and he will decide whether I need a different bone drug (there's an IV one, Reclast or something, that you get once a year).  I've gained back about 10% bone mass over the last 12 yrs or so, which is really good (should be losing or keeping steady at this age), so I may not need anything at this point.

That warning re: Fosamax  is right on--you're not supposed to lay down after you take it.  Then you wait at least 45 min before you eat.  But w/ this reflux, it didn't really matter that I wasn't laying down. In any case, it will make the Barrett's worse if I continue taking it.  But it doesn't mean it's a bad drug for everyone--but those w/ reflux/GERD probably shouldn't take it.

Smoggs,you are definitely on the right track w/ what you are doing supplement-wise and w/ weight-lifting.  I have osteopenia (beginning stages of osteoporosis) b/c of years of being on steroids for my kidney disease (now in remission, no steroids).  Keep doing what you're doing.  :)

Chip, you should definitely be careful and be aware w/ this drug--dont' lay down after you take it until you can eat something.  See, you take it on an empty stomach b/c this is the way it's absorbed by the body.  When you eat, it stops being absorbed at that point.  Anyway, if you are having heartburn on a regular basis (more than a couple times a week I think is the rule of thumb) then you should see the dr. and check if you need to stop taking it. You should be having bone density scans yearly if you have osteoporosis/osteopenia.  Those are no big deal either--you lay on a table and they take a (low radiation) xray of your hip and lumbar spine.  Easy and painless.

robyn

Chip Donaho

Robyn, I take ALENDRONATE SODIUM for Fosamax once a week. I can't eat anything for 1/2 hr. after taking it. Thanks for the warning about laying down. Guess I'll just go downstairs and wake up the neighborhood for 1/2 hr after taking it.
That should do it.  ;D

Robyn

Quote from: Chip Donaho on August 31, 2009, 03:39 PM
Thanks for the warning about laying down. Guess I'll just go downstairs and wake up the neighborhood for 1/2 hr after taking it.
That should do it.  ;D

There ya go!  ;D  Alendronate is generic Fosamax, so you're right--it's the same drug.

robyn