• Welcome to Drummer Cafe Community Forum.

Gout

Started by Rylie, October 16, 2009, 06:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rylie

I woke up Tuesday with a swollen, red left knee. The pain was intense once I started walking on it, and by noon it was almost unbearable. It felt like an abcessed tooth pain from my ankle to my hip. I called my doctor, and they had me come in right away (they had an opening).

Turns out I have gout. Yep...gout. I do not lead a sedentary life, nor do is my diet such that it could be the direct cause. The doctor said it can be genetically predisposed, so I'm going with that even though no one in my family has ever had it to my knowledge. He prescribed steroids and anti-inflammatory meds. I don't take anti-inflammatory drugs as they don't agree with me, but I did take the steroids, which is a 6 day regimen of varied doses at varied times of the day. The pain went away by the end of the day after the first dose of steroids, so that's good.

This stuff can flare up at any time, I'm told, and I worry about what affect it may have on my ability to play drums.

Anyone else ever have this? Just curious.

Michael Beechey

Hi...I feel for you......I had it in knee.....a few years back....overdid the road kill.....went on trad. treatment...colchicine/alopurinol
...researched it lately, thought it was back...turned out to be miniscus damage...had surgery this week, no more thumping for a while....

Anyway, while researching gout found a longgggg list of provocative foods, check it out...scary....weird stuff like sardines, lentils, brocolli etc etc etc...in general, cut down on protein...

I have a morning shake for anti inflammatory/arthritic/joint maintenance....2 tbs raw flax seeds/big chuck of ginger (zinnnnnng....acquired taste!...wife hates it!)/1/4 tsp turmeric/1/2 cup blueberries....used to add protein powder, but went to a natureopath who tested me for "sensitivities" to soy/whey/wheat/dairy/nuts...so goodbye whey/soy powder...hello rice protein/bread/pancakes etc...small complication, I'm type 2 diabetic, so rice is high GI....when I'm not feeling too lazy to wash the juice machine I also add fresh carrot/celery/spinach juice...dash of lemon juice for even more zing....

good luck!

Rylie

Yikes.

Ironically, I t-boned a 16 year old joy rider who turned left in front of me in his daddy's Land Rover on my Harley Ultra Classic back in '99, and I damaged my maniscus (among other miscellaneous stuff). Perhaps that may have something to do with this!

I'll check out the food-cause thing in more detail though...thanks!

NY Frank

Get better, brother.

I don't experience this myself, but my - younger - brother-in-law deals with it.
Post meds, he seems to be doing fine.

Rylie

Quote from: New York Frank on October 16, 2009, 05:20 PM
Get better, brother.

I don't experience this myself, but my - younger - brother-in-law deals with it.
Post meds, he seems to be doing fine.

Thanks, Brother In Thrift!

It only hurts when I'm having fun.  ;D